HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 01-12-2011, 05:02 AM   #1
hezzy

Xeloda and Tykerb along with/Dex

My schedule is upside down and I'm no longer sure what to do to find something to work. Any advice would be great.
Im taking steriods four times a day and suppose to take them six hours apart. On top of taking Xeloda twice a day 10 12 hours apart, than Tykerb whenever. I talked to the ONC and she said I could put the time closer together so I get sleep, but when I do that I'm only getting a few hours of sleep a night.
Im taking amoxicillen just because on top of all of this I have an ear infection, and today Im feeling like my throat is ready to explode it just feels swollen.

They told me they wouldn't know if the DEX is helping push fluid away from the brain tumor so the other two drugs will help me or not for another month if that. I have to admit I'm worried I never even heard of it. I'm just lost and can't even think of what to do .... or if I'm diong anything worth it.
- 6 mths taxol
-6 mths abrexene
- Nov 07 started herceptin still on
- was on tamoxifin wasn't working, gettin something new soon

Aug 09
- brain mets
- 3 tumors
- highest being 4cm large
- others under 2cm
- WBR rads in morning, than afternoon hitting each one direct
- rads to vertebrate

- Sept 09
- getting ready to start Xeloda
- continue herceptin
- just finished w/ rads on brain mets, and vertebrate

(think im doing this right now)
hezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:04 AM   #2
Mary L

Re: Xeloda and Tykerb along with/Dex

Hezzy, I am so sorry you are going through all of this. Is anyone helping you? I have been praying for you and hoping things get easier for you. Best Wishes! Mary L
Mary L from PA Diag: Oct 2003 w/6mm mass, IDC grade III ductal carcinoma in-situ, IBC stage IIIB. tx A/C followed by Taxotere(only able to have 2 tx, allergic), mastectomy, 3 0ut of 7 positive nodes. 35 rads. Recurrence 9 months later, skin mets to mastectomy site. Tx Carboplatin/Herceptin. Stayed on Herceptin almost 5 years, had 3 more recurrences when I had to stop Herceptin due to my ejection fraction getting too low. Herceptin stopped and ned 3 years in Oct. 2010.
Mary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:42 PM   #3
Trish

Oh Hezzy I'm sorry things are so difficult right now. The things you are doing are very worthwhile. Unfortunately I found Dex a very difficult drug: it made me disorganised, impulsive overactive and scattered-not to mention the awful effect on sleep. I took it as an anti -nausea agent and I understand you are taking it to reduce swelling, so the amount may be very different. On top of everything else you have earache and an extremely sore throat. Little wonder you are feeling so lost and miserable. Take the advice about timing the Dex so you can get as much sleep as you can. Were you given anything to help sleep? Try and get as much of a routine happening as you can and try to enjoy the little sleep you can manage. I'm hopeful that you will start to get better as the drugs start to take effect and perhaps the amount of Dex will then be able to be reduced. Do keep communicating to your doctors just how difficult you are finding this time.
I'm thinking of you often and hoping things are getting easier. Thanks for posting.
Trish
5/2006
oopherectomy, Arimedex
12/2006
liver mets largest 9cm
1/2007
Herceptin,
3/2007
Taxol + Herc
1/2008
Herc alone
4/2008
Multiple bone mets,Zometa
7/2008
Herc + Gemcitabine
8/2008
Herc+Navelbine/vinoralbine
10/2008
Herc+Carboplatin+Taxol
12/2008
Tykerb+Xeloda
2/2010
Herceptin + trial drug
5/2010
Herceptin+Tykerb
8/2010
Tykerb+Abraxane
9/2010
Abraxane
12/2010
Abraxane+Tyk+Herc
4/2011
Tyk+Herc+Femara
6/2011
Liver and bone mets prog.Abraxane continue Herceptin,Tykerb,Femara and Zometa
8/2011
Probable liver progression and increased neuropathy. Xeloda with Tyk+Herc. Zometa 6 weekly.
9/2011
Liver progression,TM +++. Cyclophosphamide and Methotrexate metro Herc Zometa
10/2011 liver mets prog.Herc, 3 Tykerb +2mg decodron daily,Zometa
Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:10 AM   #4
Jackie07

Hezzy,

I think the sleep problem has more to do with the treatment of the brain mets. I've had brain tumor(s) my whole life and always have sleeping problems. The sleep-awake cycles are controlled by the right and left Thalamus and they are right in the center of the brain.

About the medicine schedule - I believe you can make a schedule to take all of them during a 12-14 hour schedule from 8 am to 8(or 10) pm.

Just remember to take the antibiotic (amoxicillen) with food (such as after every meal and a snack before bedtime) so it won't hurt your stomach. Most medicine can be taken every 4 hours. So I would suggest to take the Dex early in the morning and then every 4-5 hours after the first dose (how about before each meal?) Take Xeloda after breakfast (or a mid morning snack if it needs to be apart from the antibiotic) and then after supper.

Take Tykerb every night after supper or any other set time that's easy for you to remember.

Make a simple grid and check off the medicine you've taken just so you can get a visual que (or you can record it on your calendar). I've found it handy to use the alarm schedule on my cell phone as reminders. But I have problem remembering whether or not I've taken it after the alarm goes off - especially if there's other interruptions such as a phone call. So try to take your meds at a set time that's easy to remember and count your pills if that will help. (I also use a 7-day pill box as a safeguard)

I am sensing some anxiety here - especially about the effectiveness of the treatment for your brain mets. Steroid such as DEX helps reduce swelling and is important to curb the side effect from the radiation treatment. Tykerb and Xeloda have been standard treatment for brain mets because the molecule of Tykerb is small enough to penetrate the blood-brain barrier. There are trials going on right now on the combination of Herceptin and Tykerb and other new drug and new combinations.

We've got several members here on the Board that have beat brain mets and either are on maintenance or been NED (think of Christine, the founder of this support group) So hang in there.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote