HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-19-2003, 02:53 PM   #1
Tammy

I was reading the post and replies about arm and breast pain with great interest. I don't have much of the arm pain but my chest along my ribs and sternum and under my arm hurt so bad sometimes I can hardly stand it. I had a silicone implant about 18months ago - by my node surgery was about 3 yrs. ago. I called my oncologist's office to ask about it and the nurse there told me to start with my regular doctor or surgeon. OK, so I went to my dr. and she said she believed it to be costal chondritis (inflammation of the cartilage along the ribs). I haven't been able to find much info on this and she had given me an antibiotic b/c I also had a sinus infection, and told me it would go away soon. Well...it hasn't! Does anyone know how to tell the difference between the nerve pain/post surgical pain you all are describing and pain from recurrence or bone mets? I hate to think the worst but it is hard. I am going to try to enjoy the holidays and not worry too much for my kids sake. Anyone ever have pain all around the outside of their implant, like it is bruised but isn't. I don't have any hardening like capsular contraction or anything. Thanks for reading my long rambling message. You are all the best for being here. It is so hard when no one else really understands the anxiety! You're all in my prayers! Tammy
Old 12-21-2003, 02:32 PM   #2
Lolly

Hi Tammy,
I don't have implants, but did you have radiation to the chest? Sometimes fibrosis caused from radiation can cause a lot of pain. I have an area in my rib cage that burns and stings if I stretch a certain way; according to my CT scan reports I have a small area of fibrosis in that area. Have you had any CT's or an MRI? It could be inflamation also, that can be very painful. Try not to worry too much, but if it's still botering you after the holidays, start complaining about it, you know the saying "the squeaky wheel gets the grease"!
Hugs,
Lolly
Old 12-22-2003, 01:38 AM   #3
Tammy

Thanks for the response Lolly! I didn't have radiation but the several surgeries in that area may also be a factor. I'll see how the next week goes and then call. Have a peaceful holiday! Tammy
Old 12-22-2003, 02:01 PM   #4
Linda in Calif.

Hi Tammy: I had Saline Implants in July. Even when I just had my expanders I experienced pain in my ribs. I had radiation so that may have contributed to the pain. I know it sounds strange but I was able to reduce the pain by doing some stretching exercises. If you have access to a physical therapist they might be able to recommend something. I would definitely have the pain checked out if it continues to bother you. Then you won't have to worry it's something worse and if it is bad news it's better to know it and deal with it than just worry about it. Hope you feel better soon. Linda