HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-30-2009, 09:42 AM   #1
Lani

breast cancer patients on cardiotoxic chemo, herceptin are not getting proper heart

failure treatment per Dr. Yoon of Stanford speaking at cardiology conference now being held in Orlando

http://www.theheart.org/article/952289.do
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
AlaskaAngel

Angry Tip of the Iceberg

I think the lack of attention is due to lack of coordination of care, with oncs focused on the initial attack and then monitoring for recurrence and paying almost zero attention to the complications of treatment over time. No one sets any standards for them to have to pay any attention, and certainly the idea that there are reasons NOT to use toxic agents they would like to use is hardly a positive endorsement of those agents that they like to hear.

Cardiac is just the tip of the iceberg. As an example, why is no effort made with EVERY procedure a patient has to then document the amount of radiation received, so that as a time goes by the patient and EVERY doctor they see is aware of the increasing total and can make a more accurate decision in balancing the need to use more radiation with consideration of other lab testing?

These issues do contribute to mortality, which then is not acknowledged as being cancer-treatment-caused in statistics.

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:18 AM   #3
Paris

Part of the problem is oncologists are not cardiologists. I went through the ringer trying to get my oncologist to pay attention to my symptoms. Part of it is the percentage of patients who go on to have heart issues is very small so oncologists are quick to dismiss patients symptoms as chemo related. I think if you are on any chemo that has been shown to have cardiotoxic effects you should be paired with a cardiologist who has experience in this area.
SNB Node Negative
Chemo Taxotere, Cytoxan 2/07-4/07
Herceptin Started 5/07
Exchange surgery 6/15/07
Herceptin stopped after 12 rounds due to herceptin induced cardiomyopathy
On heart meds 'til?
Age 40 at diagnosis
Cancer may have been a defining moment but it does not define me!
Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:03 AM   #4
Lani

in addition, it is a well-known fact that women with heart disease

have many fewer symptoms than men.

It is much more common for a woman to have a heart attack as her first symptom, or at least the first that brings her to the doctor, than it is for a man.

More women die of cardiac disease than breast cancer.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote