HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Diet and Nutrition
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Diet and Nutrition By popular demand our nutritional message board. This board will be monitored by a Registered RD who is certified in oncology by the American Dietetic Association

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-17-2014, 10:08 PM   #1
cjjhero

Neulasta and eating difficulties

My sister just completed 2 out of 6 rounds of TCH chemo. She is also receiving neulasta to build up her white cells. She tolerates the TCH chemotherapy well. However, when she gets her neulasta shot she starts having problems.

Her neulasta shot is given 3 days after chemo. She is eating and drinking well and has a little nause after chemo. She is on Zofran for nausea. After the neulasta almost immediately she is experiencing loss of appetite, anxiety (she was diagnosed with GAD: general anxiety disorder prior to her cancer diagnosis), diarrhea. She starts refusing to drink hardly and will not try to eat. She has lost almost 20 pounds since she started chemo in the middle of March 2014.

I found out today that some of the side effects are loss of appetite, diarrhea, and anxiety. Since she already has the anxiety disorder the neulasta is making her mental condition even worse. She is not rationalizing anything.

My sister and I are STNAs, CNAs of over 15+ years working in various nursing home settings. I worked as an STNA on a Alzheimer unit for over 6 years. We know the importance of nutrition especially with cancer treatment/diagnosis.

We have discussed her appetite and anxiety issues with her oncologist. He said to make sure she's drinking at least, taking imodium for diarrhea and her prescriptions. There really isn't anything else he can do for her.

What suggestions can we make to her to calm her down? I don't live with her. She lives with my other sister who is an STNA also. She is taking time off from work for care for our sister with HER2.

Thank you.
cjjhero is offline   Reply With Quote