HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-24-2011, 02:01 PM   #22
snolan

Re: Reconstruction

Just joined this group. I was dx 6/8/10 with DCIS, elected to have bilat mast with reconstruction. When I got the path reports back after surgery they found the HER2+ stage 1 and the DCIS was up agaisnt my skin and to my chest wall. What was supposed to be a quick in and out, as far as C treatment goes, has now turned into a longer journey. My PS advised me to take out the expander on the L since I now had to have radiation but my radiologist recommended keeping it in. But when the drains came out the L side got infected. The PS worked with me as best we could to save it with multi doses of antibiotics and draining the fluid but to no avail we had to take it out. I now have to wait 6-12 month (PS recommends 12 mon) for reconstruction. I have elected the lattissimus flap since I am a very active person I do not want to have my abdominal muscle removed. I am through my chemo and radaition. I will finish my herceptin in Aug. I know I could go to Houston to have just the skin flap done but with young kids and the trouble I have had I just want to stay in town. I have had only good advice from all my Dr. My PS has been very patient with me and has tried to follow what ever I have have asked (within reason of course) to try to keep me away from the more invasive surgeries. I still have the expander on the R which will be finished when we do the L.
snolan is offline   Reply With Quote