HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-03-2007, 07:54 PM   #1
michele u

Tykerb --- diarrhea!

I know diarrhea is a side effect of the Tykerb, but already after one dose!! Does it get better girls? or do i have to live with it? I'm going to try taking it in the am so the diarrhea isn't at bedtime, but then again working might be interesting!

dx: August 2003 stage 3b 35 pos nodes ER/PR neg Her+
4 AC 12 weekly taxol
one year Herceptin in trial
35 rad tx
vaccine trial Seattle
NED
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:01 PM   #2
chrisy

Hi Michele,
I only have had very slight problems with diahhrea - and it did seem like it was more of a problem when I first started. it also seems that it was related to how long it was after I took the tykerb before I ate anything - that is, how long my stomach was empty except for the tykerb. That's just my experience, I haven't really heard anyone else saying that.
Good luck, Michele
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:21 PM   #3
VaMoonRise
Deceased

Hi Michele,

When I was on Tykerb I had a terrible time with diarrhea the entire time that I was on it which was for 15 months. I lived on Immodium, I would take Immodium every morning as soon as I woke up before I took the Tykerb. Tykerb is to be taken 2 hours before or 2 hours after a meal. The Immodium helped me a great deal and without it I would have been living in the bathroom the entire time I was on Tykerb.

Everyone is different though and hopefully this wont be a problem for you the entire time. Be sure to let your onc know. My onc was fine with me taking Immodium everyday and there are prescription drugs you can take if the Immodium doesn't work for you. You can also try the BRAT diet for a while and see if that helps.

Wishing you all the best,
Nicola
VaMoonRise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:55 AM   #4
IRENE FROM TAMPA

Smile yep it happens Michele

unfortunately this is one of the side effects. I started last August on this combo, and I still do experience diarhhea (?) but Immodium can control. When I first started, within the first two weeks I had terrible gastritist like symtoms. I have been able to manage better (either that or I am getting used to it. ) I go in spurts where its better then I get to where I can't even drink something that I have to go to the bathroom.

It will I am sure level out some and the Immodium will help. I need to start taking it again myself.

Good luck, other then that it is a pretty easy drug to take.
TREAT: STEM CELL REPLACEMENT/HERCEPTIN.
2002 - RECUR TO LIVER
TREAT: NAVELBINE, THEN GEMZAR, THEN XELODA.
2004 - TUMORS STILL IN LIVER
TREAT: RFA TO LIVER
STABLE UNTIL
2004 - TUMOR PROGRESSION IN LIVER.
TREAT: RESECT HALF OF LIVER.
2005 - RECURR TO LYMPH NODE OUTSIDE OF LIVER.
TREAT: TAXOL/CARPO/HERCEPTIN. FAILED ON
THIS TRIO. STARTED ON ABRAXANE.
2006 - PROGRESS WITH 2ND TUMOR GROWTH.
TREAT: AUG. BEGAN ON TYKERB/XELODA
TRIAL. CONSIDERED STABLE TO DATE.
2007 - TAKEN OFF OF TYKERB/XELODA TRIAL DUE TO
PROGRESS STARTING TYKERB/AVASTIN.
NOV 2007 - SCANS SHOW PROGRESS TUMOR GROWTH
IN ABDOM. AND TWO NEW TUMORS IN NECK AREA.
BEGAN HERCEPTIN/AVASTIN/TAXOTERE
Feb 08 - Ixempra/Xeloda
June 08 - Her/DM1 trial

"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY."
IRENE FROM TAMPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:03 PM   #5
Sherryg683

That is the reason I took myself off Tykerb after a week of usage. I had such terrible diahrea that I felt totally weak. It started after the first dose and food would just go through me. Nothing seemed to help, immodium or anything. Then came all the little white pimples. I decided to get off it and keep it for later if my cancer came back. I just didn't feel like putting my body through that unless it was necessary. It wasn't an easy drug for me but if I need it later, I guess I could wear a diaper..lol..sherryg683

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:06 PM   #6
Carolyns

Hi Michele,

I must be lucky. I set my alarm for one hour prior to waking up and rise take my pills and then go back to sleep for one hour. Then I rise and get ready ...must make to trips to the john. Then coffee (less that half a cup) and breakfast, toast with olive oil and fish oil. That's it for me no other worries...so far at about 20 days on Tykerb.

I will say that I notice a little more trouble if I eat fatty foods like ribs or pork. I tend to eat mostly veggies, rice, salads and fruit.

Good luck, I hope it gets better for you!
Carolyn
Carolyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:07 PM   #7
Carolyns

Michele, I forgot...important to drink lots of water! Carolyns
Carolyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:31 PM   #8
Joannie

I have had diarrhea on and off again with Tykerb. It will be bad for a couple of days then it goes away. I do have the pimples that was mentioned earlier. I wondered if that was a side effect. I feel like a teenager!
Joannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:51 PM   #9
hutchibk

In 3.5 weeks on Tykerb, I have only had 3 bouts of diarrhea, and they were all in the first 8 days. Since then, I have paid very, very close attention to what I eat. I start most mornings with the BRATT diet, (banana, (brown)rice, applesauce, toast and tea) - I believe that really helps me alot through the rest of the day. Ditto to what Carolyn said, anything junky or fried or too much meat makes my stomach really tender and poopy. As that is not how I typically eat anyway, it is not hard for me to avoid those foods. I eat mostly fresh and healthy and whole grain. I do notice that my intestinal fortitude is a little more compromised during the 2 weeks that I take Tykerb and Xeloda together than the week that I take Tykerb alone....

And DRINK, drink, drink your water!!!

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:17 AM   #10
julierene

I got it under control with Imodium AD, then I got constipated, then hemroids! I had bleeding and it hurt SO bad! I jokingly told my father that I didn't have periods anymore, I just bled from my bum and that my poop hole was really sore! Sometimes I think humor is the only way to go. The gas pains were very painful too. But the good news for me is that it seems to be getting a little bit better, almost like my body is getting used to it.
Aug 04: 4 Taxotere
Dec 05: Bone and Liver METS; Stage 4. Carboplatin/Taxol/Herceptin. DX with Li-Fraumeni Syndrome
Apr 06: NED, maintenance Herceptin
Apr 07: CA1503=14; masses in liver; Xeloda/Tykerb
Nov 07: NED, Tykerb maintenance
Sept 08: Liver mets again, on Tykerb/Xeloda again, CA=19 and 27
Nov 08: Progression, Tykerb/Gemzar, CA=25
Dec 08: Progression, Herceptin/Navelbine, CA=40, 57, and 130
Jan 09: Progression in bone, recession in liver, Herceptin/Carbo/Abraxane CA=135
June 09: CA27/29=24, chemo break
Sept 09: Progression, CA=24, waiting on clinical trial (4 weeks no treatment)
Nov 09: now have brain mets, trial "on hold", getting 14 WBR treatments starting 11/2/09
Dec 09: possible start on p53 trial
julierene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:32 AM   #11
Susan2

When I first started, the diarrhea was so bad, I became dehydrated. I had IV fludis for 2 days. I went off both drugs for a couple of weeks. This time around, my dr. lowered the Tykerb dosage (kept the already low-dose Xeloda) and I'm now doing fine. I average about 1 immodium every 3-5 days. But if I eat fried food, it's a problem. That's not a big deal since I eat very little of it anyway.

Best of luck,
Susan
Susan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:32 PM   #12
Shell

Michele-

I take tykerb before bed, and usually experience diarhhea once in the morning, and then I take 2 immod ad and haven't had any further problems. But I am losing weight, which I don't want to do, so i'm goiing to watch out for that...

regards,

init diag 3/17/03-stage IIIC
ER-/PR-/HER2+++
CET x4 neo-adjuvant
lump & SNB 8/03
CET x2
radiation and herceptin/navelbine 11-03-1/04
1st reoccur to lymph nodes 8/04
complete axillary dissection 12/04
herceptin/taxotere til progression (lungs) 3/05
xeloda w/out lapatinib trial 6/05
lapatinib/tykerb added 4/06
ended trial 8/06 due to progression
doxil / avastin 11/06-12/06 - wasn't working
navelbine/herceptin/avastin 12/06/3/07 - progression
gemzar/carboplatin/tykerb 4/07
mri shows extensive mets to bone in pelvic area 6/07
switched to abraxane (3 on/1 off) + tykerb 6/07
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:45 PM   #13
lu ann

I have been on narcotic pain killers that make me slightly to severily constipated. Whenever I was on a chemo that caused diarhea, it seemed to even out.

Are any of you having the same experience as I with pain meds/tykerb? I will be starting tykerb and xeloda soon.

Thanks, Lu Ann
lu ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:34 AM   #14
Rupali

Hi Michele U,
I guess the diahrrea might be a temporary thing as your body starts getting use to TYkerb.
My case is pretty similar to your case and I am having a very tough ime to convince the doctors to give me tykerb as monotherapy on a preventive basis.
Can you give me some tips on how I can convince my docs. Also how did you go about convincing the insurance company for off label use.
Please help.
Regards,
Rupali
Rupali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:46 PM   #15
michele u

Rupali,

my onc. basically lets me do what i want!! He knows i research alot and I'm a nurse. I told him long ago that I will do anything and everything!! He did tell me NO to 2 years of Herceptin though. I'm glad he did. I think since Tykerb is oral and there are some trials starting now on early tykerb, he knows that someday Tykerb will be like Tamoxifen. My insurance company first denied it. Then he wrote a letter of necissity and then they paid it. What really helped me was the Tykerbcares program. You can find it on the internet. They helped and did most of the work. They are the ones that got me in touch with the Patient Acess Network Foundation that paid for my copay of 900 dollars a month

dx: August 2003 stage 3b 35 pos nodes ER/PR neg Her+
4 AC 12 weekly taxol
one year Herceptin in trial
35 rad tx
vaccine trial Seattle
NED
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:32 PM   #16
Rupali

Hi Michele,

Thanks for your reply. If I may ask is it possible that I can have a phone consult with your oncologist and maybe that way I could maybe be able to get my community oncologist to talk to him and she can then prepare a similar leter for my insurance company. I have CIGNA HMO. I know I am asking for too much but I am in a desperate situation to get this drug and somehow have the insurance pay for it.
If you dont mind then you can give me the name of your oncologist in a private message or send it in an email to my husband at saurabhkapoor27@hotmail.com
AS you are a nurse so you must be knowing your oncologist pretty well, is it possible thta I can have a secnd opinion from him and as my case is so similar to your case so maybe I can have him as my oncolgist for major treatment advices.

Thanks for you r help. I really appreciate it.
Regards,
Rupali
Rupali is offline   Reply With Quote