HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Diet and Nutrition
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Diet and Nutrition By popular demand our nutritional message board. This board will be monitored by a Registered RD who is certified in oncology by the American Dietetic Association

Old 04-26-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
Hopeful

A meta-analysis of diet, physical activity and bc risk: An evolutionary perspective

http://www.abstractsonline.com/Plan/...D14ED39622C%7d

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
sdstarfish

Re: A meta-analysis of diet, physical activity and bc risk: An evolutionary perspecti

Hi, Hopeful:
I can see you've been doing your homework by reading scientific abstracts. I commend you for empowering yourself with knowledge

My only word of caution to you would be this: sometimes it's hard to get the whole picture without reading the whole study. For instance, in this article, the abstract does not mention which types of fats were used. Certain fats are actually necessary and good for the body, while others are detrimental to health.

Another point is that the full article would contain a discussion, in which the researcher(s) assessed the shortcomings of their experiment - for example, maybe their group was too small, had too much in common, or maybe the experiment just wasn't conducted as well as it could have been for other reasons. This is valuable info that is rarely, if ever, in the abstract.

University libraries have scientific journals, and you can access them for free so that you can see the full articles. Also, you can sometimes access full articles for free via Google Scholar.

All the best,

Lisa
http://www.pinkkitchen.info
sdstarfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:20 PM   #3
Jackie07

Re: A meta-analysis of diet, physical activity and bc risk: An evolutionary perspecti

While attemping to (and 'failed' find the full-text article of the abstract posted by Hopeful, I found this 2005 article and thought the information is interesting:

http://www.ajcn.org/content/81/2/341.full

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:39 PM   #4
sdstarfish

Jackie, This is a great article. Thanks!
Lisa
http://www.pinkkitchen.info
sdstarfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:15 AM   #5
Jackie07

Found a 'comment' on the same subject [No wonder my oncologist acted very concerned a year ago when he learned about my 'inactivity']:

Physical Activity, Weight, Diet, and Breast Cancer Risk Reduction
Comment on "Physical Activity and Risk of Breast Cancer Among Postmenopausal Women"
Anne McTiernan, MD, PhD
Arch Intern Med. 2010;170(20):1792-1793. doi:10.1001/archinternmed.2010.416

Since this article does not have an abstract, we have provided the first 150 words of the full text and any section headings.

Since a seminal prospective cohort study showing reduced breast cancer risk in physically active women1 13 years ago and my commentary2 calling for a broader research agenda in this area, more than 5 dozen studies have reported on the association of physical activity with breast cancer risk. The prospective cohort studies in postmenopausal women have shown a modest (approximately 10%-20%) but statistically significant association of reduced risk of breast cancer in women who engage in the equivalent of 3 h/wk of moderate-level physical activity or greater, ie, who meet or exceed the current recommendations for US adults.3 The associations have been confirmed consistently enough that the US Department of Health and Human Services Physical Activity Guidelines Advisory Committee concluded in 2008 that strong evidence demonstrates that, compared with less active persons, more active women have lower rates of breast cancer.3

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
CN 3 GKRS 52301
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Old 05-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #6
Hopeful

Lisa,

The abstract was of a "meta analysis," which is not a single study, but a comprehensive review of many studies, wherein the results are reviewed together in order to arrive at a result. The authors stated:

"Published literature evaluating relationships between breast cancer risk and dietary fat, and exercise was systematically reviewed up to May of 2010. Descriptive data, estimates of relative risk and 95% confidence interval (CI) were extracted from relative studies, sorted according to inclusion criteria and analyzed using the random effects model of DerSimonian and Laird."

I will confess that I am not a statistics expert, and not at all familiar with the random effects model of DerSimonian and Laird, referenced in the abstract. My point being that this is not the same as a single study, so there will not be a single method or a single experiment, as your post posits. This is a distillation of many papers written on many different studies and experiments, all very different from each other. As such, the methodology has its own inherent shortcomings.

In general, I enjoy reading through the abstracts and posters that are presented at medical conferences, and posting those that I think may have interest or relevance to the audience that reads this message board. I don't necessarily agree with everything that is contained in the abstracts and articles I post, but I try to make sure that we all get the same information that our medical professionals are getting, to be able to ask them questions about our health and the care that we get, and to be our own advocates. I very much appreciate the fact that you took the time to read what I posted and comment on it.

Jackie, thank you for adding your research to the thread. Not all of the abstracts that are presented at these conferences turn into research papers, which is why you were not able to locate one. I do appreciate that you took the time to look for one.

Regards,

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:20 PM   #7
Jackie07

Thanks for the clarification, I think both Lisa and I were just very interested in the subject that you had presented and wanted to have more information.

Incidentally, I re-read the full-text article I posted and found there were more recent studies (those which had cited the 2005 article) listed at the end of the link. And some of them are full-text!

The summary of the 2005 article http://www.ajcn.org/content/81/2/341.full states:

"a. Higher levels of exercise could decrease breast cancer risk
b. Higher consumption of dietary fat may increase breast cancer risk
c. Reproductive status may influence breast cancer risk in women

These results have important implications for future breast cancer research. Interactions between modern cultural factors and ancestral biology may be expressed as higher rates of breast cancers in modern, industrialized nations. Clinical studies do not cumulatively examine population variations in socio-economic, cultural and biological risk factors and breast cancer occurrence. Applying an anthropological and biocultural perspective to future research could identify evolutionary roots to causes and risk factors of female reproductive diseases."

There were also articles about the Omega 3 and Omega 6 ratio (R.B. has been educating us on the subject) and the PH value that Elaine and others have been discussing.

I do want to point out a quick observation: The life expectancy has been steadily improving since the turn of the (20th) Century. People like me used not to live very long after a premature birth, would probably die young of childhood diseases, would definitely die from a huge brain tumor by 35 or 40 (after long torturing of the explosive headaches... The 'female reproductive diseases' would not have had a chance to appear... (one less breast cancer case.)

Really ought to bake another spice (fruit) cake for my oncologist who's been bugging me about getting in more exercise...

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
CN 3 GKRS 52301
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
DEXA 1/13

Last edited by Jackie07; 05-03-2011 at 03:40 PM..