HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Profiles In Courage
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2005, 04:53 AM   #1
Linda

Hi This is my first time posting. Was diagnosed 5 years ago this month. 4.5cm. tumor, 4nodes pos. ER neg Her2 pos. Had masectomy, AC, then taxotere with herceptin and also radiation . I am on herceptin now indefinitely( NO other chemo), every 3 weeks. Been ned for over 4 and a half years.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:15 PM   #2
Carolyn

Linda , that is fantastic. I am very happy for you.
Have you ever had to take a break from Herceptin for any reason (ie: low muga scan , etc)? If so, how long was before you were able to take the drug again?
Old 04-27-2005, 07:37 PM   #3
michele u

Linda, What stage were you in to start with? Were you in the adjuvant Herceptin trial? I'm surprised they left you on Herceptin that long! If it's working great. I just didn't know anyone would do that not being stage 4.
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 12:56 PM   #4
yuka

Hi Linda,I am so happy to hear your story. I think herceptin has been doing very good job!
Did you have any adverse effect from herceptin?I am now wondering whether should I get herceptin or not,because I got AC chemo and adriamycin has the same adverse effect on heart as herceptin and I am really worried about that.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:10 AM   #5
Gabrielle

Dear Linda,

Keep on going!!

It's been 5.5 years for me -- Stage IIIa, 5 cm tumor; 9/21 positive nodes; Her2/Neu, ER negative. I was 44 yrs old at diagnosis. I had a mastectomy followed by a prophylactic mastectomy and hysterectomy.

After 4 rounds of Adria/Cytox; 4 rounds of taxotere; and 25 hits of radiation, I found a doc who gave me a year of Herceptin. Upon my own request, I've had my heart checked every year since -- no damage.

My kids were 12 and 9 at diagnosis -- a lot to fight for. My oldest turns 18 this Friday. God is good.

Hugs,
-Gabrielle
Old 08-23-2005, 01:42 PM   #6
BENTLEY

HI, I am new to this site as well. I was diagnosed with bc in sept 04. tumor size was 1.5 cm 1 node postive. I went through 6 rounds of tac chemo. I did not know that was HER2 postive until last week when I changed oncologist. so, i did my muga test today and supposed to start herceptin on monday. it feels like i am starting over again. i am 42 and married and have a 4 year old son. i just can't stop crying, doc said i am post menapause wow it was so fast. i very scared and really struggling with my emotions. anyone there that can pass on some words of wisdom?
Old 08-23-2005, 02:09 PM   #7
triciak

Congratulations, Linda! And, Bently, you aren't really starting over but adding some more arrows to your quiver! Herceptin is not a chemo, as you know, but a monoclonal antibody which specifically fights the overexpression that causes our kind of cancer. Before herceptin people didn't live very long with this kind of cancer. It was the most serious kind of BC they had no treatment for back then. Now they do! My oncologist said if they hadn't caught my third BC a year and a half ago I wouldn't have lived 3 months, because it was the first one in my 20-year battle that was her2. I am now cancer-free after a year on herceptin and femara (and 6 months at first on navelbine, too). I feel we are so very blessed to have herceptin available to us now. I hope this website will bring you as much encouragement as it has me. I pray you will have many years to continue fighting. There are so many new things on the horizon to fight BC, and yes cure and even prevent it from ever happening. You will find not only encouragement but love and understanding on this website. My Swedish proverb is: "Yoost kip a'kippin' on!!" Hugs, Tricia