HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-24-2007, 04:46 PM   #1
Karen O.

Questions about Ports

I need to get a catheder port before I start my chemo and am wondering what is involved in the installation process and also the maintenance. Is everything under your skin? Is there a big lump there that looks funny under tight fitting or low-cut clothes? Anything else I should know? How far in advance of the beginning of my treatment do I need to do this. I realize my doctor can answer most of these questions, but I don't see her again for awhile.

I am so glad to have found this site! Thanks in advance for any advice you veterans can offer me.
Karen O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 05:33 PM   #2
mslinda

Port

Hi Karen:
I had what they called a port-a-cath. It was under my skin above my heart on my left shoulder. It was a breeze going in. They gave me something that made me not care what they were doing to me, but I could understand what they were saying, etc. I was in recovery about 30 min. and then went home. I think some on this board said they went and had chemo right away, but I think it was a couple of days for me. It sure makes it easier. Just one stick, hurts a little when they stick, but it is right under the skin, so not too bad.

I hope this is helpful to you, and I wish you the best the next few months of treatments.

Linda
IDC, ER-PR-, HER2Neu+++
7mm tumor, Stage 1, Grade 3
6 CAF's
38 Rads
Finished 10/05

"Worry looks around. Sorry looks back. Faith looks up."
mslinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:24 PM   #3
Margerie

I ended up getting a port after chemo to continue herceptin because my veins crapped out. I elected a PAS port- it is smaller and mine is placed on the inside of my upper arm. I also got a RX for EMLA cream. I put it on the skin over my port before I go to my appointments with a bandaid on top. I don't feel a thing when they access it. I did however have a sore arm after the surgery!! Maybe I am a wimp. Anyway, i had general anesthesia (needed thyroid surgery also) so of course I don't remember a thing.

The PAS port is a little more expensive (insurance covered), a little harder to place (need a good surgeon), slightly more risk of a clot, but lower surgical risk (nicking the lung, etc.) I love mine. It hardly shows at all. It is a small bump under the skin- only shows when I stretch out my arm. No maintenance if you are having regular treatments, need to flush it out every month or so after therapy completed. I haven't decided how long to keep it afterwards.

Dx 10/05 IDC, multi-focal, triple +, 5 nodes+
MRM, 4 DD A/C, 12 weekly taxol + herceptin
rads concurrent with taxol/herceptin
finished herceptin 01/08
ooph, Arimidex, bilateral DIEP reconstruction
NED
Univ. of WA, Seattle vaccine trial '07
Margerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 08:02 PM   #4
LAURIE

If you do a search on this site for port you will find a lot of previous threads with great info.

Laurie
Diagonsed 8/10/06 (found own lump)at 35
Her 2 +++, er-/pr-
4 A/C 8-29-06 to 11-06
Lumpectomy, node dissection- 11/30/06
Pathology report stage IIIC
1 tumor 3 cm
10 of 15 nodes +
12 Taxol 12/18/06-03/06/07
Herceptin 12/18/06- 12/11/2007 done!!! yeah!!!
33 rads started 3/22/07, done!! yeah!! 5/07/07
Lymphedema diagonsed 2/1/07
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
port out 1/10/08
pregnant after 6 yeas of trying- due mid feb.
Ryder David Kessel Hunter born feb.6th 2009

LAURIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:55 PM   #5
Erin

I had my port placed after my first TCH because I got an infection in the vein they used. Mine is a "power port" which sounds like a good thing, and I suppose it is, since they say I can receive injections of dyes, etc in it for other kinds of tests I might need. The bummer is that it is pretty big - 1inch by 1 inch and sticks out of my chest about 1/4 inch. Pretty obvious. I couldn't get it put in my arm since the right is the BC side, and the infection was in the left arm.

The procedure was uneventful. I did not take the offered sedative since I wanted to drive home later that morning. There was a lot of pushing and pulling, and I could definitely "feel" the tubing going into the vein. Didn't hurt, but kind of creepy. I had my second round of TCH only three days after the port was put in and it was no problem at all. I actually prefer it to using a vein...it hurts less and it leaves both my arms free to read, eat, etc during infusions.

Good luck with your procedure and keep us posted
:-)
SNB 3 nodes clear
Stage 1, Grade 2, HER2+++ (FISH 6.8)
ER + / PR +
TCH, 6 rounds, finished 6/1/07!!!
Herceptin to continue for 1 year
36 rads finished 8/22/07
Port out 8/27/07
Switched to Herceptin weekly for joint pain
Ooph 11/13/07
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:34 AM   #6
KellyA

Hi there,

I, like Margerie, have a PAS port also. I just love mine. It's easy to use and in an "out of the way" place. The docs don't usually offer this unless you ask. A friend who went through chemo told me about it (she had one)- otherwise I would have never known they exist. A radiologist put mine in with a local and it only took about 15 minutes. Honestly, unless its in use, I forget that I even have one.

Love, Kelly
Stage 2b, 2 tumors- 2.2 cm and 0.6 cm, 3/5 + nodes
all scans clear
genetic testing- negative
06/06 began dd A/C x 4, 12 weekly Taxols w/ Herceptin
30 rads
Herceptin weekly x 1 year
Herceptin completed 08/07
Port removed 12/26/07 MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!
05/17/08 Two year anniversary NED

"We gain strength, courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... you must do the thing that you think you cannot do."

-Eleanor Roosevelt

KellyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:58 AM   #7
mts

I had a pediatric port- tiny and perfect. I am not a little person either. Barely noticeable under the skin, above my left breast, under the bra strap... I went through chemo and a year of Herceptin with no problem. Just had it removed last month!

I too, had to ask for this small one. Has it placed at outpatient surgery under general anesthesia and had first chemo same day. Had it removed in 15 minutes in doc's office.

Maria (MTS)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:10 AM   #8
astrid

I did not know you could get a small port. I have a non heparin port on my left side that is noticeable only when I wear a bathing suit, but I do not care. Funny, when we went to Moorea last year a Tahitian girl asked me if it was a pacemaker so I explained what it was. It does not bother me at all to discuss it. My port has been wonderful, I HATE needles in the veins, can’t even watch it on Gray’s anatomy so the port is great. I will miss it when it goes.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:09 PM   #9
MCS

I love, love, love the port. My veins were shot after ac treatments ( nurse was not good). I's small and barely noticeable. Use the Emla cream, which is topical Lidocaine at prescription level-you won't feel anything. By the way, rugb a little of it when you get the scans and you won't feel the prick of the needle for these either!

I also had it done with local only. Uncomfy because you do feel the pulling and pushing of the tube but not really feel anything.
I'm hesitaing to take it off, really, that's how great it is.

mcs ( maria)
MCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:02 PM   #10
KRISS

I have a power port. Asked about the pas port but surgeon said no for me. I went directly from the port insertion to my first chemo. That was great. I was still a little loopy from the surgery so chemo flew by. Also if you wait a few after insertion before your first chemo it may still be tender. Even with the cream one of our sisters sitting next to me at chemo last week said it really hurt. She had her port put in 4 days earlier. Even with all that, it is the way to go especially if you are going to do Herceptin. Good luck
PARTIAL 12/18/06
HER2+ /ER+(75%) PR+(5%)
4 DD AC CHEMO STARTING 1/10/07
4 DD Taxol Starting 3/5/07
1year weekly Herceptin starting 3/5/07
finished 2/18/08
changed to every 3 weeks 4/23/07
completed 33 radiation treatments 7/6/07
TAH and BSO 9/24/07
start Femarra 10/8/07
Started Neritinib trial 12/14/09
KRISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:54 PM   #11
Bev

Karen, I was amazed. Earlier someone wrote that a surgeon asked her to bring her bathing suit so she could place it where it wouldn't be seen. Mine was fat dime size but I didn't like the way it looked under low-cut clothes. Yikes. Looks like a small tumor. Plus I could see the cathether line to my neck sometimes.

The port is one of our smaller problems. I'm not completely on the port bandwagon, but it's not terribly hard to do. Best of luck to you. Bev
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote