HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2015, 08:57 PM   #1
Lani

Lightbulb important-- turning her2+ Stage IV into chronic treatable disease

or even "curing it" Lock all the doors, bolt all the windows, move all the dressers away from the windows...let's keep this puppy from getting out to the yard to chase the squirrels!!

New signaling pathway discovered in HER2-positive breast cancer, and two potentially powerful drug targets
[Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory]
Cold Spring Harbor, NY -- One of the most promising ideas in cancer treatment is to apply a lesson learned in the fight against AIDS (Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome): simultaneously attacking a pathological process at different points of weakness can, in some cases, deal a knock-out blow. Just as the so-called AIDS “cocktail” directs multiple agents against multiple targets, so too might future anti-cancer cocktails be directed at multiple, highly specific targets in known cancer pathways. One key in cancer is knowing precisely which targets to hit, in which combinations, for the illness takes many different forms and works through a stunning variety of biological mechanisms.

A team at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (CSHL) has published in the Journal of Biological Chemistry results of experiments that lay bare a previously unknown pathway activated in a highly lethal form of breast cancer. The pathway, they discovered, contains at least two potentially powerful drug targets, according to the team leader, CSHL Professor Nicholas K. Tonks.

The breast cancer type is called HER2-positive. Affecting about one breast cancer patient in four, it is characterized by tumor cells overexpressing a signaling protein called HER2. The drug Herceptin, which targets HER2, is an effective first-line treatment for about one-third of women with HER2-positive breast cancer, but in most cases, resistance to the treatment develops within a year.

HER2-positive breast cancer, which is associated with poor prognosis, has been traced to an excess of signaling through receptors, or docking ports, called HER2 found on the surface of certain mammary epithelial cells. (Scientists also use the name ERBB2 to describe this surface receptor). When an activating protein docks at the receptor, a cascade of signals is sent inside breast cells. Ultimately, these signals change the expression of genes in the cell nucleus, causing the cell to grow abnormally. Herceptin, when it works, blocks the ability of HER2 receptors to send these aberrant, growth-inducing signals inside the cell.

But often Herceptin does not work at all, and even when effective, it stops working after a while. With this in mind, Tonks and a team that included Mathangi Ramesh, a Ph.D. student in his lab and first author of the new paper, set out to find weaknesses “downstream” of the HER2 receptor, inside breast cancer cells. In particular, they looked at the possible involvement in the HER2 pathway of a class of enzymes called protein tyrosine phosphatases, or PTPs. Transmission of signals in a cell is controlled by the coordinated activity of two families of enzymes: protein tyrosine kinases, which add phosphate groups to proteins, and protein tyrosine phosphatases, which remove them. Dr. Tonks purified the first-discovered member of the PTP family of enzymes, called PTP1B, in1988. It has been shown that PTP1B has a role in regulating proliferation in HER2-positive breast cancer cells.

In the new work, the team looked at 37 members of the PTP family to see if any of them also helped to regulate some part of the HER2 pathway. Using a three-dimensional model of mammary cell development created by Dr. Senthil Muthuswamy, formerly of CSHL and now at the University of Toronto, the team tested to see if abnormal growth initiated by HER2 signaling would be either enhanced or reduced if any of the 37 PTPs was experimentally “knocked down.” They went through the list methodically, one at a time. This led them to focus on one in particular, called PTPD2.

In this screen, Mathangi Ramesh found that when PTPD2 was absent in mammary cells grown in 3-D culture, the cells failed to grow abnormally, even when the HER2 signaling pathway was activated. PTPD2, therefore, is what scientists call a “positive regulator” of the pathway. Without it, abnormal growth of the type seen in HER2-positive cancers does not occur. Conversely, a future drug that prevents PTPD2 from acting in cancer cells could generate therapeutic results – by preventing or reducing HER2 signaling.

In other experiments designed to determine how PTPD2 operates in HER2-activated breast cancer cells, the team found an “interaction partner,” a lipid called phosphatidic acid, or PA. PTPD2 binds to PA, the team discovered, and becomes more active as a consequence. Another series of experiments demonstrated that when the enzyme that generates PA in the cell, called PLD2, is targeted with an existing small-molecule drug, abnormal growth does not occur in mammary cells in which the HER2 pathway is activated. Thus PLD2 is also a potential drug target.

Perhaps most exciting, the CSHL team was able to show a specific series of relationships with direct implications for possible future combination drug development. “In this work, Mathangi Ramesh has found a new pathway – a signaling pathway downstream of HER2 that we didn’t know about before,” Tonks says. “Two components of the pathway, the phosphatase PTPD2 and the lipid PA, are together required for HER2 signaling to function in mammary epithelial cells.” Specifically, they are required in processes in which mammary cells lose their normal polarity, or spatial orientation; and in which the cells lose the ability to commit preprogrammed suicide, or apoptosis, upon detection of gross abnormalities. Both of these flaws occur in HER2-positive breast cancer cells.

Both PTPD2 and PLD2 might therefore be the targets of future drugs. So too might the phosphatase PTP1B, which in prior work was shown to be required for a third aspect of HER2-related carcinogenesis – proliferation – that neither PTPD2 or PLD2 specifically affects, as shown in the current phase of the research.

“If you can use combination approaches, hitting multiple targets within the cell to reduce the activity of each, and you see a synergistic effect between them, you may be able to overcome some of their harmful effects in HER2-positive cancer, and perhaps also resistance,” says Tonks. “That is our goal.”

The research described here was supported by the National Institutes of Health; The Gladowksy Breast Cancer Foundation; The Don Monti Memorial Research Foundation; Hansen Memorial Foundation; West Islip Breast Cancer Coalition for Long Island; Glen Cove CARES; Find a Cure today (FACT); Constance Silveri; Robertson Research Fund; Masthead Cover Yacht Club Carol Marcincuk Fund.

ABSTRACT: A Novel Phosphatidic Acid-Protein-tyrosine Phosphatase D2 Axis Is Essential for ERBB2 Signaling in Mammary Epithelial Cells
[Journal of Biological Chemistry] We used a loss-of-function screen to investigate the role of classical protein-tyrosine phosphatases (PTPs) in three-dimensional mammary epithelial cell morphogenesis and ERBB2 signaling. The study revealed a novel role for PTPD2 as a positive regulator of ERBB2 signaling. Suppression of PTPD2 attenuated the ERBB2-induced multiacinar phenotype in three-dimensional cultures specifically by inhibiting ERBB2-mediated loss of polarity and lumen filling. In contrast, overexpression of PTPD2 enhanced the ERBB2 phenotype. We also found that a lipid second messenger, phosphatidic acid, bound PTPD2 in vitro and enhanced its catalytic activity. Small molecule inhibitors of phospholipase D (PLD), an enzyme that produces phosphatidic acid in cells, also attenuated the ERBB2 phenotype. Exogenously added phosphatidic acid rescued the PLD-inhibition phenotype, but only when PTPD2 was present. These findings illustrate a novel pathway involving PTPD2 and the lipid second messenger phosphatidic acid that promotes ERBB2 function.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:12 PM   #2
Rolepaul

Re: important-- turning her2+ Stage IV into chronic treatable disease

That is very exciting. I would also like to hear if PDL1 or similar type of drugs are being paired with Herceptin to get better activity. Right now, Perjeta plus TDM-1 is over US$23,000 per treatment. I hope that insurance companies do not decide it is better to have treatment declined and pay a fine versus getting good treatments in place. And I hope we in the pharma/Biotech manufacturing community can get people in place to cut the cost of these drugs.
Rolepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 01:51 PM   #3
KDR

Paul,
How fully on board do you think pharma is with immunotherapy?
Karen
Diagnosed: June 2010, liver mets. ER-/PR+10%; HER2+++.
July 2010: Begin Taxol/Herceptin. Eliminate sugar from diet. No surgery or radiation.
January 2011: NED
April 2011: Progression in liver only. Other previous affected areas eradicated. Stop Taxol/Herceptin after 32 infusions.
May 2011: Brain MRI: clear.
May 2011: Begin Tykerb daily, Xeloda twice per day for one week on, one week off, and Herceptin.
November 2011: Progression in liver. All other tumors remain eradicated.
December 2011: BEGIN TRIAL #09-093 Taxol, MCC-DM1 (T-DM1), Perjeta.
Trial requires scans every six weeks, bloodwork and infusions weekly.
Brain MRI: clear.
January 2012: NED. Liver mets, good riddance!
March 2012: NED. Developed SMA (rare blood clot) in intestinal artery and loss of sight in right eye due to optical nerve neuropathy. Resolved when Taxol removed this month.
Continue Protocol of T-DM1 weekly and Perjeta every 3 weeks.
May 2012: NED.
June 2012: Brain MRI: clear.
June-December 2012: NED.
December 2012: TRIAL CONCLUDED; ENTER TRIAL EXTENSION #09-037. CT, Brain MRI, bone scan: clear. NED.
January-March 2013: NED.
June 2013: Brain MRI: clear. CEA upticking; CT shows new met on liver.
July 3, 2013: DISASTER STRIKES during liver ablation: sloppy surgeon cuts intercostal artery and I bleed out, lose 3.5 liters of blood, have major hemothorax, and collapsed lung requiring emergency resuscitative thoracotomy, lung surgery, rib rearrangement and cutting deep connective tissue, transfusion. Ablation incomplete. This life-saving procedure would end up causing me unforgiving pain with every movement I make, permanently, otherwise known as forever.
July 26, 2013: Try Navelbine/Herceptin. Body too weak after surgery and transfusion. Fever. CEA: Normal.
August 16, 2016: second dose Navelbine/Herceptin; CEA: Normal. Will skip doses. Watching and waiting.
September 2013: NED, Herceptin only. CEA: Normal. Started Arimidex.
October-November 2013: NED. Herceptin and Arimidex. CEA, CA125, 15-3: Normal.
December 2013: Something brewing. PET lights up on little spot on liver; CEA upward trend, just outside normal. PET and triphasic liver scan confirm Little Met. Restart Perjeta with Herceptin, stay on Arimidex. Genomic sequencing completed for future treatments, if necessary.
January 2014: Ablate Little Met on the 6th. Happy New Year.
March 2014: Brain MRI: clear. PET/CT reveal liver mets return; new lung mets. This is not funny.
March 2014: BEGIN TRIAL #10-005 A(11)-Temsirolimus plus Neratinib.
April 2014: Genomic testing indicated they could work, they did not. Very strange drug combo for me, felt weird.
April 2014: Started Navelbine and Herceptin. Needed something tried and true, but had significant progression.
June 2014: Doxil and Herceptin.
July 2014: Progression. Got nothing out of it. Brain: NED.
July 2014: Add integrative medical hematologist-oncologist to my team. Begin supplements. These are tumor-busting, immune system boosters. Add glutathione, lysine and taurine IV infusions every three weeks.
July 2014: Begin Gemzar, Herceptin & Perjeta. Happy.
August 2014: ECHO perfect.
January 2015: Begin weekly Vitamin D Analog infusions. 25 mcg. via port.
February 2015: CT: stable.
April 2015: Gem working, but not 100%. Looking into immunotherapy. Finally, treatments for the 21st century!
April 2015: Penn Medicine. Dendritic cell immunotherapy.
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:39 PM   #4
Rolepaul

Immunotherapy is pretty expensive. It is very individualized in many cases. Treatments on the order of $100,000 for cell derived therapies using the patient's cells are common place. I asked for the ability to reduce the cost by 75%, ie get it to $25,000 per patient dose. The client company said they did not think that was possible. Still not sure it is. TDM-1 is $23,000 per dose list price at the hospital. That is a lot for insurance companies to handle. I do not want to go back to the 1950s when cutting was the only option and death was going to occur to disfigured people. I think we need to educate people to think and get meds to be like the computer industry. Get costs down and make healthcare better.
Rolepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:52 PM   #5
KDR

I see a huge disparity between immunotherapy costs and long-term treatments costs, much to the dismay of Big Pharma.

Karen
Diagnosed: June 2010, liver mets. ER-/PR+10%; HER2+++.
July 2010: Begin Taxol/Herceptin. Eliminate sugar from diet. No surgery or radiation.
January 2011: NED
April 2011: Progression in liver only. Other previous affected areas eradicated. Stop Taxol/Herceptin after 32 infusions.
May 2011: Brain MRI: clear.
May 2011: Begin Tykerb daily, Xeloda twice per day for one week on, one week off, and Herceptin.
November 2011: Progression in liver. All other tumors remain eradicated.
December 2011: BEGIN TRIAL #09-093 Taxol, MCC-DM1 (T-DM1), Perjeta.
Trial requires scans every six weeks, bloodwork and infusions weekly.
Brain MRI: clear.
January 2012: NED. Liver mets, good riddance!
March 2012: NED. Developed SMA (rare blood clot) in intestinal artery and loss of sight in right eye due to optical nerve neuropathy. Resolved when Taxol removed this month.
Continue Protocol of T-DM1 weekly and Perjeta every 3 weeks.
May 2012: NED.
June 2012: Brain MRI: clear.
June-December 2012: NED.
December 2012: TRIAL CONCLUDED; ENTER TRIAL EXTENSION #09-037. CT, Brain MRI, bone scan: clear. NED.
January-March 2013: NED.
June 2013: Brain MRI: clear. CEA upticking; CT shows new met on liver.
July 3, 2013: DISASTER STRIKES during liver ablation: sloppy surgeon cuts intercostal artery and I bleed out, lose 3.5 liters of blood, have major hemothorax, and collapsed lung requiring emergency resuscitative thoracotomy, lung surgery, rib rearrangement and cutting deep connective tissue, transfusion. Ablation incomplete. This life-saving procedure would end up causing me unforgiving pain with every movement I make, permanently, otherwise known as forever.
July 26, 2013: Try Navelbine/Herceptin. Body too weak after surgery and transfusion. Fever. CEA: Normal.
August 16, 2016: second dose Navelbine/Herceptin; CEA: Normal. Will skip doses. Watching and waiting.
September 2013: NED, Herceptin only. CEA: Normal. Started Arimidex.
October-November 2013: NED. Herceptin and Arimidex. CEA, CA125, 15-3: Normal.
December 2013: Something brewing. PET lights up on little spot on liver; CEA upward trend, just outside normal. PET and triphasic liver scan confirm Little Met. Restart Perjeta with Herceptin, stay on Arimidex. Genomic sequencing completed for future treatments, if necessary.
January 2014: Ablate Little Met on the 6th. Happy New Year.
March 2014: Brain MRI: clear. PET/CT reveal liver mets return; new lung mets. This is not funny.
March 2014: BEGIN TRIAL #10-005 A(11)-Temsirolimus plus Neratinib.
April 2014: Genomic testing indicated they could work, they did not. Very strange drug combo for me, felt weird.
April 2014: Started Navelbine and Herceptin. Needed something tried and true, but had significant progression.
June 2014: Doxil and Herceptin.
July 2014: Progression. Got nothing out of it. Brain: NED.
July 2014: Add integrative medical hematologist-oncologist to my team. Begin supplements. These are tumor-busting, immune system boosters. Add glutathione, lysine and taurine IV infusions every three weeks.
July 2014: Begin Gemzar, Herceptin & Perjeta. Happy.
August 2014: ECHO perfect.
January 2015: Begin weekly Vitamin D Analog infusions. 25 mcg. via port.
February 2015: CT: stable.
April 2015: Gem working, but not 100%. Looking into immunotherapy. Finally, treatments for the 21st century!
April 2015: Penn Medicine. Dendritic cell immunotherapy.
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:31 PM   #6
forher

Two things from this article stuck out to me:
1. "Highly lethal form of breast cancer"
2. "Resistance to treatment (herceptin) within a year" - do any of you find this to be true? I asked my oncologist to put me on perjeta along herceptin, but she won't add perjeta because she said something about resistance. I don't have systemic disease(per scans) but do have shrinking brain mets. I asked to get herceptin to help keep my body clear. Should I even do this? Should I be concerned about herceptin resistance?
BMX Dec 2013
28 Rads Feb 2014
Exchange surgery June 2014
Herceptin end Sept 2014
Headaches start Oct 2014
CT body clear Nov 2014
Brain MRI 4 lesions Nov 2014
SRS via LINAC in Dec 2014
Rt side infection, hospitalized, lost right implant on Jan 1, 2015
Jan 14 2015 MRI brain lesions shrinking
Jan 27 2015 Re-start herceptin every 3 weeks
Feb 2015 CT/PET Body clear
Re-start Lymphedema treatment April 2015
Breast MRI clear April 2015
Brain MRI April 2015 - shows everything stable, nothing new (whew)
CT scan June 2015 - clear
forher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:57 AM   #7
Mtngrl

Lani--

Thank you so much for keeping up on the new developments and posting on this site. I am so grateful for you and your diligence and wisdom.

I am pleased to see there's further work being done on my specific kind of cancer, and I'm also excited about the implications for cancer treatment in general. I get the impression that Herceptin ushered in a whole new era in cancer research. Looking for "on" and "off" switches that can be regulated seems like a very promising idea.

Cancer is so complex, and so cunning. I can't say I feel "blessed" to have gotten it, but having a strong incentive to learn more about the history and science of cancer is, for me, sort of a silver lining. Maybe it's more like a rusty tin lining (an expression I stole from someone else, but I love it). Anyway, I'm always interested in learning more.

Amy
Mtngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:39 AM   #8
laura4252

I've been Stage 4 since 2009, with mets to the lungs in 2011. 2014 I noticed heaviness in upper respiratory area, then in April I decided I needed oxygen to deal with shortness of breath. I was on oxygen (I was consistently below 90, in the mid 80's), so I went on oxygen 24/7--Very strange for me since I've always been extremely active. I decided to try Abraxane after years of saying NO to non-targeted chemo. Within three weeks I was completely off oxygen, but the side effects of the chemo are huge, and I'm not inclined to do Cycle 3 and 4......PET/CT on June 12.
2005: DCIS Stage 0, Right breast, High grade, lumpectomy, radiation, no mastectomy 2009: Diagnosed Her2 new+++, Herceptin only (toxic reaction to Taxotere). Great response to Herceptin 2011 lung mets 2012 tried several targeted chemos- none worked
2013 TDM1- good job resolving some lung mets 2014 Took a treatment break, Oct. Allergic reaction to Doxil 2015 Herceptin & Perjeta
laura4252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:44 PM   #9
suzan w

Once again, Lani, you have provided valuable info in (sort of !) easy to understand terms. It is one of my greatest life accomplishments to have gotten the upper hand on Her2+ breast cancer.
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:06 PM   #10
agness

It sounds like the connections they are finding are related to liver functionality - for insulin and repair. I wonder if a ketogenic diet might adjust for some of this to add to the mix in the meantime.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-benefits.aspx

I feel like my liver and adrenals haven't ever recovered from the stress that caused my initial disease to start.
agness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:49 PM   #11
norkdo

thank you for this post.
amazing info.
RolePaul:
re: the $23000 cost of one dose of the medicine you discussed.
Rather than us pressuring our govt's (meaning taxpayers) to pay the ransom charges, what would it take for women with HER2 to band together and get other people on board, to form mobs of rocket-launching, hostage taking angry public demonstrations on the streets in front of the pharmaceutical company? Just sayin'. I will settle for a "get arrested in large numbers" peaceful demonstration alternative and drop the violent part of it, even. What say, ladies? Who's with me?

mast/lymphectomy: june 7 2011, 5/20 cancerous nodes. stage 3a before radiation oncologist during our first mtg on july 15th says he found cancer on the lymph node of my breast bone. Now stage 3b.
her2+++, EN-, PN-. Rt brst tumors:3 at onset, 4.5 cm was the big one
chemos: 3fec's followed by 3 taxotere, total of 18 wks chemo. sept: halfway thru chemo the mastectomy scar decides to open and ooze pus. (not healed before chemo) eventually with canasten powder sent by friend in ny (illegal in canada) it heals.
radiations:although scheduled to begin 25 january 2012, I am so terrified by it (rads cause other cancers) I don't start til february, miss a bunch, reschedule them all and finally finish 35 rads mid april. reason for 7 extra atop the 28 scheduled is that when i first met my rads oncologist he said he saw a tumor on the lymph node of my breastbone. extra 7 are special kind of beam used for that lymphnode. rads onc tells me nobody ever took so long to do rads so he cannot speak for effectiveness. trials had been done only on consecutive days so......we'll see.....
10 mos of herceptin started 6 wks into chemo. canadian onc says 10 mos is just as effective as the full yr recommended by dr. slamon......so we'll see..completed july 2012.
Sept 18 2012: reconstruction and 3 drains. fails. i wear antibiotic pouch on my job for two months and have 60 consecutive days visiting a nursing centre where they apply burn victims' silver paper and clean the oozing infection daily. silicone leaks out daily. plastic surgeon in caribbean. emergency dept wont remove "his" work. He finally appears and orders me in into an emergency removal of implant. I make him promise no drains and I get my way. No infection as a result. Chest looks like a map of Brazil. Had a perfectly good left breast on Sept 17th but surgeon wanted to "save another woman an operation" ? so he had crashed two operations together on my left breast, foregoing the intermediary operation where you install an expander. the first surgeon a year earlier had flat out refused to waste five hours on his feet taking both boobs. flat out refusal. between the canadian health system saving money and both these asses, I got screwed. who knows when i can next get enough time off work (i work for myself and have no substitute when my husband is on contract) to get boobs again. arrrgh.

I have a blog where I document this trip and vent.
www.nora'scancerblog.blogspot.com . I stopped the blog before radiation. I think the steroids made me more angry and depressed and i just hated reading it anymore
norkdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:50 AM   #12
Juls

I read this post months ago and reread today. I'm with forher. Not to take away from the rest of the article but the "in most cases resistance to the treatment develops within a year" really bothers me.
If true why are some of us on this for years. I have been on H for 2 1/2 years, another lady at my clinic has been on it for 8-9 years & many others just as long. I do realise that Doctors are unsure about when to stop treatment in case it comes back.
In another recent post Dr Slamon suggests if no progression at 3 years , consider stopping herceptin. So who or what do we trust or do?

Nora - In UK at the moment many drugs cancelled here due to cost. TDM-1 is another one at risk. There is a petition here aiming to get 50,000 signatures to send to Roche to bring cost down. Its just under the 50k at the moment. (change.org) The problem is it seems quite low key!
Juls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:08 AM   #13
Mtngrl

Yeah--we're definitely not there yet.

I don't know if I'm "resistant" to Herceptin, but it's pretty clear I need to have something else with it. My most extensive progression was when I was on Herceptin with an aromatase inhibitor (which did no good because I was no longer ER+) for five months.

Amy
Mtngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:06 AM   #14
laura4252

I agree with Amy-- We have similar history and diagnosis, and Herceptin stopped "cutting it" after two years....I tried all kinds of other targeted therapies, Xeloda, Navelbine, Gemzar- none worked. After two years of Stage IV (lungs), I was preparing for mastectomy of the right breast when TDM1 came on the scene. I decided against mastectomy and did TDM1 with Heceptin for 18 months when it stopped working. I tried Doxil October 2014 (found out I'm allergic to that and Taxotere)....Lungs worsened in 2014 into 2015, so we added Perjeta to Herceptin Jan. 2015, lungs worsened to the point that I was on oxygen 24/7 April 2015. I tried Abraxzane--my body agreed to that, and in six weeks there was remarkable improvement (two cyles, two weeks on, one week off). Chemo was horrible, and for the first time since I started Herceptin in 2011 I lost my hair, shaved my head and joined the ranks of bald women ravaged by chemo.....but it worked, kind of.....I'm doing two more cycles at 75% dose (just finished the first) and this whole cancer crap is getting really old.....I'm wary of the alternative therapies, so I just keep going along eating well, taking care of my body and soul, and hoping for a pill so I can get this lousy port out someday soon.....
2005: DCIS Stage 0, Right breast, High grade, lumpectomy, radiation, no mastectomy 2009: Diagnosed Her2 new+++, Herceptin only (toxic reaction to Taxotere). Great response to Herceptin 2011 lung mets 2012 tried several targeted chemos- none worked
2013 TDM1- good job resolving some lung mets 2014 Took a treatment break, Oct. Allergic reaction to Doxil 2015 Herceptin & Perjeta
laura4252 is offline   Reply With Quote