HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 05-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
Kmswilson

Tykerb + different chemo than Xeloda?

I'm looking for anyone who has used any other chemos (other than Xeloda) in conjunction with Tykerb. I'm told I'm running out of treatment options since I had some regression and some progression with the Tykerb and Xeloda combo in my liver. My doc is concerned that there aren't many studies that include Tykerb with something other than Xeloda. After the last scans, he started me on Tykerb and Herceptin. I'm just trying to see if anyone out there has done any combos with Tykerb so I can share the info with him. He's also got his research department looking for any trials I could get into, particularly TDM-1. I'm in Louisville, KY if anyone has any suggestions! Thanks, all!
12/27/10 - IDC, rt breast (approx. 15 cm), lymph nodes, age 36. 1/7/11 - stage 4 IDC, extensive liver mets, Bone mets (spine, sacrum, rib, sternum, upper arm), ER-/PR-, HER2+++; 1/12/11 - port, 1/17/11- startweekly Taxol/Herceptin, monthly Zometa
3/8/11- decrease in all tumors, bones healing. 3/11- 3 wks on/1 off Taxol/Herceptin, +Zometa
6/6/11 - decrease in all tumors, healing bones, 2-4 new liver lesions. 3 wks on/1 wk off Taxol/Carbo/Herceptin, +Zometa
7/29/11 - liver progression, others stable; 8/11-drop taxol/carbo, start Navelbine
12/11 - liver progression; begin AC, drop Herceptin;
1/12 - liver enzymes normal, 2/6 results show regression in liver, stable others, but 9 tiny brain mets (largest 7 mm). Begin 13 WBRs 2/6; 2/29-start Tykerb, 3/7, start Xeloda
5/2012- liver progression and regression, liver biopsy confirms HER2+++. drop Xeloda, start Herceptin, Tykerb, Zometa.
5/2012- brain MRI shows all lesions gone except 1, 2mm shrinking!
Kmswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
ElaineM

Wink Re: Tykerb + different chemo than Xeloda?

I remember seeing studies for Tykerb and Taxol or Abraxane. Try to search that combo on the internet or at www.clinicaltrials.gov. I also read something about Tykerb and Navelbine, but I don't remember where I read it.
You might want to suggest that combo to your doctor or get a second opinion. Sometimes different doctors have different experiences with combos. Not all doctors read the same research studies. Not all doctors have experiences with the same chemo combos. Also doctors have different preferences based upon their experiences with patients.
Good luck. Take good care of yourself.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
ElaineM

I hope this helps. You may want to show this to your doctor. It is a trial for Lapatinib/nab-Paclitaxel (Taxol or Abraxane). Follow the link for more information.

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00709761
14 Year Survivor
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Old 05-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #4
Kmswilson

Re: Tykerb + different chemo than Xeloda?

Thanks so much for the info. I was on Taxol first, and it stopped working after a few months and I had progression. Same with Navelbine. I'll keep looking though. Hoping the Herceptin and Tykerb are kicking it into high gear right now, and maybe i'll have a miracle and not need another chemo to go with the Tykerb! I always have that hope! :-)
12/27/10 - IDC, rt breast (approx. 15 cm), lymph nodes, age 36. 1/7/11 - stage 4 IDC, extensive liver mets, Bone mets (spine, sacrum, rib, sternum, upper arm), ER-/PR-, HER2+++; 1/12/11 - port, 1/17/11- startweekly Taxol/Herceptin, monthly Zometa
3/8/11- decrease in all tumors, bones healing. 3/11- 3 wks on/1 off Taxol/Herceptin, +Zometa
6/6/11 - decrease in all tumors, healing bones, 2-4 new liver lesions. 3 wks on/1 wk off Taxol/Carbo/Herceptin, +Zometa
7/29/11 - liver progression, others stable; 8/11-drop taxol/carbo, start Navelbine
1/12 - liver enzymes normal, 2/6 results show regression in liver, stable others, but 9 tiny brain mets (largest 7 mm). Begin 13 WBRs 2/6; 2/29-start Tykerb, 3/7, start Xeloda
5/2012- liver progression and regression, liver biopsy confirms HER2+++. drop Xeloda, start Herceptin, Tykerb, Zometa.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
my2boys

Hi Krissi,

When I was on Tykerb, I was also on weekly Taxol..and Herceptin once every three weeks. I only took Tykerb for one year, but I am still on Herceptin two years later.
my2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
Rolepaul

I second the navelbine/Herceptin pairing. MD Anderson is using that for non- brain/spine tumors.
Rolepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #7
ElaineM

I am so glad you seem to be doing better with the Herceptin and Tykerb combo.
However, just a note. Just because Taxol stopped working with Herceptin it does not mean that it won't work with Tykerb. There is different synergy with Taxol and Herceptin than there is with Tykerb and Taxol, because Herceptin and Tykerb work differently with the various chemos in the body.
All the best to you. Keep up the good work.
14 Year Survivor
Old 06-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #8
PatE

Hi Krissi,
I know you asked about chemo but I've had great success with Cyberknife for a liver met. I was treated 8/08 and scans show my liver is clear of cancer. I know Brown Cancer Center is installing a machine soon. Yes, I am formerly from the Louisville area. Cyberknife also worked on a met L2 spine treated 5/10.
I am currently on Tykerb and Herceptin, I have progression in a couple of lymph nodes. Been on this combo since 2/12 and CA27 is up to 94 then down to 54 then up to 76 so not clear. Last scan was mixed, so after all the news reports Im trying to get into a TDM1 study. From what I could tell there is a TDM1 enrolling somewhere in Louisville. I live in the Tampa area now but I would be willing to commute to Louisville, got lots of friends and family to help me there.
Good Luck
PatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #9
Kmswilson

Thanks, PatE and everyone! I don't know that I'm a good candidate for cyberknife in my liver. It's about 25% cancer, and unfortunately it's a bunch of different sized tumors and lesions throughout, not just in one location. What a bummer! My doc said his research team found a TDM-1 trial open in Nashville, but it's a 50-50 randomization, and he doesn't want to take the chance of me getting the dealer's choice and not the TDM-1 at this point. If there is one that opens in Louisville, please let me know, that would be fantastic! Though I'll travel wherever I need to in order to stomp this crap!

I did well on taxol and Navelbine both for at least three or four months, and it's great to know that they may work differently with Tykerb. I've been making a list of info to share with him. He's a fantastic oncologist, and he's always open to my bringing him whatever info I've found. I see him on Monday, so I'll talk with him about all of this!

Thanks again for all of the suggestions and support. I love this place! :-) keep kicking this stuff, gals!