HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-12-2004, 02:16 AM   #1
Anonymous

anyone take flax seed? with or without chemo? does it benefit you at all? is pill form as good as the regular seed form?
Old 01-12-2004, 04:27 AM   #2
Hope

I take the ground flaxseed in my cereal everything morning, about 2 tablespoon. I am Stage IV with mets to lungs and bone and currently on Navelbine/Herceptin. I have heard that flaxseed is good in reducing tumor size. However, when I mentioned to my onc. she disapproved of me taking it saying there is no validity to the studies made. I still take it. I don't know if it is doing any good. I got my scans today and get my report on Thursday. I pray my tumors have shrunk. I also would like to hear from others on flaxseed. I am also er/pr neg.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:45 AM   #3
Leslie

Hi,
After I finished chemo and radiation, I had the energy to research dietary and supplemental things that I could do to hopefully help keep me cancer free. I take 2-3 TBS of ground flax seed every night mixed in some juice or water. I don't know if it helping as far as cancer goes, but I do know that the Omega 3's that it is rich in are touted to have many healthful benefits. My skin is much softer and less dry, and that is after chemo induced menopause that should make it drier if anything. Also it is supposed to help with inflammation. Not sure if it is or not - seems like I still have lots of tendon imflammation. The fiber is good for the intestinal system. I use the whole flax seeds and grind them in a little grinder every night.(I ordered an introductory package that came with a grinder and some seeds from Dakota Flax Gold over the internet.) Only takes a few seconds and than I know they are fresh. The capsules don't have the lignans (found in the outside shell of the seed) that are supposed to be an anticancer agent. If you are estrogen positive, there is some controversy about if they should be used, as they are a phytoestrogen (weak plant estrogen). I am hormone negative so that was not a consideration for me. Hope this helps.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:07 AM   #4
Sandy

I use Barleans flaxeed oil with low fat cottage cheese(2 Tbsp with 1/4 c cottage cheese)I do 4 to 6 Tbsp a day. For cancer patients, I was told by my supplement researcher, it needs to be Barleans and low fat cottage cheese. I believe there is info on the internet regarding this. There must be something to it because I get the flaxeed oil directly from the manufacture for wholesale cost ( 1/2 the cost ) if I tell them I am a cancer patient. The number is 1-800-445-3529. Why would they sell it to us cancer patients and not make money? They have a nice packet of info they will send you free just call and ask for it. The muffin receipe is wonderful. I eat them everyday. I have been free of arthritis pain since using this combo. I am waiting to see if I remain pain free while on chemo. As for the cancer who knows I don't if it works or not. I hope this is helpful. Hugs, Sandy
Old 01-18-2004, 03:12 PM   #5
carol

I use my coffee grinder to grind up my flax seeds every day.
I store what I grind up in the freezer as they tend to go rancid quickly. I too use Barleans oil and you can extend the oil's life be storing any extra bottles in the freezer. Don;t forget to shake the bottle as the healthful lignans settle to the bottom. I don't think it has helped the BC situation but the rest of my body is fine. Maybe it has helped to slow the progression of the BC along with the Herceptin and all the other supplments and alternative therapies that I take.