HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-28-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
Chelee

Any other Power Port patients here?

I have that newer Bard Power Port that "they" talked me into. I have no veins left so as you all know the Power Port can handle the contrast in PET/CT's, MRI's, etc. But I'm wondering how many of you have had on-going problems with blood return when your port is first accessed each time? They always get it to work...but it's been a pain.

Also I am am frustrated with the fact I can't get anyone to use it when I ask them to. All I get is excuses as to why they can't or won't use it. This port is "hugh" compared to my first one & it's not right that not one person will use the darned thing other then my chemo nurse. I wished I'd stuck to my guns and insisted on the same small one I had the first time since no one will use this port. Am I the only one having these two problems with this Bard Power Port?

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:55 PM   #2
CourtneyL

Re: Any other Power Port patients here?

Hi Chelee - Funny you should ask about this - after resisting for nearly two years, I finally bit the bullet and had a power port put in today. I'm currently sitting at home reading all about my "Smart Port CT". I am hoping I don't have the problems you describe but I will definitely let you know if I experience them. After nearly 2 years of non-stop IVs for diagnostics, treatment, blood draws, my veins have had enough. I'm actually really excited to have the port. I am so sick and tired of getting my veins poked and prodded repeatedly and walking around with huge bruises on my arms. Enough is enough. I hope they actually use the port because I can't take any more needles. I hope they will start using your port too!

Jan 09-April 09: Brain mets. Add Tykerb. Watch and wait.
April 09: Gamma Knife 10 brain mets, add Xeloda.
Sept 09: Gamma Knife to 1 brain met.
Nov 09- April 10: Lung progression, add Gemzar to Herceptin, Zometa.
May 10- Sept 10: HER2 Vaccine Trial

Sept 10: Add Tykerb for more brain mets.
Oct 10: Gamma Knife to 7 brain mets.
Dec 10: Switch from Zometa to Denosumab.
Jan 11: Gamma Knife to 3 brain mets.
March 11: Gemzar/Herceptin for lung/bone progression.
April 11: More brain mets - Intrathecal Herceptin
June 11: Ixempra/Herceptin for lung, soft tissue progression.
Aug 11: Gamma Knife
Sep 11: Abraxane/Herceptin
Future: NED

Send me a PM if you'd like to follow my journey on Caringbridge.
CourtneyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:27 AM   #3
Darlene Denise

Chelee and Courtney: I had my dual lumen Power Port put in last Monday. Had it acessed on that Wednesday for a bone and CT scan. All went well. Like you Miss Courntey, I put it off too. When I went for my last Muga a few weeks ago, it was cancelled because of no vein access. I knew that day was coming, just trying to avoid it! I told my vascular surgeon he better use his best plastic surgery skills and make my port the envy of the chemo room. My last port stood out like I had an MP3 player under my skin. This one looks gooood! Put it in the same place but you can't see it, gotta feel for it! Very happy with its appearance.

Chelee, some facilities don't have trained IV folks available in the nuclear med and scan areas. My suggestion is to call around where you can get scans and see if they are routinely acessing power ports. Whenever you set up your scan be sure to tell them you have a power port. We still have hit and miss access at different facilities, but I found the place and that's where I will be going from now on.

Oh, and I asked for my own power port access kit to carry in my purse just in case they claim they don't have what they need for the scan. I've been told they know how to use it, but the department dosen't stock them yet. Yeah!

One downside, my husband says it's my early Valentine gift. Damn those co-pays!!!

May the Power Port Force be with us...does this make us Power Rangers?

Darlene
05/12/08 HERCEPTIN EVERY 3 WKS
08/22/08 BRAIN METS! 8 <5MM
09/17/08 CYBERKNIFED BRAIN METS
10/20/08 BRAIN METS SHRINKING
12/29/08 BRAIN SCAN SHOWS 1 LESION GONE, 7 SHRINKING & STABLE, 1MM ? SPOT
01/16/09 LIVER REOCUR-XELODA/HERCEPTIN
03/02/09 BRAIN SCAN 2 LESIONS GONE, 5 STABLE, 1MM ? SPOT STILL A ?
3/27/09 REGRESSION OF 2 LIVER LESIONS XELODA & HERCEPTIN
06/08/09 STUPID BRAIN HAS 3 LESIONS
06/29/09 CYBERKNIFE
07/01/09 LIVER REGRESSION NO NEW METS
07/07/09 TYKERB XELODA HERCEPTIN
11/11/09 GEMZAR/HERCEPTIN FOR LIVER PROGRESSION
03/22/10 BRAIN MRI GOOD-3 SMALL NECROSIS LEFT FROM ORIG 11!!
03/26/10 CHANGE TO NAVELBINE/HERCEPTIN 3 LIVER LESIONS PROGRESSING IN SIZE
05/21/10 NAVELBINE/HERCEPTIN WORKING!
07/19/10 GOOD BRAIN MRI
08/20/10 LIVER PROGRESSION
09/08/10 TDM1 - NASHVILLE TN
01/10/11 LIVER RESPONDING TO TDM1
Darlene Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:17 PM   #4
Chelee

Courtney, Since I posted this question, I'd done some digging and what I found is what Darlene is saying. There just aren't enough people trained to use these ports. In fact one page on the Bard Power Port said they do an "inservice" to teach techs, nurses how to use these ports. But obviously not all facilities are getting this inservice training.

I was up at City of Hope and even had problems getting people to access my port at that hospital...I was shocked. I had to fight all the way to get them to go find someone that knew how to access my port. Even the anesthesiologist I had for my femur surgery refused to use it regardless of how insistent I was. I told him I had NO veins left & I expected my Power Port to be accessed! He told me once I was knocked out for the surgery he would find a vein with no problem. I explained that was not the point...I had this port put in for a reason and it WILL be used. (When I was in recovery...found out he used my hand anyway.) ARGH!

Darlene is right...from now on what I plan to do is call "ahead" of time and let them know I have a Power Port and I do expect it to be used. This way someone trained in the use of the power port will know I'm coming. This might end this on-going problem I keep having. Courtney, to be on the safe side until you know for sure...I would take Darlenes advice and call ahead of time. It will save you major headaches and needle sticks.

Darlene...thanks for the idea. I had to laugh at your "MP3" comment. HA! Thats almost how I feel about the one I have now...it's so big compared to the first one I had. You can see mine a mile away. Glad you had a great surgeon to place yours. Good luck to you both from one power ranger to another. lol

Chelee
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
Sheila

Chelee
My brother teaches the inservice to nurses etc...he works with the Bard power Ports all the time...his main base is Kaiser Permanente Hosp. He brought one home for them to put in me a couple years ago (they didn't have them here yet), but my veins were too small...so I have a regular Bard Port.....

Make sure whoever is accessing it is trained!!!

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:01 PM   #6
Rich66

FYI, make sure you're not getting the recalled needles:http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/01/26...all/index.html

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:23 PM   #7
ElaineM

Wink Re: Any other Power Port patients here?

I don't have a power port. I have an old fashioned one. However, if I want to use my port for a test outside of my doctor's office my doctor has to write "orders" and send them to the hospital department where I am going to have the test. Technicians who work at that hopspital aren't certified to access ports-------only veins. Only
I. V. nurses can do it, so special arrangements have to be made to get an I. V. nurse for me.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:31 AM   #8
jgneco

My power port was put in two weeks ago. I was frustrated because my weekly blood test was drawn from my arm, not my power port. I insisted to use the port to draw my blood last week. What a mistake! It was so painful that I will never do it again. The nurse pull and use a large needle which me fell like I was knife on the chest. The nurse got the blood after pulling and pulling the needle.
When the port was used for Chemo, it was great. It eliminated 2.5 hours of Chemo. the Chemo was only 4.5 hours.

Last edited by jgneco; 02-01-2010 at 05:32 AM.. Reason: spelling error
jgneco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:20 PM   #9
Chelee

There are a few take away messages from this entire thread. First one is to make sure as Shelia said the person accessing your port is "trained!" It makes a big difference! And just because they say they are trained to use them...I find it's not always the case. Some seem like it's their first time when they access my port...it's scary and can be painful. Plus I had one nurse in the hosptial get all set-up to access my port with NO gloves...nothing. Obviously she wasn't taught how important it was to be sterile...I told her she wasn't touching me.

Second thing I now plan on doing is to call ahead of time and let them know I have a power port and to please have someone that's well qualified to access it when I get there. Also as Elaine mentioned I will have my onc write it on the orders...that way I have double coverage. For those that just got your new Power Ports I highly suggest you do this prior to going for any of your scans and even surgeries.

Chelee
Old 02-02-2010, 12:26 PM   #10
schoolteacher

Chelee,

You suggestion is great. I never thought about calling ahead or having the doctor write prior to procedure for them to have a trained person there.

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:38 PM   #11
v-ness

i wouldn't want anyone but the chemo people accessing my port. every time i went for bloodwork in the past 4 months (which was pretty much weekly), i had the blood girl use my arm. for one thing, it hurts less, and for another it is farther away from my face. i've donated blood for years, so i am not needle wuss, but i just haven't gotten used to that bigass needle so close to my face. the other day even the chemo nurse couldn't get it in right and put THREE holes in me before calling another nurse to get it right. i was awful holey. valerie
2/10 began 7 wks of radiation
6/10 mom dies of primary peritoneal ovarian cancer
8/10 got my last remaining ovary out
10/10 mammogram all clear
3/11 MRI shows 5 'spots' in right breast, largest 1 cm unidentifiable on US
needle biopsy proved the largest to be old inflamed cyst -phew!
7/10 switched to Arimidex
8/9 switched to Femara - allergic to arimidex
Femara made me lose hair quickly so switched to Aromasin
Aromasin made my hair fall out too and the bone pain was too much.
back on Tamoxifen 1/2013.
blood clot from trains and planes 5/2014 so on coumadin per onco for as long as i am on tamoxifen
tamoxifen was supposed to be up with my 5 yrs in may but my boyfriend was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer so i am staying on tamoxifen indefinitely because i want some ammo against BC, given the stress. lost my husband in only 10 wks in 2007 to stage 4 esophageal cancer.
cancer's screwing with another man i love
2/2016 - 6yrs in remission, off tamoxifen and off coumadin - yay!
v-ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #12
curryalso

My surgeon told me not to let anyone access my port unless they were trained. For a scan she said to get a chemo nurse to access the port for the scan.
Infections and clogs can be caused by not accessing the port properly.
curryalso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:31 PM   #13
Chelee

curryalso, That is a very good point and one should be taken very seriously. One thing I've learned is just because they say they know how to use your port doesn't make it true! All any of us need is a good infection or a port that is damaged because the person did not know how to properly use it and flush it correctly.

I know a while ago after having my "Power Port' installed I went for a PET/CT. I told the tech I wanted my port accessed for the contrast. Same old thing...excuses as to why he can't do it. Then he went so far as to actually just tell me he "won't" get as good a picture on the PET/CT if he uses my power port. That using my arm gives them a much better image of what's going on. (Give me a break...that was the worse excuse I've heard so far.)

I then told him to call upstairs where my chemo room is and ask for my chemo nurse to come down...or anyone of the nurse up there! He then tells me they are NOT allowed to come down there for any reason. He ended up using my ARM...but later when I saw my chemo nurse I told her what happened...and she said she will gladly come down any time to access my port. I told her he said they weren't allowed too come down there. She said that is not true, and it would be no problem at all.

So see...it's really no more then these people are NOT trained in how to use them so they make up a bunch of stories as to why they don't want to access it. (I'd feel better if they just gave me the truth and tell me they don't know how!) If need be I will start calling my "Portacath Lab" ahead of time and ask for the manager. I'll have her make sure the person that shows up at my scans is highly trained.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:11 PM   #14
Unregistered

Hi. I had a power port and got an infection from a infusion center. It was called the Iraqibacter. If you look it up it will give you the medical name. Not something you want to get in your port. I was very very sick for about 10 days. Now I am infection free and got a new port put in yesterday. It is way to high - up by my collar bone. I'm not happy about that since my last one was really low and didn't show. This one is sore too so I'm not to sure about the placement. But ports are cool - I'm glad to have one.
Becky
Old 07-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #15
fauxgypsy

I have had a Power Port for about 3 years now. It has worked well. You are right about knowing how to access it, though. I had it accessed at the local hospital once. I don't know what they did wrong but they hurt me so bad I screamed. the only thing it is being used for now is to take bllod occasionally. I hope that contineus.
ER+/PR+, her2 +++, nuclear grade 3 of 3
February 20-PET scan showed something on liver. No biopsy.
March- Started carboplatin, herceptin, taxol on a four week cycle
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
June 21- new onc, very concerned that there had been no biopsy,
June 18th-CAT scan, bone scan-negative
August 7th - Brain MRI-negative
August 9th- mastectomy, all pathology negative
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
July 2008-Finished Herceptin!
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:42 PM   #16
Rich66

Is everyone with a port getting it flushed regularly? My mom hasn't been getting infusional chemo for some months and changed oncs since it was put in. Hasn't been accessed since late October!

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:24 PM   #17
Chelee

Rich, Your Mother really should get it flushed on a semi regular schedule to keep it working. When I was NED for 3.5 yrs...I went in monthly to have it flushed. In case she needs it again I'd have them flush it and see if it's still working? I'm surprised they didn't tell her this.

Chelee
Old 07-15-2010, 08:38 PM   #18
Chelee

fauxgypsy,
You really do want to make sure the person accessing your port really has the training they need. It sounds like the person at your hospital used a bigger needle or something? It sure shouldn't of hurt that bad. (I hope you gave that person a good smack.) I know my chemo nurse has warned me to be very careful about who accesses my port. I just had a PET/CT about 2 wks ago and this time I called ahead of my scan and told them I was coming in and wanted someone that was highly trained to access my Power Port properly. It worked out great...this time things went smoothly. (I don't know how were suppose to know which nurses REALLY know what their doing...and those that don't?)

Chelee
Old 08-18-2010, 09:57 AM   #19
Emelie B

I am shocked at how big this thing is! It sticks out of all my clothing and I am burusied all around it from the surgery. I called ahead to make sure they had someone on staff for my PET next week and they said sure, your appt. is at 11:30 a.m. Are you kidding me? I would probably chew my arm off by the time I left if I didn't get to eat until 1:00 or so. I opted for use of my arm and a 7:30 appt. Jeez, there is nothing easy about this whole deal.
At least I am not alone with an MP3 player sticking out of my shirt!
March 2007-MRM with 8 of 14 lymph node involvement
May 2007-36 Rads
Sept. 2007- Stopped Herceptin
Jan. 2010- CT scan shows enlarged lymph nodes in sternum and lung involvement
Feb. 2010-PET scan shows mets to liver, lung, lymph nodes and bone
Feb. 2010- Started Herceptin/Taxol and Zometa
April 2010-PET scan clear. Herceptin and Zometa
June 2010- Stopped Herceptin continue Zometa and still NED
August 2010-Back on Herceptin and Zometa every 3 weeks
August 13, 2010- Had another port placed
August 24, 2010- PET scan clear. Herceptin and Zometa every three weeks
Nov. 2010-PET scan clear
Feb. 2011-Brain MRI clear
March 2011- PET scan clear
May 2011- PET scan clear
Sept. 2011- PET, Mammo, Bone Scan all clear- Herceptin only
March 2012-Recurrence in lungs and tumor around pota hepatis artery. Added Navelbine to herceptin
April 2012- Entered palliative care
June 5, 2012-Entered hospice care
Planning my memorial
Emelie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:20 AM   #20
das

Gee, I am going to get my port installed today - should I get a different one? The doctor said a power port...Thanks
0/2 nodes
2.7cm
das is offline   Reply With Quote