HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-04-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
Bill

Smile Sorry, Joe

Just wanted to give you a heads up that I may have started a religious war in the "keeping your mind off BBC" room. I'm sorry, but it just sorta happened. In my own defense, you never said anything about not discussing religion, only politics, so I took my chances.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
Joe
Webmaster

Bill,
I answered you at the end of that thread.

I have an older brother who spent 20 years in the Navy and had two tours in Viet Nam. He retired and is now a Catholic priest and is married.

His church allows it.

PS: Don't blow your fingers off with fireworks today.

Regards
Joe

There are two classes in America, those who work for a living and those who vote for a living.

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
Bill

Joe, I bet your brother is one of the greatest guys you could ever want to meet. Evidently, you guys come from good stock. Thank you and next time you talk to him, tell him I said thanks for what he's done for all of us.
Don't worry, I won't blow my fingers off today. They make stuff so safe today that they're no fun to light off. "oh wow, look at those sparks". I bought a bunch, anyhow. Happy Fourth of July!
Old 07-04-2009, 06:23 PM   #4
Joe
Webmaster

Twenty years ago, when my daughter was 5, she became aware of fireworks and asked me if we had any.

I was living in NJ where even sparklers were outlawed, BUT I was into black powder firearms and had about 6 pounds of the stuff on hand.

I discovered some old hollow plastic Alphabet Blocks in the basement, we punched a hole in them, filled them with black powder, added about 12" of cherrybomb fuse (available at Dixie Gunworks" and sealed them with silicon rubber cement.

We had a ball....Of course if we were to do that today I'd be arrested on possessing terrorist paraphenalia.

How life has changed.

Regards
Joe
Quote of the day: "I have warned that one day Michael Jackson would wake up dead."

The Jackson family lawyer, Brian Oxman, said he warned the pop star about his misuse of prescription drugs.

Sent by blackberry from the wonderful land of Oz.

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:56 PM   #5
AbbyDawg

Joe ~

I knew you were a brother! Many other lifetimes ago in the 1970s, a friend and I were very big into black powder guns. I haven't heard anyone mention Dixie Gunworks in YEARS!

From the day he found out I could shoot ... or at least hit the target ... we were fast friends. That first day he kept bringing out different guns to see if I could really hit targets with all of them. Then for some reason, he thought it was MY fault that he had to stay up half the night and clean 14 guns.

My all-time favorite was the .69 Charleyville. Watch out or you'll hit yer own head on the kick!

Our favorite 4th of July celebration event (or any other day we felt like it) was to "fire the anvil"!!! We could blow that thing 15 feet in the air. Did you ever try it?

Well, thanks for the Dixie Gunworks memories!

Annie Oakley
AbbyDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:44 PM   #6
Rich66

Don't underestimate the entertainment potential of "snakes". If you squint, it's like the sidewalk is having a bowel movement. Cue the anthem.
Actually, the best 4th story I heard of came from some friends that while seeking a good vantage point to view the fireworks from a woodsy area, wound up on the receiving end.
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote