HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-09-2007, 08:41 PM   #1
Erin

swtiching out a too-large port?

Hello again ladies,

New question for you tonight. I am considering having my port changed to a smaller one and would like to know the kinds you have and the pros and cons.

The port that the radiologist put in me is a "Power Port" (kind of makes me feel like a superhero - lol). The problem is that it is HUGH! It is about 1 inch by 1 inch and sticks out of my chest about 1/2 inch. I am short and thin and the thing looks like a hugh tumor on my chest. I had to have a chest port since my bc is on the right side and I had a phlebitis (sp?) infection in my left arm from the first chemo (pre port).

My onc was shocked by the size of the port and doesn't know why the radiologist put such a large one in. Nevertheless, he says he wants me to keep it for a year for Herceptin. It is so disfiguring! I am running out of clothes that cover it and we aren't even into summer yet here in SoCal. I cannot even were a v-neck or scoop-neck tee shirt. It is more shocking to people than the bald head.

So, I am thinking about going back to the radiologist and asking them to change to a smaller version. Some of you have even talked about a pediatric port. Any feedback you can give would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance :-)
SNB 3 nodes clear
Stage 1, Grade 2, HER2+++ (FISH 6.8)
ER + / PR +
TCH, 6 rounds, finished 6/1/07!!!
Herceptin to continue for 1 year
36 rads finished 8/22/07
Port out 8/27/07
Switched to Herceptin weekly for joint pain
Ooph 11/13/07
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:56 PM   #2
ExpectAMiracle

I had my port put in last Monday on my right chest, below the collar bone. The port is about 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch and sticks out no more than 1/4 inch. It is a Lifeport by RITA medical systems and the model # is LPS7513. Right now it still has steri strips over it, but it doesn't seem that it will be that noticeable at all. I am not "thin" unfortunately, but it looks pretty small to me right now. You may want to ask the doctor to put in a smaller one since it is so "prominent" for you. All the best with this! You are BEAUTIFUL!

Determined to be a VICTOR not VICTIM - by the grace of God!
DX 2/8/07 at 48
1.75 cm IDC in left breast, Stage 1
Grade 3, ER-/PR-/HER 3+
Lumpectomy 3/7/07, 5/5 nodes clear, clear margins
Starting TCH on 4/9/07, every 3 weeks X 4 treatments - Completed on 6/12/2007
33 rads to began 7/2/07 and completed on 8/22/07
Herceptin every 3 weeks until April '08
ExpectAMiracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:03 PM   #3
Bev

Hi Erin, My dime-sized port was manufactured by Bard of Salt Lake City. It looked like a small tumor. Mine was placed a little too high to wear all my tanks. Someone wrote that their doc had them bring their bathing suit top and port was placed accordingly. How thoughtful. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote