HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2011, 03:35 PM   #1
TriciaK

rash after chemo-now over a month

I am still covered with a measles-like rash all over my body. It does not appear to be lessening after more than a month. I am going crazy with the terrible itchiness which nothing seems to relieve. Anyone have a similar reaction? Any suggestions? The rash appeared in late January after my second round of gemzar and herceptin.(No reaction to the first gemzar). It looked like it might be clearing up a little after several weeks, and my oncologist thought we might try half a dose of gemzar, which we did on February 28. Unfortunately the rash immediately worsened, and has not let up since. It covers my whole body except face, hands and feet! I have not had any chemo or herceptin since then, and the oncologist doesn't want to try any other chemo or the herceptin until the rash clears up. My ca 27-29 markers rose in January but have dropped again last week, so I don't know what is going on. My oncologist would like me to try tykerb and I think zoloda, both of which are large pills. I really want to stay with infusions since I have a power port and I just can't swallow large pills, especially not a dozen at a time! I am feeling quite confused about it all, and wonder if going without any chemo or herceptin is a good thing.I have tried to do some research about chemo treatments but feel I am getting more and more confused. I am also wondering if not doing any chemo is wise. Wouldn't herceptin alone be at least better than nothing, or does it need a chemo with it to be effective? Any experiences, suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much for those shared in my earlier posts. Hugs, Tricia
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
ElaineM

Wink Re: rash after chemo-now over a month

There is no reason you should have to suffer like you are suffering now. You might want to do a couple things.
1. Ask the oncology staff for printed information about the drugs you are taking. Look on there to see if rash or skin reactions are listed as a possible side effect.
2. Do an internet search on each drug and look up side effects.
3. Get the name and phone number of the drug companies for each drug you are taking and call them.
You can get phone numbers by doing a search for the drugs name. That will reveal the name of the drug company that makes the drug. Click on that link and go to the drug company website. A phone number and other contact information will always be listed somewhere on the website.
Most drug companies have pharmacists who are willing to talk to patients about issues and/or side effects they experienced while on their drugs. I have found them very helpful each time I did that.
4. There might be some kind of drug interaction between the drugs you are taking (both cancer and non cancer drugs) that might be causing the rash. There might also be an interaction between one of your drugs and some kind of food. Your doctor may not even be aware of this possible problem.
An experienced drug company pharmacist might be able to tell you about that.
There are various websites where you can check for number 4 yourself. I have included links to 2 of them below.
http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php
http://www.medscape.com/druginfo/druginterchecker
I had this experience a couple times. Once I found out there was an interaction between 2 drugs that my doctor was not even aware of. After I talked to a pharmacist I was able to follow his advice about taking the 2 drugs at different times of the day to eliminate the symptoms. It was very simple to solve that problem once I knew how to do it myself. I told my doctor what I did and he was happy to learn something new he didn't know before.
Good luck. Take good care of yourself.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:41 PM   #3
ElaineM

Wink Re: rash after chemo-now over a month

I forgot to mention a few other possibilities.
Have you changed any medication from brand name to the generic version lately?
One of my medications was changed from brand name to the generic version. I got a rash around my nose and mouth that 4 doctors could not resolve. I talked with a pharmacist at my local pharmacy. Although the drug itself was the same the generic version had a filler (binder) powder that was cheaper than the one in the brand name, but caused more allergies. I had it tested against my face with allergy testing and sure enough the generic version contributed to the rash, but the brand name did not. I told my doctor who filled out forms for the insurance company so they would pay for the brand name again. Problem solved. The rash went away.
Also our skin and other body parts change as we get older. Sometimes we become sensitive to things we were never sensitive to before. I became latex sensitive after I became a cancer patient !!!!!!!!!! I was not latex sensitive when I was younger or before cancer treatment. Anything with latex and even some other kinds of adhesives cause an instant rash !! What kinds of equipment does the staff where you are treated use? Does any of it have latex? You might want to consider allergy testing, not only for latex, but for other things as well.
The next suggestion is have you changed any cosmetics, soaps, household cleaners, laundry soaps and other things you use on a daily basis lately?
I have to be very careful about soap----------even soap that is supposed to be good for the skin. I can't use any soap or cleaning product with fragrance.
Perhaps you would like to see a good dermatologist for help too !!
I hope you solve the mystery soon, so you don't have to suffer any longer.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
tricia keegan

Re: rash after chemo-now over a month

Tricia,

Good advice from Elaine, I also would think either herceptin or Tykerb right now would be a good idea rather than nothing at all.
It seems like the Gemzar is not suiting you so either of the above drugs may help while this rash clears up, has your onc given you anything to help that along?

I really am so sorry you have this, my Mum used to swear by Calamine lotion for any type of skin rash or itch but it may be under a different name in the U.S but hoping you find some relief soon.
Sending lots of good wishes to you my friend! xx

P.S I just googled this and it seems you're not alone http://drugspedia.net/prep/33785.html Its advised to contact your onc about this to get something to help!
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!

Last edited by tricia keegan; 03-12-2011 at 04:48 PM..
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:16 PM   #5
Barbara H.

Re: rash after chemo-now over a month

Hi Tricia,
Maybe you could have your oncologist give you a few tablets of Tykerb to try at home to see if you can swallow them. If you can then you could consider taking them with Herceptin. Xeloda is the drug in pill form that is usually taken with Tykerb. I would not recommend it at this time because it is a more difficult chemo to tolerate. In addition, the skin issues with the feet and fingers are increased when both of these drugs are taken together.
Good luck,
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote