HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-16-2006, 03:28 PM   #1
sabpri

How do I make a decision about entering trial?

I just passed my one year anniversary from diagnosis with breast cancer (August 05). My diagnosis was at least Stage 3, and probably Stage 4 (inconlusive mets to bone). I am only 38 years old, with 3 young children that need me for a very long time. I want to do everything that I can to beat the odds.

My friend who has been battling mets to lungs for 3 years is currently in a clinical trial (stem cell transplant and vaccine + immune therapy). She told me she wished she would have been more aggressive about finding a clinical trial/vaccine trial when she was in remission, prior to her recurrance. Not that it may have been prevented, but maybe. I have blown it off because I didn't want to deal with any more treatments and try and put this behind me, as I will be coming off Herceptin in October when I hit my one year mark.

Lately I have been thinking about what I can do to better my odds. I have already had a double mastectomy and ovaries removed. I am taking Zometa for my bones and Arimidex, but I feel like I should do more instead of waiting around hoping and praying this beast does not come and get me again.

I guess I feel intidmidated by the thought of looking at clinical trials. I saw a thread about a new vaccine trial opening up in October, but where do I even start? How do I make a decision to move forward in participating, and how do I know which one is right for me?

Obviously I will consult with my Oncologist, but I know the ultimate decision is going to be mine.

Those of you that have done one, or are contemplating one, can you help me with what kinds of things I need to look for, what type of process you went through to make your decision and any other experience in taking that plunge to pursue additional avenues other than the "normal" treatments like Arimidex and Zometa.

Thanks so much!
Natalie
sabpri is offline   Reply With Quote