HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-04-2005, 05:40 AM   #1
jessica

Bummer...I was wrong that Abraxane might not cause hair loss...it does. Just like taxol.
I just had my first dose of Abraxane (w/Herceptin) yesterday.The plan is 3 cycles, q 3 weeks, then scan again. The infusion was really quick (30 mins) NO benadryl or steroids, thank goodness. But yes, complete hairloss is expected.
This seems like a strange question, but since I don't have any experience w/q3 week tx (both times I was on Taxol, I always did weekly tx;w/weekly tx, my hair gradually thinned,by day 21, first from the back, but then the top & sides, etc...) What can I expect w/q 3 week tx? I keep hearing about "clumps" falling out...?
There is a slim possibility that I won't have to complete the entire 9 week; Next week I'm consulting w/a surgical oncologist & with the interven. rad. that did my RFA. We're still wrestling with one stinky spot, (but still nothing else anywhere else since Sept. 03 !)so maybe the combination of some chemo & some surgery will finally do the trick.
I'd love to hear your opinions & thoughts...
Keep the Faith, Ladies!
Jessica
Old 03-04-2005, 06:49 AM   #2
Cindy H.

You are right, bummer, I'm sorry. I had the Taxol every 3 weeks and my hair fell out fast about 3 weeks after the first dose. It wasn't very long so I was able to shave it after half of it came out in the shower. Another bummer is that the Taxol didn't work for me so I lost my hair for nothing.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:00 PM   #3
linda sears

Dear Jessica,
I just started Abraxane Thursday, also. Taxotere has taken most of my hair--gradually over the last 4 months. So, when the Abraxane finishes it off, it won't be a great loss. What I really would like to know though how your doctor decided to add the Herceptin to your Abraxane. Dr. Kevin Fox at Penn told me to wait until the clinical results were in as to how successfully and safely they combined. I would prefer taking both since Herceptin usually is quite synergistic and makes the chemo more effective, If you could let me know how this decision was made( trial results or whatever), I'd really appreciate it. Also did you take Neulasta or any decadron with yours? Thanks much, Linda
Old 03-06-2005, 06:34 PM   #4
jessica

hi linda,
there was never any major discussion about whether or not to combine herceptin w/abraxane. she did make sure that i understood that abraxane has never been studied w/herceptin, but that was it. incidentally, there isa trial at mem.sloan kettering studying weekly abraxane (abi-007)w/herceptin & carboplatin currently underway.
Also, remember "Taxol" is paclitaxel in a cremphor based preservative. Abraxane is a paclitaxel in an albumin base. So the active ingredient is identical, it's just the 'vehicle' that delivers the drug that is different.
Think of taxol delivering paclitaxel in a big metro bus w/lots of pollution. Abraxane delivers all the benefits of paclitaxel in a vehicle that doesn't leave behind pollution & all kinds of toxicity that require pre-meds like decadron or benadryl.
Since I just had my first dose on Thurs. I'm not due again for 3 weeks. Too early to determine if my whites are going to take a hit, but definitely no decadron w/ the infusion.
Right now I'm still completely fixated on my hair falling out AGAIN. I'm trying to meditate on it & WILL IT TO STAY STUCK IN MY HEAD!! i did see a post from another woman on another site that has been in the MSK study for the past 7 months (weekly abraxane/hercep/carbo) & has experienced "minimal hair loss". I'm so jealous!
Hope this info is helpful. Please feel free to email me directly @jmalucas4@gmail.com if I can help w/anything else.
Until then, take good care & keep the faith,
Jessica