HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-01-2009, 05:08 AM   #21
Ellie F

Smile

Thanks for your prayers and support Laurel. The Royal Marsden hospital is one of the main oncology hospitals in England so hopefully they will be able to at least look at my case with fresh eyes!I was talking to a spec breast cancer nurse the other day who told me that in 13 years in the job she had never seen a recurrence just in the opposite side axilla.I alternate between feeling very angry and then equally despairing but am really encouraged by the support I have received from everyone on this site and the wonderful stories of courage fighting this horrible disease
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:28 PM   #22
vickie h

Ibc

Hi Ellie,
Chiming in to welcome you to our site. I am so happy that you are seeking a second opinion, especially with IBC. There isn't a lot of time to wait between treatments and our kind of cancer can spread like wild fire. I am not in any way suggesting that you are not probably doing just fine, but I do worry that so many Oncs out there do not understand IBC and it is so often misdiagnosed. I feel a lot better that you are being pro-active and going for that second opinion. I'm praying that there is an Onc who specializes in this type, or at least has treated IBC and knows the protocols. Much love and support to you. Please let us know how you're doing. I'm sending you cyber hugs, prayers and much, much love, Vickie

Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass,
It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Feb 04 IBC IIIC/IV er-/pr- her2+++
3/04 TCH X4
7/ 04 MRM 9/04 Taxol/herceptin wkly 1 yr 33X rads
11/04 skin mets 33x rads,10/05 Avast/Herc. 11 mos.
8/ 06 PET mets lymphs, neck
9/ 06 Navelbine/herceptin
11/ 06 PET NED
2/ 07 skin mets, 4/07 Xeloda, 5/07 add Tykerb
2/ 08 Tykerb failed. Doxil /Herceptin 6 months
8/08 PET skin mets, 8/08 Abraxane/Avastin
11/ 08 PET prog., skin mets
1/09 PET/CT progress, 1/09 Ixempra, 2/09 add Xeloda and low dose Naltrexone
2/09 off Ixempra/Xeloda
3/09 navelbine/herc/cytoxin 4/09 PET shows regress.7/09 start Topotecan. Failed.
8/09 extensive mets rgt brst, back and torso. starting Pazopanib clinical trial.
vickie h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:40 AM   #23
Ellie F

Thanks Vickie for the warm welcome.Since joining this site the support has been brilliant. When my onc told me the ibc had come back and I had between 1 and 4 years if lucky I felt like giving up there and then! But I continue to pray for a cure for us all and when I read stories on the board of women who have outlived their prognosis it gives me so much hope that better treatments are becoming available all the time.love Ellie
Old 03-03-2009, 04:32 AM   #24
Jackie07

Ellie,

Click on the Blue color heading on the main board, you will see all the previous threads on Inflammatory Breast Cancer. There is one entitled "Need hopeful stories of survivors of Inflammatory Breast Cancer?". I think you will get encouraged by the replies.

Another way to do this is use the Search button on the gold bar above the board. You will be able to find a lot of uplifting survivor stories by typing in the key words of your inquiry.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:38 AM   #25
Ellie F

Update-axillary lymph node mets

Hi everyone, after a struggle finally got my second opinion yesterday! New onc was brilliant.He felt waiting for BC to come back was NOT an option and felt my herceptin should not have been stopped.His plan is to check the receptor status of the removed lymph glands to try to ascertain if it could be a new primary, however he wants me to have 4 cycles of a taxane plus herceptin , then herceptin alone for an indefinite period. His view was that as I am now NED we should try an aggressive approach to try to keep it in remission.He said that my presentation was unusual and therefore difficult to estimate how effective treatment might be as no research available.Thanks to all for good advice.Trying to keep positive though feel very frightened about having a taxane.Love Ellie
Old 04-15-2009, 04:19 PM   #26
adrien

HI,
When my lymph glands showed positive (and I had skin mets) the only thing that worked was Tykerb (for a while). I was about to have them removed (and the rest) when I found a new onc who said the treatment needed changing, that removing them was like 'shooting yourself in the foot'. (He is an eccentric Brit). He uses them as markers so he can see if the treatment is working.

2005 mastectomy (Left ) 10cm IDC in lymphatic system and blood vessels oe- HER2 ++;Taxotere, Herceptin 18 mths
2006 skin tumours below scarline Add Femera, 3 weeks radiotherapy twice daily (unsuccessful)
excision of tumours.
2007 jan skin tumour on L chest wall; positive Right axilla
Temerifen.
September Ca markers rise. Start Tykerb 3 wks radiotherapy
2008 skin tumours regrow. latissimus dorsal flap for excision of skin tumours March 08. HER2++++
Faslodex injections
CEA and Ca15.3 rising
CT scan shows multiple mets in liver, lungs and inguinal glands. Stop Tykerb. Start Xeloda
CEA and Ca15.3 dropping like a stone. Skin tumours disappear.
Return 6 months later.
CT shows increase in size and number liver and lung mets.
Oct: Cyclophosphamide
Markers continue to rise. Change to Caelyx
CEA marker in the 2000s Back to Herceptin
New tunour R Breast
adrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:21 PM   #27
adrien

My lymph recurrence was on the opposite side! I was treated originally at the Hammersmith. There's always something new—that's not so new.

2005 mastectomy (Left ) 10cm IDC in lymphatic system and blood vessels oe- HER2 ++;Taxotere, Herceptin 18 mths
2006 skin tumours below scarline Add Femera, 3 weeks radiotherapy twice daily (unsuccessful)
excision of tumours.
2007 jan skin tumour on L chest wall; positive Right axilla
Temerifen.
September Ca markers rise. Start Tykerb 3 wks radiotherapy
2008 skin tumours regrow. latissimus dorsal flap for excision of skin tumours March 08. HER2++++
Faslodex injections
CEA and Ca15.3 rising
CT scan shows multiple mets in liver, lungs and inguinal glands. Stop Tykerb. Start Xeloda
CEA and Ca15.3 dropping like a stone. Skin tumours disappear.
Return 6 months later.
CT shows increase in size and number liver and lung mets.
Oct: Cyclophosphamide
Markers continue to rise. Change to Caelyx
CEA marker in the 2000s Back to Herceptin
New tunour R Breast
adrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:50 PM   #28
Lani

Ellie anyway you could get an MRI of the breast

you may have an occult tumor there that is not seen with either Mammography or Ultrasound. It may be her2-, so the herceptin could be working on the first tumor...Oops, now I read further and see your second opinion is thinking this way as well.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:31 AM   #29
Ellie F

Hi folks, thanks for your posts.Went armed with my second opinion back to my regional centre yesterday and saw another onc.The receptor status of the axillary nodes is not yet back but the onc said that if there was any change in status she would do an MRI-progress or so I thought! She then spent the next half hour telling me the disadvantages of having taxotere including the information that two of her patients had died of neutropenia!!Having had this once after AC felt my blood pressure rising++.She also said that there was no research about whether it was effective if only the lymph glands were affected and now I have had them removed I am technically NED again. The next thorny issue was restarting herceptin. She felt that as I had 'failed' on it that it probably wasn't worth starting again as it probably wouldn't work. I then said I understood that there was some evidence of synergy between taxanes and herceptin and she shrugged her shoulders. I have another appt in 2 weeks to review the node status.
I would be very grateful for any thoughts or comments as feeling very down and confused now.Left again feeling there was no point going on with the fight. Sorry to be like this but really struggling to stay positive. many thanks love Ellie
ps Don't know what I would do without you all x
Old 04-16-2009, 03:35 AM   #30
Lien

Dear Ellie,

It would make a lot of sense to get a second opinion from Prof. Smith. Over the past years I've found that we really need to be our own advocates. Have you considered having an MRI? Or even a mastectomy on the opposite side? Bringing the tumor load down might helpt. It's also possible that your body - perhaps with help from Herceptin - cleared out the tumor in your opposite breast. Who knows? Clearly they need to dig a bit deeper and there's no reason to give up hope just yet. You need a fighter and a detective for a doc, not a quitter and a sitting-on-his-behind-waiting-for-the-other-shoe-to drop poor excuse for a doctor.

Just my 2 cents

Jacqueline (from the Netherlands)
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:23 AM   #31
Lani

article on how 3T MRI detects tumors not seen on MRI, mammo

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/146171.php
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:39 AM   #32
lkc Gumby

Hi Ellie, I am so sorry you are going through all this. I quite agree with Jacqueline,You need to be your own advocate to receive optimal care. it sucks, but it is true.I know it's hard enough to deal with the dx, but fighting for treatment and getting conflicting rec. of Tx is extremely difficult. Alot of us have been there.
Please do not give up on being assertive with your care. I think it is wise to get the pathology of the nodes removed, and then treat aggressively. Please do not be afraid of the Taxanes, Neutropenia can be managed. We will help you.
Techinically your one doc is right ;there is no specific research on H&T tx. for pos nodes in " unaffected breast". However, you are quite correct that H&T do work synergistically overall for HER pos disease. We all need to remember that Herceptin is relatively new and there are still limited amount of studies to refer to.

It angers me that I think the conflict with the docs are their lack of knowledge in your particular scenario , and also the cost considerations.
I pray you are able to receive the you tx you deserve and works best for you.
God Bless.

Dxed Stage IIIC May 05, 12 pos nodes
er/pr -neg,Her -pos
LVI
Right partial mast & partial axillary dissection-June14,2005
Right modified mast-no clear margins- June 30, 2005
DD AC x4
Taxotere X4 with Herceptin
Rads x 35( 5 fields )
Left prophylactive mast( atypia & hyperplasia found ),
put on Tamoxifen x 1 yr; D/ced due to endometrial thickening
bilateral recon (saline implants)May 06
Nipple recon July 06
metformin 2010
removal of implants due to severe encapsulation, insertion of gummies 2013
Reclast Q yr
NED!!!
lkc Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:25 PM   #33
vickie h

Hi Ellie,
I, too, agree with Jaqueline. If we want to look into statistics regarding Neutropenia you would probably find that a heck of a lot of people have had that (myself, twice) and that is no reason not to try a Taxane. There are drugs like Neupogen that you can have to prevent that and not everyone gets Neutropenia anyway. I hope you follow Jaqueline's advice. we love you and support you and are rooting for you always.
Love, Vickie

Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass,
It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Feb 04 IBC IIIC/IV er-/pr- her2+++
3/04 TCH X4
7/ 04 MRM 9/04 Taxol/herceptin wkly 1 yr 33X rads
11/04 skin mets 33x rads,10/05 Avast/Herc. 11 mos.
8/ 06 PET mets lymphs, neck
9/ 06 Navelbine/herceptin
11/ 06 PET NED
2/ 07 skin mets, 4/07 Xeloda, 5/07 add Tykerb
2/ 08 Tykerb failed. Doxil /Herceptin 6 months
8/08 PET skin mets, 8/08 Abraxane/Avastin
11/ 08 PET prog., skin mets
1/09 PET/CT progress, 1/09 Ixempra, 2/09 add Xeloda and low dose Naltrexone
2/09 off Ixempra/Xeloda
3/09 navelbine/herc/cytoxin 4/09 PET shows regress.7/09 start Topotecan. Failed.
8/09 extensive mets rgt brst, back and torso. starting Pazopanib clinical trial.
vickie h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:59 PM   #34
Ellie F

Thanks everyone for your advice and support,words can't express what a difference it makes.
I feel a lot brighter and more positive tonight, sometimes I think the language that oncs use like 'failed' and 'not cost effective' are demoralising and add an extra burden to an already difficult journey.
I am back in two weeks when hopefully my node status will be known. I then intend to push for an MRI before starting taxotere. I did manage after a hard struggle to get the onc to agree to give me herceptin as well even though she told me it was a waste of money as I had already 'failed' on it. Thanks to the good advice from my sisters here I was well able to put forward the arguments about synergy!
Ellie
Old 04-16-2009, 01:19 PM   #35
Mary Anne in TX

Ellie, I don't have IBC, but I have had Taxol and Taxotere and herceptin and more! You can do the taxanes, girl! Get determined to fight for YOU! I think when they don't know what to do next, it's them getting discouraged and passing it on to us! Just say a HUGE, "No Thank You" and continue to know that no one on the planet deserves better care or attention. You're important alright!!!! Very important! When you get discouraged think about all of us (tons of us) standing behind you holding you up and cheering outrageously! You can do this! ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote