HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Articles of Interest
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-23-2006, 11:04 PM   #1
Lani

Redistribute (if not Lose) your extra weight!

Conjugated Linoleic Acid Supplements Change Body Fat Distribution

By Martha Kerr

LOS ANGELES (Reuters Health) May 23 - A study presented here at Digestive Disease Week 2006 shows that conjugated linoleic acid supplements induce a change in body fat distribution, with the greatest fat reductions occurring in the abdomen and legs. Meanwhile, body weight and body mass index are essentially unaffected.

Dr. Alexandra Einerhand of the Lipid Nutrition Center in Loders Croklaan, Wormerveer, The Netherlands, and colleagues in Norway explain in their meeting abstract that conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) isomers "are normal constituents of fats derived from ruminant animals and dairy products." Body stores of CLA "are low, in the range of 150-400 mg," the Dutch researcher noted.

The researchers randomized 105 overweight or obese adults (BMI, 28-32) to CLA 3.4 g/day or a placebo consisting of olive oil for 6 months.

Dr. Einerhand reported a significant 5.6% drop in body fat mass in participants given the CLA supplement compared with controls at the end of the 6-month study period.

Reductions in fat mass were already measurable at 3 months. In women, reductions occurred in both the abdomen and legs, while in men, reductions were only seen in the abdomen. CLA supplementation did not affect tissue composition in the arms.

Waist circumference dropped 3.1 cm, while waist-to-hip ratio fell 0.024. Body weight fell 1.5 kg and BMI dropped 0.6 kg/m2, although Dr. Einerhand said these changes were not statistically significant. Individuals with the highest BMIs at baseline showed the greatest response to CLA supplementation.

"These changes were independent of diet and exercise," she added.

Dr. Einerhand told Reuters Health that there appeared to be no toxicity with CLA supplementation and it did not affect any of a number of parameters the investigators measured. Insulin sensitivity, HDL and LDL cholesterol levels, inflammatory markers such as interleukin-6 and adipokines were all unchanged, she commented. "It may be that the changes are too modest to be seen at this time," Dr. Einerhand suggested.

She explained that CLA has two isomers that work on fat storage in different ways: by inhibiting the storage of fat in adipocytes and by stimulating fat oxidation. "Fat mass decreases and muscle mass increases," Dr. Einerhand said.

Related Links
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:20 AM   #2
R.B.

CLA is found in ruminant fats.

CLA is reported to reduce BC risk. I vaguely recall seeing that it intervenes in the ecosanoid pathways.

Trails report benifit tails off at about 1% of dietary fat intake.

CLA supplements are available but you have to watch you get the right isomers.

I am fairly sure I have posted some of the above to this site. I have just searched CLA and there are some posts. The Life Extension site has some material on CLA. I have some links I will try and dig out.

It is another argument in favour of ruminant fats instead of margerine in very samlll amounts in that the level of omega six is very low, and it has other benifits. 1% is a very small amount.

Please check out for yourselves as my memory is hazy and I have not gone back to the trials.

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:21 AM   #3
R.B.

CLA is found in ruminant fats.

CLA is reported to reduce BC risk. I vaguely recall seeing that it intervenes in the ecosanoid pathways.

Trails report benifit tails off at about 1% of dietary fat intake.

CLA supplements are available but you have to watch you get the right isomers.

I am fairly sure I have posted some of the above to this site. I have just searched CLA and there are some posts. The Life Extension site has some material on CLA. I have some links I will try and dig out.

It is another argument in favour of ruminant fats instead of margerine in very samlll amounts in that the level of omega six is very low, and it has other benifits. 1% is a very small amount.

Please check out for yourselves as my memory is hazy and I have not gone back to the trials.

It is used by body builders to help mass and reduce fat.

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 12:11 PM   #4
Becky

I also believe this is why the milk (really dairy) industry is advertising that to lose weight more quickly and effectively, 3 servings of dairy help.

Diana Dwyer's Breast cancer diet advocates one serving of dairy that contains some fat (like one cup of 1% milk in your cereal in the morning - so you get the CLA you need on a daily basis).

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote