HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Diet and Nutrition
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Diet and Nutrition By popular demand our nutritional message board. This board will be monitored by a Registered RD who is certified in oncology by the American Dietetic Association

Old 10-31-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
imdavidson

Bone Loss and Alkaline Diet

I'm reading a book right now about keeping the body in alkaline-acid balance to prevent osteoporosis. The author believes that when we eat acidic foods such as animal proteins and processed foods, our bodies neutralize or alkalize the acidic effects by taking calcium from our bones.

So to promote strong bones, she advises a diet that is 80 percent alkaline and 20 percent acidic.

Has anyone here had success improving their bone density through this type of diet, versus through taking bisphosphonates? If the RD on this board has an opinion, would appreciate hearing that as well.

Thanks so much!
Co-author (with Dr. Dan Silverman at UCLA) of "Your Brain After Chemo: A Practical Guide to Lifting the Fog and Getting Back Your Focus" (Da Capo Lifelong Books, 2009). Amazon. www.YourBrainAfterChemo.com.

ER/PR negative/HER-2 positive
imdavidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
karen z

Re: Bone Loss and Alkaline Diet

Interesting Idelle- thanks for posting.
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:07 PM   #3
R.B.

HI IMDavidson

Just some quick thoughts.

Clearly refined foods are not going to help because they are nutrient, including mineral, depleted, and replacing them with plant based material is going to increase nutrient and mineral intake.

I have see suggestions that several factors affect bone density, including the Omega 3:6 balance, mineral intake, vitamin D, muscle mass etc.

This paper suggests there is little difference in bone density between Innuit and Caucasians. I have only seen the abstract, but the general position is that Innuit have a relatively high acid food intake.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16311425

J Clin Densitom. 2005 Winter;8(4):409-14.
Ethnic differences in bone mineral density between inuit and Caucasians in north Greenland are caused by differences in body size.

Andersen S, Boeskov E, Laurberg P.

Vegetarians who by definition do not eat much meat may have lower bone densities.

http://www.news-medical.net/news/200...e-density.aspx

I am not suggesting these are authoritative, or that there is not conflicting evidence as to the acid alkali diet question, just that they pose questions, and suggest that the issue is more complex.
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:03 PM   #4
imdavidson

R. B., these are both very, very interesting studies, thank you so much for sharing them with me.
Co-author (with Dr. Dan Silverman at UCLA) of "Your Brain After Chemo: A Practical Guide to Lifting the Fog and Getting Back Your Focus" (Da Capo Lifelong Books, 2009). Amazon. www.YourBrainAfterChemo.com.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:47 PM   #5
Jackie07

Karen Wheel was big on the Alkaline and acid balance in relation to cancer treatment. She has read a lot of books on the subject.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:51 PM   #6
imdavidson

Thanks, Jackie, I'll send Karen Wheel a message about this as I would love to get her take.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:23 AM   #7
Jackie07

Found the abstract of a paper on the subject:

Proc Nutr Soc. 2010 Feb;69(1):166-73. Epub 2009 Dec 3.
Postgraduate Symposium: Positive influence of nutritional alkalinity on bone health.

Wynn E, Krieg MA, Lanham-New SA, Burckhardt P.
University Hospital (CHUV), 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland. emma.wynn@rdls.nestle.com
Abstract

There is growing evidence that consumption of a Western diet is a risk factor for osteoporosis through excess acid supply, while fruits and vegetables balance the excess acidity, mostly by providing K-rich bicarbonate-rich foods. Western diets consumed by adults generate approximately 50-100 mEq acid/d; therefore, healthy adults consuming such a diet are at risk of chronic low-grade metabolic acidosis, which worsens with age as a result of declining kidney function. Bone buffers the excess acid by delivering cations and it is considered that with time an overstimulation of this process will lead to the dissolution of the bone mineral content and hence to reduced bone mass. Intakes of K, Mg and fruit and vegetables have been associated with a higher alkaline status and a subsequent beneficial effect on bone health. In healthy male volunteers an acid-forming diet increases urinary Ca excretion by 74% and urinary C-terminal telopeptide of type I collagen (C-telopeptide) excretion by 19% when compared with an alkali (base-forming) diet. Cross-sectional studies have shown that there is a correlation between the nutritional acid load and bone health measured by bone ultrasound or dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry. Few studies have been undertaken in very elderly women (>75 years), whose osteoporosis risk is very pertinent. The EVAluation of Nutrients Intakes and Bone Ultra Sound Study has developed and validated (n 51) an FFQ for use in a very elderly Swiss population (mean age 80.4 (sd 2.99) years), which has shown intakes of key nutrients (energy, fat, carbohydrate, Ca, Mg, vitamin C, D and E) to be low in 401 subjects. A subsequent study to assess net endogenous acid production (NEAP) and bone ultrasound results in 256 women aged > or = 75 years has shown that lower NEAP (P=0.023) and higher K intake (P=0.033) are correlated with higher bone ultrasound results. High acid load may be an important additional risk factor that may be particularly relevant in very elderly patients with an already-high fracture risk. The latter study adds to knowledge by confirming a positive link between dietary alkalinity and bone health indices in the very elderly. In a further study to complement these findings it has also been shown in a group of thirty young women that in Ca sufficiency an acid Ca-rich water has no effect on bone resorption, while an alkaline bicarbonate-rich water leads to a decrease in both serum parathyroid hormone and serum C-telopeptide. Further investigations need to be undertaken to study whether these positive effects on bone loss are maintained over long-term treatment. Mineral-water consumption could be an easy and inexpensive way of helping to prevent osteoporosis and could be of major interest for long-term prevention of bone loss.

PMID: 19954569 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
CN 3 GKRS 52301
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Last edited by Jackie07; 11-02-2010 at 03:31 AM..
Old 11-02-2010, 05:28 AM   #8
Jackie07

Just received this notice:

Teleconference on Bone Health

Register now for our free teleconference, Bone Health: What You Need to Know, on Monday, November 8, from 12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST). Learn more.
Our speaker, Julie R. Gralow, MD, from the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, will help you understand:
  • Why some breast cancer treatments impact the health and strength of your bones
  • How to monitor your bone health and what therapies are available to you
  • Medical treatments and lifestyle changes that help you keep your bones strong
You may also be interested in our Guide to Understanding Bone Health.
Discover and Connect at our Annual Fall Conference

Register now for our annual fall conference, News You Can Use: Breast Cancer Updates for Living Well, on Saturday, November 13, 2010 from 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. Learn more.
During conference workshops, you'll learn about treatment options, medical updates and survivorship. Specific topics include cooking healthy meals, fear of recurrence, triple-negative breast cancer, yoga, metastatic breast cancer, sex and intimacy, breast reconstruction, the need for diversity in clinical trials, beauty and a special session just for caregivers. View a complete list of workshops.
You’ll also have opportunities to visit with exhibitors, ask questions of healthcare providers with expertise in breast cancer and connect with women and families affected by breast cancer.
Not sure if this conference is right for you? Read Julie Vosburg’s entry in our blog about her experience at last year’s conference.
Don’t miss out on this great educational event. Register today!

Ask the Expert about Nutrition

Our ask-the-expert series helps answer your questions about breast cancer, whether you are newly diagnosed, in treatment or years beyond treatment. The topic for the month of November is nutrition. Learn more.
If you are undergoing breast cancer treatment, nutrition may not be the first thing on your mind. But following a smart diet strategy may reduce your risk of recurrence—and make you feel better. A balanced diet can also help maintain strength, improve immune function and promote healing.
If you have questions about how nutrition can help you improve your overall health and quality of life, ask Living Beyond Breast Cancer expert Kathryn A. Allen, MA, RD. We will begin posting Ms. Allen’s answers to select questions on an ongoing basis throughout the month.
View previous ask-the-expert topics.

New Website for the Annual Conference for Young Women Affected by Breast Cancer (C4YW)

The Annual Conference for Young Women Affected by Breast Cancer has a new look! As we embark on the next decade of helping young women, their caregivers and medical professionals get the support they need, the re-brand of the conference allows us to take it to the next level.
C4YWshort for Conference for Young Womencreates a voice for young women affected by breast cancer. The new name will increase our visibility within social media and help us to reach more young women. Learn more.

Upcoming Programs and Events

11/30 Follow-up Testing: Monitoring Health ( Cherry Hill , NJ )
Ongoing LBBC Survivors’ Helpline
Ongoing Complete Events Listing on lbbc.org
Warmly,
Jean
Jean A. Sachs, MSS, MLSP
LBBC Chief Executive Officer
Toll-free Survivors’ Helpline: (888) 753-LBBC (5222)
354 West Lancaster Ave, Suite 224
Haverford , PA 19041
(610) 645-4567

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
CN 3 GKRS 52301
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
DEXA 1/13

Old 11-02-2010, 06:39 AM   #9
TanyaRD

Bone health is critical after a breast cancer diagnosis. I find the hypothesis of low pH/alkaline diet and bone health to be very interesting. Generally speaking, I have not been impressed by the alkaline diet results in the realm of cancer, especially when promoted and used as sole treatment. The current evidence on the use of alkaline diet in oncology is not convincing and I didn't find much on bone health. I did find 2 opposing articles on PubMed which I thought were interesting. I don't believe the alkaline diet would bring any harm when used for bone health but I would caution that it may eliminate some of the healthy foods we know to have benefit. However, it would also eliminate others that are not beneficial. It is important to note that it is urine pH that is being tested, not blood pH. It is very difficult to change to body's actual pH (blood).

The key elements for bone health that are proven and should be applied no matter which diet you choose to follow are:
1. Maintain a healthy weight
2. Include calcium rich food sources in diet-most women also need a calcium supplement with Vit D 3
3. Have Vitamin D level checked and supplement accordingly
4. Weight bearing exercises-walking is great

Low urine pH and acid excretion do not predict bone fractures or the loss of bone mineral density: a prospective cohort study.
Fenton TR, Eliasziw M, Tough SC, Lyon AW, Brown JP, Hanley DA.
BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2010 May 10;11:88.PMID: 20459740 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Postgraduate Symposium: Positive influence of nutritional alkalinity on bone health.
Wynn E, Krieg MA, Lanham-New SA, Burckhardt P.
Proc Nutr Soc. 2010 Feb;69(1):166-73. Epub 2009 Dec 3.PMID: 19954569 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
TanyaRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:30 AM   #10
Jackie07

http://www.congrex.ch/isnao2009/pdf/ISNAO09_FP.pdf

[The file starts with a beautiful picture. Abstracts of the presentation start on page 27. The symposium covered the topics of Vitamin D and the Alkaline/acid effect on the bones - issues we've been discussing here on the Board.]

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
CN 3 GKRS 52301
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
DEXA 1/13

Last edited by Jackie07; 11-02-2010 at 07:46 AM..
Old 11-02-2010, 08:06 AM   #11
TanyaRD

Jackie,
This is great. I've had a moment to go through just a few poster abstracts. Thanks for posting. I look forward to reviewing further.

Tanya
TanyaRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:06 PM   #12
imdavidson

Jackie and TanyaRD, this is fabulous information and I'm going to save much of it on my desktop to read more thoroughly. Thanks so much!