HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-26-2008, 08:19 PM   #1
Paris

So when do we get to breathe?

I am coming up on the second anniversary of my bc diagnosis. While I did not worry much the first year about recurrence I find myself thinking about it more. I'm doing my best to take care of myself and stay healthy but at what point do I not have to worry about cancer coming back? I was er/pr negative w/Her2 pos. From what I've read if this aggressive subtype is going to come back it comes back early then the risk drops off. But how many years is this- two, three? I start counting from when I finished herceptin which was January of this year. Is that correct or is it from diagnosis date?

Does anyone know what the latest research is on this?
SNB Node Negative
Chemo Taxotere, Cytoxan 2/07-4/07
Herceptin Started 5/07
Exchange surgery 6/15/07
Herceptin stopped after 12 rounds due to herceptin induced cardiomyopathy
On heart meds 'til?
Age 40 at diagnosis
Cancer may have been a defining moment but it does not define me!
Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:15 PM   #2
harrie

Paris....I am right there with you....coming up on my 2 yr anniversary. My dates are very close to yours....
We are both enjoying days right now of being healthy and have rebounded well from our txs. These days are too precious to go without gratitude.
Sometimes I worry too. Any ache or pain out of the ordinary raises some "orange-alerts"....
I really can't answer your question. I jsut wanted to let you know that I was on the same time frame you were.
....high-five sister!...

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:45 PM   #3
Jean

Happy cancerversary to you dear Harrie! I wish you
2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x2 well you get my point!

Paris, as far as any study recently there was a discussion on this...but I just do not remember
the post. I will do some searching and try to find it.
But remember any information is prior to the new data that just is not out yet....since early stagers are being treated with herceptin...we will be the ones in the next few years to offer that data. I am of the thinking that
those treated early with herceptin will (God willing)
offer some exciting new results.

Enjoy your 2nd year and look forward to many many more!

Blessing to both of you!
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:06 AM   #4
Jean

This may offer some info.

http://www.reuters.com/article/healt...me=ushealth200

Joan posted this link in August.
But remember this was collected data prior to early stagers receiving herceptin.
So, therefore we are expected even better stats.
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
9/06 Completed chemo

Last edited by Jean; 10-27-2008 at 12:18 AM..
Old 10-27-2008, 06:29 AM   #5
Paris

Thanks, Harrie and Jean. I guess I'm looking for that finish line where I can say I beat this thing and not have to worry about it anymore. I am doing my best to stay hopeful. I would assume that with herceptin and the a/i's that the study results would be more favorable if they had been able to be included in the study. It would appear that the more aggressive subtypes would come back earlier and I'm trying to remember if there were any threads on this. I'll have to try to look it up.
SNB Node Negative
Chemo Taxotere, Cytoxan 2/07-4/07
Herceptin Started 5/07
Exchange surgery 6/15/07
Herceptin stopped after 12 rounds due to herceptin induced cardiomyopathy
On heart meds 'til?
Age 40 at diagnosis
Cancer may have been a defining moment but it does not define me!
Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:08 AM   #6
Mary Anne in TX

For me, I've decided that Her2 BC is a lot like being a parent (well, a grandparent parent, that is)...you have to be on your toes every single day, but you can still eat chocolate and enjoy life. I worry about "parenting" a lot more than I worry about bc anymore. I know I have to stay diligent with both. But so many on this board have taught me to have some fun along the way! It's taken me a while, but I'm getting so much better. I have come to realize that I can't determine the outcome on either. My
granddaughter will turn out as she will...I'll just give it my very best! And I'm trying to do the same with my health. I have 2 more herceptin treatments scheduled along with bone, chest and abdomen scans. When Christmas rolls around, I'll be starting a new "life". No every 3 weeks treatment! Yes, I'm scared, really scared, but, I think I'm more scared of the change than of stopping treatments. I've always done change so well, and now I want my life to be really boringly the same!!! Sounds terrific to me. So many times I've heard others say that it just takes time and determination to get back to life. It will be 3 years since diagnosis on Dec. 27 and I guess I'm getting tired of letting bc steal from me.
Anyway, no more rambling....
Best wishes to you and keep on believin..... ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:10 AM   #7
flynny

Hi Paris,

I finished taxol/herceptin (9/8) and then met with my onc on 9/29 to discuss tamoxifen and I asked her the same question. She said that if I were to have a reoccurrence it would be between 3-5 yrs given my situation (see below). Jean is correct saying that there isn't enough "data" out there yet. We all just need to pray that the chemo did its job and that it's not coming back!! No matter what though it will always be in the back of our minds, I don't think that can change given what we have been through.

Jan '07 felt lump (PCP "thought" it was a cyst)
Nov '07 "bloody nipple discharge" (OB-GYN "thought" I had fibrocystic breasts and told me to take 400 IU's of Vitamin E)
Note: Mother was dx w/BC in 2004 (ER/PR+ & HER2+) & mets to brain April 2007 (she passed away June 17, 2008)
2/1/08: Biopsy Dx: DCIS (age 34)
2/22/08: Surgery R-side Mast
2/28/08: 1st Path Rpt Dx: IDC 1.8cm tumor & DCIS 2.1cm
2nd Path Rep DFCI - IDC (0.9cm) & DCIS (2.1cm)
Stage 1b/Gr 3; ER+(5%), PR+(2%), HER-2+++
5/5 nodes NEG; Clear Margins
Chemo: AC 4 rnds (1st one 3/31/08) finished 6/2/08
TH (Taxol/Hercepin) 12 weeks (1st one 6/25/08) finished 9/8/08
Herceptin 9 mos (every 3 weeks) finished 6/8/09
BRCA 1/2 NEG
Bio: Age 39, married to James 1999, 2 boys 12 & 10 yo
flynny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:43 AM   #8
nitewind

Hi Paris, You're asking the same question that I've been asking. I sure wish I had an answer. I celebrated two years last July (that's when I had my tumor removed). I finished my year of herceptin last December. Yes, I do worry, I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. I received my herceptin even though I was early stage and had no nodes involved. I guess, like someone else said, we will be the ones to watch and see what happens. Hopefully, all good!
I try not to worry so much, I hear people say "you're finished with the treatment, what are you worried about?" They just don't understand the her2+ and truthfully, I'm tired of trying to explain. I'm just praying for a great outcome for all of us.
Hugs
2 cm/ 0 nodes
Lumpectomy rt breast on 7/26/06
ER/PR- / Her2+++
A/C x 4
finished taxotere 2/07
finished 33 rads
Herceptin finished 12/07/07 Yippee!
nitewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:39 AM   #9
LAURIE

well I have had more than one blessing with this pregnancy. It has kept my mind off a recurrence. somewhat, of course my biggest fear is a recurrence while I am preggers. I go for my 3 month onc check up today, so of course I am a little anxious, but excited to show off my baby bump there to everyone.

Laurie
Diagonsed 8/10/06 (found own lump)at 35
Her 2 +++, er-/pr-
4 A/C 8-29-06 to 11-06
Lumpectomy, node dissection- 11/30/06
Pathology report stage IIIC
1 tumor 3 cm
10 of 15 nodes +
12 Taxol 12/18/06-03/06/07
Herceptin 12/18/06- 12/11/2007 done!!! yeah!!!
33 rads started 3/22/07, done!! yeah!! 5/07/07
Lymphedema diagonsed 2/1/07
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
port out 1/10/08
pregnant after 6 yeas of trying- due mid feb.
Ryder David Kessel Hunter born feb.6th 2009

LAURIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:53 AM   #10
caya

I'm also in the 2nd year club - I was diagnosed in Oct. 06, had my MRM Dec. 06 - happy about reaching the so called critical "2 year out" mark - but being ER+ and PR+ as well, I agree with Mary Anne in Tx- I figure I will always be on my toes!!
Hopefully with Herceptin we early stagers had, the long term survival rates will be off the charts. Good luck to us all - from Stage 1 to IV.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:54 AM   #11
cath52

I get to join this club also. Found my lump in Jan.06. Surgery, 4 treatments of a\c and then a year of hereceptin. Finished everything in July 07. Have had alot of wierd aches and pains and so far nothing to them. I've never found anything on survival rates because Hereceptin wasn't there for those like us before 06 so we are starting a new era. Like Caya said "good luck to us all"
Cath52
cath52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:07 PM   #12
leecaz

Paris,
Usually you start from date of diagnosis. I'm about 4 and 1/2 years out. I think the longer out the less you think of recurrrance thought it's always tucked away in your memory.
I was diagnosed in March of "04... had a partial mastectomy and axillary node dissection. March and April... prim tumor 2.2 cm, 3 DCIS, 4/18 nodes pos. had A/C and Taxol., dose dense and 37 rads.\Treatment finished Nov. of '04. The following May of "05,was the wonderful news of the effectiveness of herceptin. And the question of whether it would be given to those of us " earler stagers" ( 1 and 2 ) . There was a discussion with me, my onc. and an expert at Dana Farber in Boston as to whether I would benefit from 1 year of Herceptin. The decision was left to me. At the time the thought was if you were beyond 6 moths out of treatment , then there was a big question as to it's effectiveness. I choose to go for it and I finished up in May of '06. I'm very happy with my decision.
My feeling is once you've beeen diagnosed, there is always that lingering question as to if and when it will ever come back. Of course they say the longer out, the better your chances to beat this beast.... but only time will tell. I try not to dwell on it too much because I feel fine and look good at the grand age of 68.... just turned.
I've decided that when I hit the 5 year mark, I'm going to have a grand bash with music and all. I hope you do too.
Love and luck,
Carol
Old 10-27-2008, 10:23 PM   #13
SoCalGal

It's funny - I never worried following the end of my treatment. I just assumed I was cured and it was good that I lived that way for 6 1/2 years...I think you should breathe every day. Act as if. Keep your mind from messing with you! There is nothing to do about statistics because you have done all you could. If it was 99% that you were cured you would still worry about the 1% so try not to let your mind worry. Maybe look into some supplements for restoring your heart function? CoQ10? Balancing the Omega's - etc. Try not to worry and just live your life. Every day that you wake up you've crossed that finish line and won! Blessings...
Flori
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.

Last edited by SoCalGal; 10-27-2008 at 10:27 PM..
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:04 AM   #14
Jean

My dear sisters,
I look at it this way....our cancer was surgical removed, then we were treated with chemo/herceptin...

Next we do everything we can to eat the best foods
(yes some days we slip up) gosh, we are only human, we
take our supplements........

I find a strange situation that I will share...in the first year...we are still reeling from the entire event.
The second year we are looking over our shoulder and counting, not every second but here and there, as nitewind stated, "waiting for the other shoe to drop"...
then as you move further along this strange new journey the 3rd year...you may think or say "Well I have passed another mile stone - I am more than half way to the 5 yr. mark...still the thought will come to the front of your mind and you wonder....

My little bit of advise is when your mind brings up the worry just remind yourself you are in the "new data pool" and that data has more going for it than not.
Think of it this way...if the herceptin trials were proving get results with Stage 4...well consider what the new data should bring forth.

Then we have Laurie...who gives us all a huge smile
with the fantastic news of her new life coming our way!
It just doesn't get any better girls.

We are all blessed and doing fine....do a dance, jump for joy and I say to myself each day...get up, move be busy, "It is hard to catch a moving target"....ha ha
but besides the humor (and that is vital) each day we become stronger ...having been dx. with bc teaches us a beautiful lesson....embrace and enjoy everything, every moment.

Take those breaths my sisters!
Hugs,
jean
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
9/06 Completed chemo

Last edited by Jean; 10-28-2008 at 12:07 AM..