HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Keeping Your Mind Off of BC
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Keeping Your Mind Off of BC Fun things and posts that do not apply to BC

Old 04-28-2008, 01:06 PM   #1
Colleens_Husband

Wouldn't we all be better off without this person?

During the ancient days of the Athenian democracy, the Senate, in an effort to run smoothly, had a policy of voting one person each year to be banished from Athens. The person being banished was chosen based on how obnoxious, over-bearing, or long winded they were. Since anyone could be voted out, most Athenians tried to conduct themselves in a civil and cordial manner.

With that in mind, I would like to open up nominations for someone to be banished from society for one entire year. Feel free to make your nominations as well.

My nomination is a couple of thirty somethings who were standing in front of me on Friday evening at the Oregon City Hagens Grocery Store. As this couple were getting their groceries scanned, they saw a woman walk up to the Starbucks counter for some coffee (well, it was probably a skinny vente' frappucino with sprinkles, I'm not even sure if Starbucks even sells just plain coffee) who had extremely short hair. She was about forty, had a cute figure and a pretty face.

The lady said, "Ewww gross!" I can't imagine why any woman would choose a disgusting hairstyle like that!"

The husband said "She looks butch like a dyke or something."

The lady says, "Why in the world would anyone do that to their heads?"

The cashier, who is a friend of mine looks at me and shakes her head, mouthing "Just let it go, Lee".

And upon retrospect, maybe I should have just let it go. I recognized the hairstyle as the "I just got done with chemo and it is a hot day hairdo."

I was going to say, "Have you considered that the poor lady who is the object of your derision has a valid medical reason for her coiffure choice?" I must have misspoken because what came out of my mouth was something like, "You obnoxious jackasses! The lady has obviously had chemotherapy and is growing her hair out. She didn't choose that hairstyle, she chose life instead of death. Cancer is hard enough to survive without some judgmental morons criticizing her. Even so, I hope you two never have to face the ignorant condescension of inconsiderate louts, such as yourselves, because NOBODY deserves cancer. If her fashion sense makes you uncomfortable, then don't go out into public places, because one in eight women will get breast cancer and one in seven men will get prostate cancer. If you think her hairstyle is troublesome, I think her courage and spirit are commendable. Instead of heaping scorn on this woman, who has already been through so much more than your shallow lives can contemplate, why don't you go talk to her and learn a thing about integrity and bravery!"

They quietly paid for their groceries and left the store and the lady got her espresso.

I was still pretty angry at these people when I got in my car to leave, but I thought that life is too short and precious to waste being angry. That is something that my wife's cancer has taught me.

Anyways, what can you do about these type of people? Nothing really, but maybe I can nominate them for some sort of Hall of Shame. Thats what I'm doing now. And you know what? I feel just a litle bit better about everything.

Have a good day, you deserve it,

Lee
Colleens_Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:58 PM   #2
Faith in Him

Thanks, Lee. I have had people stare at me too. I learned quickly to hold my head up high anyway.
03/07 CT & Bone scan - Clear
AC x 4, Taxol x 4, Added Herceptin
Radiation until 09/07
Herceptin every 3 weeks until 06/08
01/10/08 local recurrence -IBC
01/28/08 CT & Brain MRI - clear
02/08 - Navelbine & Herceptin
05/08 -MRM
05/08 - Gemzar & Herceptin - didn't work
09/08 - Hyperthermia rads
03/09 - Tykerb/Xeloda
05/10 - Tram flap to fix wound
Faith in Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:17 PM   #3
lilyecuadorian

yes for me too ....but I 'm sure that going out bold or with extremely short hair is the better way to awareness ...plus if other doesn't like to see that ..is kind like "we are all sharing our pain ...me having the short hair style and you watching ..."
her2+++ and ER+PR+ from32 nodes 4 positives
mastectomy right breast chemo before surgery herceptin/carboplatin/taxotere ,clear and surgery have radiation 20, `& then herceptin and tamoxifen
NED until Aug/07 body only then 'n June 04-06-07 .1 lesion of 1.6 cm on cerebellum ...novalis ,open sugery
5m.m brain met again novalis, 4mm.In the liver. Waiting 2 months now 3 tumors enroll on T-MCC trial start first infusion Nov 5/07 at Dec 17 scan show one tumor despair the 2nd and 3th diminish Doc said great results until March/08 ct scan show progression
03-05-08 start tykerb & xeloda
lilyecuadorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:03 PM   #4
hutchibk

Lee - you are my new hero! Isn't it funny how what we mean to say and what comes spewing out of our mouths is sometimes two entirely different things??? I have learned to love what spews forth! And I only wish I had the quick brain/quick tongue to put together a tirade like yours! Hopefully those jackasses are still sitting at home with their tails between their legs...

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:02 AM   #5
jenniferz

Your wife is an extremely lucky lady to have such a warrior on her side! It would be nice to think that these two people learned something from what you said, but sadly, I doubt it. They have missed that life lesson somewhere along the way. Once stupid, always stupid.

I think you said what others think. I applaud you!

Jennifer
Er/Pr+
Her2+
No chemo, no radiation, No Herceptin
Only Femara for 16 more months
DSH=Definately Still Here.
NED as of January 2010.
jenniferz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:38 AM   #6
StephN

Wink Spartan or Athenian?

Lee,
Your took out the arrow and aimed it well! Just like any good Athenian.

You meant to wound them rather than politely educate their naive little minds. Hopefully now they will keep their mean comments to themselves from now on. But, it may have a secondary effect of them telling their "grocery line calling out" story to others who they catch doing the same as they were doing.

You must have had to clam up and take many curious stares as you are accompanying your wife in her various states of hair/hats/scarves.

I recall going to the opera to see La Boheme wearing a scarf in a (hopefully) somewhat fashionable way as I did not want the people behind me to have to peer over or around a hat. I knew the scarf would draw more attention to my baldness, but did not care! I was as well dressed as anyone else as was my hubby. We were just glad to be able to get out to a cultural event.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:53 PM   #7
Bill

Way to go, Lee! But, next time, don't sugar-coat it, tell us how you really feel!
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:46 PM   #8
dhealey

I applaud you Lee. Last year during my chemo phase I sometimes chose to go out bald ( I hated wearing a wig) I got so many stares I sometimes wanted to put on a sign that said " yes, all you morons I have cancer, this is what we look like." I still deal with the stares and comments from others as I had bilateral mastectomies and did not chose reconstruction. I wear my flat chest as a badge of honor for having survived 14 months of grueling treatments!
4 rounds A/C, 4 rounds Taxol
Herceptin every 3 weeks until Jan. 2008
6/18/07 prophylatic mastectomy R breast
8/2007 started aromasin/stopped arimidex (side effects)
12/07 stopped aromasin due to side effects (now what?)
Finished herceptin 1/8/08
started tamoxifen for 2 years then will switch to femera
allergic to tamoxifen started femera 4/2008
June 20, 2008 portacath removed
Learnig to live life to the fullest!
Stopped Femera due to side effects
July 28, 2008 start trial for breast cancer vaccine
dhealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:54 PM   #9
swimangel72

Lee - this reminds me of a time, many many years ago, when my girlfriend and I were about 20 years old and standing in line at a fast food place. My girlfriend laughed and pointed to a little girl who's hair was long to her shoulders, but only in bits and pieces - she was obviously going slowly bald. Back then, in the haughtiness of good health, youth and ignorance I was STILL shocked that my gf didn't recognize the signs of chemo, so I told her that didn't she ever consider the fact that this poor child was obviously getting chemo treatments? My gf's eyes and mouth opened wide with embarassment. Fortunately the child didn't hear her ignorant comment. Why people are programmed to be so quick with criticisms of anyone different from themselves is a mystery to me - must be some kind of weird "survival-of-the-fittest" gene or something of that nature, because even good-hearted people (like my girlfriend) say the most negative things. So.....education is the answer.....unfortunately compassion isn't taught in too many schools.
IDC Stage 1, Grade 1
ER+ 90% /PR+ 90% /Her2++++, BRAC1 & 2 neg
3/5/08 - mast with muscle-sparing free tram;
0/7 nodes clear; Stage 1 lymphedema in right arm
3/11/08 - MRSA infection in abdomen causes large hernia
4/11/08 - Oncotype DX score 22 (intermediate)
4/12/08 - Muga score 67%
4/23/08 - Chemo, Navelbine and Herceptin every 2 weeks
8/20/08 - Last Navelbine infusion! Yay!
1/22/09 - First mammo since dx - unaffected breast CLEAR!
1/30/09 - Second Muga score 63%
swimangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:18 PM   #10
Becky

I can't remember what visit it was with my rads oncologist (who I still see). I think it was either the last day of rads or the visit that is one month after rads are over. My rads onc is very short for a man (maybe 5'4" or so) but his wife is shorter than him. She is okay looking but certainly not even pretty (but also a doctor).

Anyway, I went to the appointment and wasn't wearing my wig. My hair was very, very short and quite gray. I really don't believe the rad onc had ever seen me that way because I always came to rads flying into the room straight from work (that was a one hr drive away).

So, he was alittle shocked - my wig is much like how I wear my hair so it was longer and brown - now shockingly short and gray (to a point where I was still wearing a wig). He said, "Are you not wearing anything now?" I told him I was because I didn't want people at work to connotate me with being ill. He said, that thank goodness his wife wasn't around because she likes to make fun of people who look or dress funny (with a chuckle).

Why do I still see this man? I told him its very sad that he has to be married to such an overbearing and insensitive woman. (Knowing she was no great beauty and that she is a doctor who never sees patients (radiology)) - I added in that it must be nice to be beautiful and perfect and well loved by everybody. It must be nice to be married to someone like that.

For some reason, we kind of clicked on a certain level AND I like to see him because he knows that I know that not only is his wife a jerk but I know that he is too since his initial reaction to her behavior was endearing. Maybe he was ribbed one too many times for being short but I don't care. When I see him, I always ask how his wife is doing.

Some people were not born nor raised with manners and its that simple. After cancer, I feel it is my duty to let folks know how I feel.

Good for you Lee!

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"

Last edited by Becky; 04-30-2008 at 06:21 PM..
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:30 PM   #11
Mary Jo

Hi Lee,

I don't have anyone to nominate, although I'm sure if I thought long and hard enough I could come up with someone.

The reason for my post is to HIGH 5 you. I loved your post so much that I made my husband pause the DVR so I could read it out loud to him. He loved it too and said "good for him!!!"

Good for you Lee. You gave it to them with both barrels and they deserved it NO DOUBT. They have learned something also because of you. Hopefully they will never, ever look at someone again and judge them. Hopefully your words will always reverberate in their hearts and minds and they will feel shame for what they did.

Once again - HIGH 5's to you Lee..........and I'm sorry you had to witness such a "jackass" display of ignorance BUT I'm confident you taught these people what real men are like. And you are that real man.

Love to you and Colleen,

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:24 PM   #12
Leslie's sister

I've got one too

I'm reading this thread and realizing that there are just plain dumb people out there.

Anyway, here is another idiot comment/question posed to my sister

My sister's hairdresser asked my sister after her very recent double mastectomy, "So what is it like to not have any nipples?"

How would one answer such a question?????????????

Besides the obvious, "So what is it like to not have a brain."
5 cm. Her2Neu+++, ER-, PR-
1 positive node out of six,
double mastectomy 6/9/06;
TCH started 7/12/06
last chemo 10/25/06
herceptin ended 6-11-07

Last edited by Leslie's sister; 05-08-2008 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: addition
Leslie's sister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:08 PM   #13
hutchibk

I like this response that I learned at the Day of Caring last week in Denver - during the Fear of Recurrence meeting:

moronic statement to cancer patient: "Wow, you must have done something really bad to make God mad at you..."

appropriate answer: "Well, if that's the case, then I sure hate to see what he has in store for you!"

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:10 PM   #14
Bill

Good one, Hucklebuck. Alot of people are so thoughtless in what they say. I'm guilty of that too.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:12 AM   #15
Sheila

The best thing I've done was get a port...although not the most attractive accessory on my chest/neck area...I've gotten a few stares and eeewwwssss..like I've swallowed a grape or something...I always tell them "I Love it!!! Its the most expensive jewelry I will ever wear around my neck!" They don't know what to say.

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:55 AM   #16
PinkGirl

There is a joke that I like. I don't think it is appropriate for the newly dx. or those who have recently had
mastectomies, but me and my sick sense of humour rolled on the floor
when I heard it, and I was newly dx.

The story about the hairdresser asking about what
it's like to not have any nipples reminded me of it.
(I can't imagine someone ever asking that question!!!)

So, here's the joke.

What is one of the advantages of not having any
breasts????

No one knows when you're cold.

Get it???? You know how we worry about our nipples sticking
out when we shiver????

Anyhow, I must have heard it at a good time for me because
I laughed til I cried.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:04 AM   #17
Leslie's sister

Good response too

Pink Yeah, I get it. It is good to laugh about all of this.

Would have been a good response to the stupid hairdresser too. Though it lets her off too easy.

Had I been there with SIH (stupid, insensitive hairdresser), I most certainly would have said the "What is it like to not have a brain" comment. Rude, OVERLY insensitive comments irk me.

Keep laughing,

Lisa
5 cm. Her2Neu+++, ER-, PR-
1 positive node out of six,
double mastectomy 6/9/06;
TCH started 7/12/06
last chemo 10/25/06
herceptin ended 6-11-07
Leslie's sister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:34 AM   #18
hutchibk

That's a good one Lisa! You know, you really can't fix stupid.

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Sept'05~
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
May'07~
June'07~
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
Sept'08~
Oct'08~
Dec'08~
June'09~
Sept'09~
Oct'09~

Old 05-19-2008, 08:32 PM   #19
fauxgypsy

I went to the dentist with my daughter during my no hair days. I was wearing a pink baseball cap and I felt awful. A mother and grown daughter sat over on the other side of the room and stared and whispered. I still wish that I had gone over there and told them that my lack of hair was a temporary condition but rude was forever. You go, Lee.
ER+/PR+, her2 +++, nuclear grade 3 of 3
February 20-PET scan showed something on liver. No biopsy.
March- Started carboplatin, herceptin, taxol on a four week cycle
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
June 21- new onc, very concerned that there had been no biopsy,
June 18th-CAT scan, bone scan-negative
August 7th - Brain MRI-negative
August 9th- mastectomy, all pathology negative
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
July 2008-Finished Herceptin!
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:17 PM   #20
BethC

Lee, that might have been me with the goofy hair, so thank you!

I had an experience kind of like yours recently. My family and I are going to Disney World next week and we can't wait. Yesterday, a couple of ladies at PTO asked how long we would be gone and I told them 10 days. They both said "Wow, who gets to go to Disney World for that long" and continued with comments like that. Finally, after the third comment by them, I said "People who have had breast cancer in the past year." I didn't mean to be harsh but they were being so insensitive and clueless I couldn't stand it anymore. Sometimes people need a reality check.
Er+Pr+Her+++
Carboplatin/Taxotere/Herceptin
10-1-07 -- 1-16-08
Herceptin every 3 weeks until 9/24/08
Lump. and node dissection 2-12-08
BRCA1 and 2 negative
30 rads finished 4-23-08
oophorectomy 5-6-08
Femara started 5/25/08
Zometa for osteoporosis every 6 mo. started 9-24-08

Married 16 years!
3 kids - daughter (10), twin sons (7)