HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-14-2007, 08:37 PM   #1
michele u

Cool Tangerine peels

Did anyone hear the news about the tangerine peels? I missed it on TV but i googled it and read it. In the article it made it sound like eating the peels might have the same effect as tamoxifen!! I dont know how to put the article here, but maybe someone can do it. I just google tangerine peels and cancer I just bought 2 tangerines at Walmart!! Now i'm wondering how in the world i'm supposed to eat the peels! Does anyone know???

dx: August 2003 stage 3b 35 pos nodes ER/PR neg Her+
4 AC 12 weekly taxol
one year Herceptin in trial
35 rad tx
vaccine trial Seattle
NED
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:39 PM   #2
Sandy in Silicon Valley

Thumbs down Tangerine peels & cancer

Hi, Michelle -

I'd say it's not time to start munching those tangerine peels quite yet... you WERE going to eat the PEELS on the tangerines you bought, right?

Here's one link to a description of the research:
<http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/82015.php>

We've been discussing this very topic, hot off the too-little-info, too-much-hype presses, on bcmets.org. I suggested candy-ing the peel, then dipping it in bittersweet chocolate, or making marmalade with it, warming the preserves with some Triple Sec, and pouring it over vanilla icecream. Otherwise, tangerine peel is pretty leathery and bitter...

Then, too, this seems to be petrie dish research - not anything used in even animals, much less humans, as yet! Way too early to know if the key element in the peel, Salvestrol, works inside the human body, once metabolized. Also too early to know if it is toxic, or if it would interact with other drugs, like Tykerb, which patients are told to avoid grapefruit while on the drug - because it prolongs the time the drug remains in one's body!

As I've understood research stats - about 10% of petrie dish research ever makes it to in vivo (in animals) research, then 10% of those in vivo studies make it to human Phase I clinical trials (1% of research begun in petrie dishes) - and even fewer make it out of Phase I and II trials and into Phase III, where those "finalists" often get shot down anyway. So the odds are way against tangerine peels/Salvestrol becoming an FDA approved treatment for cancer.

Not very good odds, so you might want to enjoy the juicy fruit you just bought, without trying to injest the peel!

Sandy in Silicon Valley
1999 - off Tamoxifen, on Arimidex
2003 - dx'd Stage IV - lymph nodes & lungs. ER-/PR-/HER2neu+++.
Tx: Herceptin & Taxotere (6 cycles).
2005 - 2.9cm x 3.6cm brain tumor. Craniotomy, CyberKnife. 9 mo. staph aureus infection at incision site - 2nd craniotomy. Two small brain mets CyberKnife'd.
2006 - revisit Xeloda - dosage lowered to 2500mg/day, 5 cycles.
2007 - "spot" dx'd on qtrly brain MRI - same location as CyberKnife 7/05. > by 2-4mm per quarter - - radiation injury or re-growing cancer? Tykerb added to Herceptin - July, still "watching & waiting". Otherwise, fully functional...

"The majority of people are not only afraid of holding a wrong opinion, they are afraid of holding an opinion alone." Kierkegaard
Sandy in Silicon Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:00 AM   #3
Believe51

Location: RHODE ISLAND (Ed getting me a latte on 2nd Cancerversary Cruise 2008) 'BELIEVE': To accept as true or real, To have faith in, To presume ALWAYS BELIEVE
Red face Ow Yummy!

I am a citrus-aholic and have been eating peels for ions, every way possible. Yumm!! Guess what I will be doing when I get a free moment today girls?? Thanks Sandy!! (I must admit, I do eat lemon peels straight. Ew yummy!!) (pucker pucker)

Believe51
9/7/06Husband 50yrs=StageIV IBC/HER2+,BoneMets10/06TaxotereX10,'H'1X wk,Zometa,Tamoxifen4/12/07Last Tax5/18/07Pet=Rapid Cell Activity,No Organ Mets,Lytic Lesions,Degeneration,Some Bone Repair5/07ChemoFail6/01/07Pleural Thoracentisis=Effusions,NoMalignantCells6/19/07+7/2/07DFCI
6/25/07BrainMRI=BrainMets,Many<9mm7/10/07WBR/PelvisRad37.5Gx15&Nutritionist8/19/07T/X9/20/07BrainMRI=2<2mm10/6/07Pet=BoneProgression
10/24/07ChemoFail11/9/07A/Cx10,EndTam12/7/07Faslodex12/10/07Muga7512/13/07BlasticLesions1/7/08BrainMRI=Clear4/1/08Pet=BoneImprovement,
NoProgression,Stable4/7/08BrainPerfect5/16/08Last A/C8/26/08BrainMets=10(<9mm)9/10/08Gamma10/30/08Met=5mm12/19/08Gamma5mets5
12/22/08SpinalMets1/14/09SpinalRads2/17/09BrainMRI=NoNewMets4/20/09BoneScan5/14/09Ixempra6/1/09BrainMRI=NumerousMets6/24/09DFCIw/DrBurstein6/26/09Continue
Ixempra/Faslodex/Zometa~TM now lower7/17/09Stop Ixempra By Choice9/21/09HOSPICE10/16/09Earned His Deserved Wings And Halo=37 Month Fight w/Stage 4 IBC, Her2+++,My Hero!!
Believe51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:36 AM   #4
hutchibk

Hmmm - interesting. I am not a peel eater, but maybe should start. I wonder if Elizabeth Edwards will change her mind about not consuming tangerines (to reduce her carbon footprint) if she learns about the health benefits to bc patients...

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:01 AM   #5
RhondaH

Exclamation Here is Diana Dyers phytochemical shake AND an additon w/ the tangerine...

this was on her blog.

"A new research study in the news today reported that a molecule called Salvestrol Q40, found in tangerine peel, destroyed cancer cells in a laboratory setting. Every winter when tangerines come into season, I periodically add a whole one to my soy shake recipe, peel and all. I have been doing this for 12 years. I love the taste (zing!) and I always figured there must be something good in those peels. I know that other researchers have been studying various molecules in other citrus peels for their anti-cancer activity, too, although there are not yet a lot of published studies.

Don't wait for a new chemotherapy or chemopreventive drug to be developed from this research. Eat your whole foods now, yes, including the peelings (at least a little bit, once in a while!).

Here is the basic recipe for Diana's SuperSoy and Phytochemical Shake:

2 1/2 oz. soft or silken tofu (1/6 of a 1 lb. block)
3/4 cup of soy milk
1 large carrot or 6 - 8 baby carrots
3/4 cup of orange juice
3/4 cup fresh or frozen fruit
1-2 tablespoons of wheat or oat bran
1-2 tablespoons of wheat germ
1-2 tablespoons of ground or whole flax seed

Don't be afraid to vary the recipe and spice it up. Adding a whole tangerine is a great addition. :-)"

Take care

Rhonda

Dx 2/1/05, Stage 1, 0 nodes, Grade 3, ER/PR-, HER2+ (3.16 Fish)
2/7/05, Partial Mastectomy
5/18/05 Finished 6 rounds of dose dense TEC (Taxotere, Epirubicin and Cytoxan)
8/1/05 Finished 33 rads
8/18/05 Started Herceptin, every 3 weeks for a year (last one 8/10/06)

2/1/13...8 year Cancerversary and I am "perfect" (at least where cancer is concerned;)

" And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:21 AM   #6
hutchibk

That sounds awesome, but I don't consume any soy... as requested by my doc. I suppose I can substitute rice milk and organic lowfat plain yogurt and get much of the same taste and health benefit.

Thanks Rhonda.

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:18 PM   #7
RhondaH

Wink Brenda...

I drink it every day (I thrown garbanzo beans in it too as I don't care for them plain) AND my 6yo drinks it too...it's good.

Rhonda

Dx 2/1/05, Stage 1, 0 nodes, Grade 3, ER/PR-, HER2+ (3.16 Fish)
2/7/05, Partial Mastectomy
5/18/05 Finished 6 rounds of dose dense TEC (Taxotere, Epirubicin and Cytoxan)
8/1/05 Finished 33 rads
8/18/05 Started Herceptin, every 3 weeks for a year (last one 8/10/06)

2/1/13...8 year Cancerversary and I am "perfect" (at least where cancer is concerned;)

" And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 12:20 PM   #8
Becky

Peels have always been touted to be good for you. One way to get them is to eat kumquats as you eat the whole thing in one bite.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:41 PM   #9
hutchibk

My neighbor has a Kumquat tree and the other neighbor has a very profound fig tree...

I am guessing and suggesting to those who desire to try the tangerine peels - to err towards organic if possible. The conventional grown will be sprayed with stuff that you probably don't want in your body. (if I'm not mistaken, pesticides mimic 'bad' estrogen in the women's body; and tamoxifen [or Salvestrol Q40 - which is supposed to act like tamox?...] is supposed to counter the bad estrogens. Even if my logic is on track, my science might be a little off, here.)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Sept'05~
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
May'07~
June'07~
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
Sept'08~
Oct'08~
Dec'08~
June'09~
Sept'09~
Oct'09~

Old 09-20-2007, 05:15 PM   #10
vickie h

peels should be organic

You are absolutely right to suggest organic as the peel holds alot of the pesticides/aluminum/heavy metals which is horrible for cancer patients, or anyone for that matter. Eating the whole fruit is right on the mark, but organic is the way to go. Love, Vickie

Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass,
It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Feb 04 IBC IIIC/IV er-/pr- her2+++
3/04 TCH X4
7/ 04 MRM 9/04 Taxol/herceptin wkly 1 yr 33X rads
11/04 skin mets 33x rads,10/05 Avast/Herc. 11 mos.
8/ 06 PET mets lymphs, neck
9/ 06 Navelbine/herceptin
11/ 06 PET NED
2/ 07 skin mets, 4/07 Xeloda, 5/07 add Tykerb
2/ 08 Tykerb failed. Doxil /Herceptin 6 months
8/08 PET skin mets, 8/08 Abraxane/Avastin
11/ 08 PET prog., skin mets
1/09 PET/CT progress, 1/09 Ixempra, 2/09 add Xeloda and low dose Naltrexone
2/09 off Ixempra/Xeloda
3/09 navelbine/herc/cytoxin 4/09 PET shows regress.7/09 start Topotecan. Failed.
8/09 extensive mets rgt brst, back and torso. starting Pazopanib clinical trial.
vickie h is offline   Reply With Quote