HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-17-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
Lauriesh

Block Center

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has gone to the Block Center in Evanston, Ill for treatment or a consult. I am thinking about going there, and wondering if anyone has any experience with them.

thanks,

Laurie
Stage 4, diagnosed 7/2010
Lauriesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:13 PM   #2
StephN

Re: Block Center

Hi -
My brother-in-law went to the Block Center for a consult on his prostate cancer. He was VERY happy with his reception there, his examination and their recommendations.

My only close recommendation with this center.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:16 AM   #3
chicagoetc

Someone I know went there too and was glad to have gone there....
Portacath: 9/7/07
Chemo: 9/14/07 with AC (every three weeks) for four rounds
Physical Therapy for ROM Loss / "Cording" (but not Lymphodema)
Taxol + Herceptin weekly (started 12/2007 with 8 of 12 Taxol)
Radiation: (28 rads from 3/07 to 4/07)
Reconstruction (silicone implant)
Herceptin done (10/08)
Cognitive Remediation (11/08 - 12/08)
Lymphedema Diagnosed 5/10/10 (almost 3 years post cancer diagnosis)
Lymphedema Rehab 9/10/10 - 11/10/10
Six years NED...7/7/2013!
chicagoetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #4
Unregistered

I went to the Block Center August 2009. I still go there twice a year for followups.
It is a most wonderful place. I would recommend this place to everyone with Cancer, regardless of what type and what stage. I had breast cancer and had 4 rounds of chemotherapy. I had NO nauseau, tiredness, or any other negative side effects. I had my chemo on Monday and was back to work on Wednesday. [I live in Michigan and they are in Illinois so I had to fly back and forth, that's why the additional day between chemo and work]. They have a 'spa' feel, which is what they want. They treat the mind and body. So while I was having my 6 hour chemo experience, which includes an IV drip of Vitamins and Minerals at the end, I also was able to schedule one hour with a physical therapist to do general exercising, one hour with a massage therapist, then I spent one hour at the group cooking demonstration and then one hour at the group exercise class. It was 4 hours of fun, all while walking around with my IV pole. The Block Center puts you on an eating program for life, thus the cooking demos. You are also put on supplements. The eating plan is vegetarian style, sugar free, dairy free, whole grains, proteins are beans, fish, eggs, tofu & seiten [wheat meat]. The program is portion controlled based on each individual. I don't consider this a diet because the overall point isn't to lose weight, it's to never have a recurrence of cancer. Dr. Block wrote a book called "Life Over Cancer", you can get it at any bookstore. It is all about his program and the supplements and eating plan. He says if you started on this eating plan from birth, you would never get Cancer. Otherwise, if you already have it then this will prevent a recurrence. Although it is very limiting if you aren't already a vegetarian, you certainly won't feel hungry. Dr. Block's wife is a therapist, so she handles patient's emotional needs. Since I had Hodgkins Disease when I was 21 in 1986, thus the breast cancer from the radiation treatments I had, I was in need of her services. Dr. Block told me that people on his eating plan say they haven't felt this good in years. After being on it for 3 months I understood why. You loose all the extra fat you have and you have loads of energy. Of course you feel great. :-)
When you start there you have an ocologist and a nutritionist assigned to you. My consultation was 5 hours long. Everyone there is very positive and helpful.
Feel free to call me at work if you want to talk at 616-956-4736. I can give you my home number if you want to talk after work hours. I can go on and on but I've tried to highlight the overall program.
I hope this has helped.
All the best to you.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:14 PM   #5
ElaineM

Wink Re: Block Center

I have always been interested in integrative medicine and use it in my own life. I participated in a tele conference last year when Dr. Block was the host and learned alot of very useful information.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote