HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-17-2006, 09:25 AM   #5
marymary

Update and Thanks

My husband just accepted the new job offer, although much if not all of the increased salary will go to Blue Cross in the form of high yearly out-of-pocket-maximums. These are $ 4,000 per year per enrollee.

The phone rep. put me on hold, then came back and said Blue Cross covers Gamma Knife "if it is medically necessary". OK, so that piece was just plain irritating. We're not having cosmetic surgery here.

I still have a few questions. The new Blue Cross policy is small group. Medicare, if I had it, would therefore be primary. Right now I only have Medicare part A. Should I sign up for Part B to help defray the OOPM's? I'm guessing my husband's change in employment might be considered a qualifying event (even though the new employer offers insurance). It might be an administrative nightmare since Medicare would be primary payer. I'm guessing the answer is no but I hate to guess on these things.

Other question, he only just became eligible for insurance in October at the job he is leaving. We have received new i.d. cards from Health Net but they have yet to deduct a premium (clearly this was a mistake). I'm not positive if they have to offer us COBRA continuation coverage since he will not be employed throughout the month of October. Our former COBRA policy is set to expire this coming Wednesday. No pressure here.

Just got back from Washington and have been glued to spreadsheets, the net etc. since Sunday. Today it's off to San Francisco for Herceptin. The good news: I just received the third and final vaccine. Let's hope these things work, we need some miracles. Thank you so very much for your feedback; I've noticed all breast cancer survivors tend to be insurance experts.

Love,

Mary
marymary is offline   Reply With Quote