HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-21-2012, 07:54 AM   #1
Lani

An aspirin a day keeps cancer at bay?

Three new studies published on Wednesday added to growing scientific evidence suggesting that taking a daily dose of aspirin can help prevent, and possibly treat, cancer.

Previous studies have found that daily aspirin reduces the long-term risk of death due to cancer, but until now the shorter-term effects have been less certain - as has the medicine's potential in patients already diagnosed with cancer.

The new studies, led by Peter Rothwell of Britain's Oxford University, found that aspirin also has a short-term benefit in preventing cancer, and that it reduces the likelihood that cancers will spread to other organs by about 40 to 50 percent.

"These findings add to the case for use of aspirin to prevent cancer, particularly if people are at increased risk," Rothwell said.

"Perhaps more importantly, they also raise the distinct possibility that aspirin will be effective as an additional treatment for cancer - to prevent distant spread of the disease."

This was particularly important because it is the process of spread of cancer, or "metastasis", which most often kills people with the disease, he added.

Aspirin, originally developed by Bayer, is a cheap over-the-counter drug generally used to combat pain or reduce fever.

The drug reduces the risk of clots forming in blood vessels and can therefore protect against heart attacks and strokes, so it is often prescribed for people who already suffer with heart disease and have already had one or several attacks.

Aspirin also increases the risk of bleeding in the stomach to around one patient in every thousand per year, a factor which has fuelled an intense debate about whether doctors should advise patients to take it as regularly as every day.

Last year, a study by British researchers questioned the wisdom of daily aspirin for reducing the risk of early death from a heart attack or stroke because they said the increased risk of internal bleeding outweighed the potential benefit.

Other studies, including some by Rothwell in 2007, 2010 and 2011, found that an aspirin a day, even at a low dose of around 75 milligrams, reduces the long-term risk of developing some cancers, particularly bowel and oesophageal cancer, but the effects don't show until eight to 10 years after the start of treatment.

Rothwell, whose new studies were published in The Lancet and The Lancet Oncology journals on Wednesday, said this delay was because aspirin was preventing the very early development of cancers and there was a long time lag between this stage and a patient having clinical signs or symptoms of cancer.

Rothwell and others said deeper research was now needed into aspirin as a potential treatment for cancer in patients whose disease has not yet spread.

"No drug has been shown before to prevent distant metastasis and so these findings should focus future research on this crucial aspect of treatment," he said.

Peter Johnson, chief clinician at the charity Cancer Research UK, said his group was already investigating the anti-cancer properties of aspirin. "These findings show we're on the right track," he said.

In a written commentary on the research in The Lancet, Andrew Chan and Nancy Cook of Harvard Medical School in the United States said it was "impressive" and moved health experts "another step closer to broadening recommendations for aspirin use".
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
CoolBreeze

Re: An aspirin a day keeps cancer at bay?

It's interesting because it also seems to slow the progression of cancer even in women who have mets. I may just have to add a little aspirin to my regimen.

08/17/09 Dx'd.
Multifocal/multicentric IDC, largest 3.4 cm, associated ADH, LCIS, DCIS
HER2+ ER+/PR- Grade 3, Node Negative

10/20/2009: Right mastectomy, reconstruction with TE
12/02/2009: Six rounds TCH, switched to Taxol halfway through due to neuropathy
03/31/2010: Finished chemo
05/01/2010: Began tamoxifen, the worst drug ever
11/18/2010: Reconstruction completed
12/02/2010: Finished herceptin
05/21/2011: Liver Mets. Quit Tamoxifen
06/22/2011: Navelbine/Zometa/Herceptin
10/03/2011: Liver Resection, left lobe. Microwave ablation, right lobe - going for cure!
11/26/2011: C-Diff Superbug Infection, "worst case doctor had seen in 20 years"
03/28/2012: Progression in ablated section of the liver - no more cure. Started Abraxane, continue herceptin/zometa
10/10/2012: Progression continues, started Halaven, along with herceptin and zometa.
01/15/2013: Progression continues, started Gemzar and Perjeta, an unusual combo, continuing with herceptin and zometa
03/13/2013: Quit Gemzar, body just won't handle it. Staying on herceptin, zometa and perjeta.
04/03/2013: CT shows 50% regression in tumor, so am starting back on Gemzar with dose reduction, staying with perjeta/herceptin/zometa. Can't argue with success!
05/09/2013: Discussing SBRT with Radiology due to inability of bone marrow to recover from chemo.
06/07/2013: Fiducial placement for SBRT
07/03/2013: Chemo discontinued, on Perjeta, Herceptin and Zometa alone
07/25/2013: SBRT (gamma knife) begins
08/01/2013: SBRT completed
08/15/2013: STABLE! continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
06/18/2014: ***** NED!!!!***** continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
01/29/2014: Still NED. continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin. Zometa lowered to every 3 months instead of monthly.
11/08/2015: Progression throughout abdomen and lungs. Started TDM-1, aka Kadcyla. Other meds discontinued. Remission was nice while it lasted.

5/27/18: Stable. Kadcyla put me right back in the barn. I have two teeny spots on my lungs that are metabolically inactive, and liver is clean.

I’m beating this MFer. I was 51 when this started and had two kids, 22 and 12. Now I’m 60. My oldest got married and trying to start s family. My youngesg graduates from Caltech this June. My stepdaughter gave me grandkids. Life is fantastic.
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
JennyB

I've been taking a low dose aspirin every day since about 3 months after diagnosis. I don't know if it is at a strength strong enough to help or not but I seem to always be in the small percentage who develop side effects to drugs so am not game enough to take a full strength one!!
Clear margins but lymphovasculer invasion
Stage 3a Grade 3
Fec 100 x 3 Jan '11 Taxotere X 3 and Herceptin X 1yr
Staging scans - CT brain & body and bone - May '11 - NED!!
Start Femara - in chemo induced menapause
25 Rads June '11
Dec '11 Menstruation resumed - zoladex inj monthly and Tamoxifen
Feb '12 Back on Femera and Zoladex
March '12 CT brain & body & bone scan all clear
Zometa x2/yearly
April '12 - Oopherectomy

Praying the Herceptin is as good as its hype!!
JennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
gdpawel

Marya Zilberberg, an independent physician health services researcher, commented on her blog about this:

"Just as the risk of bleeding begins to drop, so does the risk of developing cancer. This could be a complete coincidence, but perhaps not. An alternative explanation is that people who already have cancer, though it may not yet be diagnosed, may be at a higher risk for a bleeding complication. Those who develop a bleeding complication presumably are taken off aspirin. But remember, they may already be harboring a cancer that will rear its head in the near future. But what about those who do not bleed and therefore are able to tolerate aspirin for a longer time? They also seem to have a drop in their risk of incident cancer. But of course this may have nothing to do with aspirin's preventing cancer, so much as with its ability to unmask a cancer that is already present and essentially weed them out from the future risk pool for cancer development. And when you weed out those at a higher risk for clinical cancer, by definition you have a group with a lower than standard risk, creating the potential for a selection bias. Make sense?"

"Conversely, the risk of a cardiac event starts to increase roughly at the same time as the risks for cancer and bleeding begin to drop. This to me suggests confirmation that aspirin may prevent cardiovascular events early in the course of taking it. Furthermore, given my hypothesis above about aspirin's weeding out those with an early cancer, perhaps its cardiovascular impact is for some reason limited to those with an early cancer or with another reason for aspirin-induced bleeding."

"All-in-all the data do not convince me to start taking aspirin -- I am still at odds with Dr. Agus on that. The selection bias that I described above may very well mean that aspirin's role is not as a cancer prevention, but more likely as a sort of a stress test for those with a subclinical cancer. So we are left again with the the chicken-and-egg question. But isn't that, after all, what makes science exciting?"

http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk....comes-clearer/
gdpawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
Rich66

More on aspirin HERE
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:15 AM   #6
caya

Rich since that article was posted I have been taking the 81 mg. aspirin 3 - 4 X/week, as that study concludes that 2 -5x/week has the best risk reduction for BC survivors, at least one year out.
Do you think we now should take it every day, as per this new study?

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
Rich66

another article with some more info to ponder:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/21/he...risk.html?_r=2

What's painfully missing from the articles, Caya, is discussion of early breast cancer patients post adjuvant therapy.

But..considering what I've seen about the "risks" of taking aspirin in "healthy" patients, I'm guessing those already having had a cancer diagnosis tilt more to the benefit side. Can't say what is right here other than that mom has been taking two baby aspirins daily for close to 2 years with seemingly no problems. Based on what's known now..If she was only fortunate enough to be without recurrence, would likely be doing the same...along with Metformin.
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #8
ElaineM

Wink Re: An aspirin a day keeps cancer at bay?

I once took a low dose asprin a day to dissolve a blood clot in my leg successfully. So, if Asprin can work like a standard blood thinner that might mean that there is less blood going to tumors. Tumors need good blood supplies to function, grow and spread. This makes me wonder if asprin can function similiar to an anti angiogenesis medication like avastin. Interesting.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote