HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
WayTooYoung

TDM1-Are my Side Effects Normal?

Hello Everyone,

I have recently finished my second treatment of TDM1 and am experiencing some symptoms I am wondering are normal. Below is a list of them...

-migraine/headache in left temple (uncomfortable pressure inside head)
-chest pressure
-joint pain (mild)
-heavy and multiple periods (during 1st treatment)
-blood work showed extreme elevation in liver enzymes (one wk/post treatment)
-low white cells and platelets
-shedding(very light but noticeable)

I would appreciate it if anyone can chime in with their TDM1 experiences. Not sure if this drug is as tolerable as I had initially thought.

Nelly
Jul 2010- Mastectomy +12 lymphs (4+)
Oct 2010- Radiation/Begin Herceptin (Her2 was overlooked by my Onco!)
Sep 2011- End of Herceptin
Nov 2011- Recurrence-->Chest Wall, muscle, and possible lymph (ER+, PR-, Her2+++)...WTF!!!???!!!
Feb 2012-Randomized for Clinical Trial
Feb 2012- Begin blind study either TDM1 w/Pertuzumab or TDM1 w/Placebo Pertuzumab
Jan 2013-2nd Recurrence, off TDM1...what next?
Feb 2013-chest wall resection
Feb 2013-Begin Zoladex :(
Apr 2013-Begin Femara
Jul 2013-Oopherectomy + both tubes
Oct 2013-Chest wall recurrence same spot...Dr monitor
Nov 2013-New nodule on chest...restaging...bone/ct clear...continue to monitor
Mar 2014-Surgeon fr/dif hospital confirms lung metasis based on review of CT scan from Nov...Onc recommends Aromasin/Affinitor...
Apr 2014-Start Herceptin+Vinorelbine
Sep 2014-New pain in lower back, MRI confirms metastasis
Oct 2014-SBRT to lungs
Nov 2014-SBRT to lower back
Dec 2014-Restaging confirms two new nodules to lungs and lower spine :(
Jan 2015-Xeloda and Tykerb (good response)
Aug 2015-Xeloda/Tykerb not working...Dr wants to try Taxol/Herceptin combo...problem, Herceptin not covered by OHIP
Sep 2015-Begin Taxol continue Xgeva
Oct 2015-Add Herceptin
Nov 2015-CT stable but MRI shows new mets to spine :(
Jan/Feb 2016-Start Erubulin (Halavan)
May 2016-Progression...Stop Erubulin
June 2016-PMH to explore Clinical Trial options...consideration for Immunotherapy
July 2016-Screening for Trial...Still without treatment, experiencing low appetite, low energy, pain, and rapid wieght loss...cachexia???

You never know how STRONG you really are...until being strong is the only CHOICE you have...
WayTooYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
tricia keegan

Re: TDM1-Are my Side Effects Normal?

I'm sorry to read you're finding this tough to tolerate Nelly, I have no personal experience but hope someone else can help you and just wanted to wish you well on this study.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
chrisy

Hi Nelly,
I was on TDM1 for a long time, and experienced many of the S/E you describe. Low platelets is probably the most common one. Many people (myself included) also have elevated LFT's. I'll comment below by line on my experience:

-migraine/headache in left temple (uncomfortable pressure inside head) - Not exactly, but I did have mild headache/flulike symptoms 2-3 days after infusion.
-chest pressure I did not experience this
-joint pain (mild) - I did have this
-heavy and multiple periods (during 1st treatment) I was post menopausal, so don't know
-blood work showed extreme elevation in liver enzymes (one wk/post treatment) Whoa baby, yes I did. AST was off the chart, with ASL and ASP also elevated.
-low white cells and platelets WBC not so much, but platelets yes
-shedding(very light but noticeable) Well, I didn't NOTICE it

I also had, day 4 of my first infusion, pain at tumor site. I wonder, does the chest pressure seem like it might be that? I'd get that checked out if not.

Overall, in the grand scheme of things, TDM1 is NOT as easy as plain vanilla Herceptin, but is far far more tolerable than traditional chemos. Also to consider, if you are in the Pertuzumab arm there could be additional side effects.

Hang in there!
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
Vicky

Hi Nelly,

I just came off tdm1 after it kept me stable for 10 months.

Headaches- no

chest pressure- yes... mild to begin with, but after awhile it became uncomfortable at some point and had a complete heart/lung work up. For me it was coming from a distressed GI tract. I was put on a proton pump inhibitor (prilosec) and given a round of carafate. The symptoms eased up after that. But definitely mention to your onc!

joint pain- yes, especially the first few days after treatment

Heavy periods, YES- not multiple in my case, just very heavy complete with PMS and cramps

Liver enzymes elevated- yes, but not drastically so...

Low blood counts- yes, again not drastically so, except for my platelets which were close to the cut off for not being able to do chemo, but I was given the go ahead by the study.

I did shed initially- not a lot, but some. But then as treatment went on, my hair became lush and thick and people kept asking if it was a wig!! Ha

Chrisy was right on about the fact that Pertuzumab could also be combining with the tdm1 to give some of the symptoms.

Just keep holding on! tdm1 totally wiped out my liver mets after 3 treatments and shrunk the remaining tumors. They then stayed stable for 10 months. Fingers crossed you will see a similar response!
6-14-11 CT scan after 3 cycles shows NO liver spots, reduced spinal met from 18mm to 13mm and right breast mass from 4.4 to 4.2 cm.
8-12-11 Mastectomy rt. breast.
10-11 scans reflect stable cancer
12-11 MRI reveals area of concern in brain, CT scan reveals 3mm spot on lung. Watch and wait and rescan in a few weeks. Round 13 TDM1 complete.
2-21-12 Scans reveal progression in lungs with 4 new small mets. Officially off tdm1. Start halaven and radiation for single brain met, 1 spot in spine.
3-13 stereotactic radiosurgery for single brain met.
5-31-12 Halaven stopped due to low blood counts. Start tamoxifen and cont. Herceptin 1x3 weeks.
7-11-12- brain mri shows shrinking brain met and no new lesions. Cont. Herceptin and Tamoxifen
10-2-12 Stable tumor markers. Continue Herceptin and Tamoxifen
4-9-13 progression in lymph node under arm and new lung spots. Stop Tamoxifen. Add Xeloda to Herceptin.
6-10-13 Stereotactic radiosurgery to two new brain mets. Stop Xeloda due to lung mets progression. begin Tykerb 7-2-13.
10-29-13 Begin radiation to my lungs and one lymph node under my arm. Stop Tykerb until completion and then recommence.
1-31-14 Progression in lungs. Oophorectomy performed.
2-18-14 Begin Arimidex and continue Herceptin
7-7-15 progression with spots on colon, in pelvic region, and in lungs. Begin Taxotere, Perjeta and Herceptin.
11-15 Switch to weekly Taxol, and continue with Perjeta and Herceptin.
12-23-16 PET scan shows Complete Response with no new spots. Continue on with TPH indefinitely.
3-16-16 Still no evidence of disease, break from Taxol. Continue on with Perjeta and Herceptin.
Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
Cellomomof5

Hi Nelly,

I've been on T-DM1 since May, and will finish my clinical trial of treatments in April.

My experience was that many of the side effects you mentioned lessened over time. My LFTs were so high initially that I had to have my dose knocked down at first, but after a few treatments they stabilized, and I was allowed to re-escalate the dose. They are still high, but have slowly dropped over the months.

My white cells & platelets are low, still. Some nosebleeds in winter, but not too much.

Headaches - only during the first week - better as the months have gone by.

Chest pain - only the first few treatments, then stopped.

Periods - non-issue - they stopped back with Adriamycin before I even started T-DM1.

No shedding. My hair seemed to be growing slowly at first, but it has sped up over the past couple of months.

Joint pain and muscle aches - this has been the most annoying for me, and the side effect that has not lessened over time. I take lots of Advil - particularly during the first week after a treatment.

Still, as Chrisy said, it sure beats regular chemo! I hope things improve for you.
  • 2/16: lumpectomy, axillary node removal
  • path: Stage 3 grade 3 IDC, ER+, PR+, Her2+++, 5/13 nodes
  • 3/10: began 4x AC
  • 5/12: began 17x T-DM1
  • 8/1: 6 weeks rads
  • 9/20: started Tamoxifen
  • 4/12: Last T-DM1 infusion!!!!
Cellomomof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
WayTooYoung

Thank you ladies for sharing your experiences with me. I had my second treatment March 1 and unfortunately, it's taken me much longer to recover. I actually felt feverish and thought I was about to come down with something but somehow I managed to stave it off. However, now I have laryngitis!!! It started with a sore throat a couple days ago and then bam, my voice just cut out. Its been like this for two days now. A dry cough is slowly developing now...I hope it's nothing serious. My family DR is away till Thurs...I'm hoping that I will be better by then.

Wishing you all the best in your treatments,

Luv,

Moi
Jul 2010- Mastectomy +12 lymphs (4+)
Oct 2010- Radiation/Begin Herceptin (Her2 was overlooked by my Onco!)
Sep 2011- End of Herceptin
Nov 2011- Recurrence-->Chest Wall, muscle, and possible lymph (ER+, PR-, Her2+++)...WTF!!!???!!!
Feb 2012-Randomized for Clinical Trial
Feb 2012- Begin blind study either TDM1 w/Pertuzumab or TDM1 w/Placebo Pertuzumab
Jan 2013-2nd Recurrence, off TDM1...what next?
Feb 2013-chest wall resection
Feb 2013-Begin Zoladex :(
Apr 2013-Begin Femara
Jul 2013-Oopherectomy + both tubes
Oct 2013-Chest wall recurrence same spot...Dr monitor
Nov 2013-New nodule on chest...restaging...bone/ct clear...continue to monitor
Mar 2014-Surgeon fr/dif hospital confirms lung metasis based on review of CT scan from Nov...Onc recommends Aromasin/Affinitor...
Apr 2014-Start Herceptin+Vinorelbine
Sep 2014-New pain in lower back, MRI confirms metastasis
Oct 2014-SBRT to lungs
Nov 2014-SBRT to lower back
Dec 2014-Restaging confirms two new nodules to lungs and lower spine :(
Jan 2015-Xeloda and Tykerb (good response)
Aug 2015-Xeloda/Tykerb not working...Dr wants to try Taxol/Herceptin combo...problem, Herceptin not covered by OHIP
Sep 2015-Begin Taxol continue Xgeva
Oct 2015-Add Herceptin
Nov 2015-CT stable but MRI shows new mets to spine :(
Jan/Feb 2016-Start Erubulin (Halavan)
May 2016-Progression...Stop Erubulin
June 2016-PMH to explore Clinical Trial options...consideration for Immunotherapy
July 2016-Screening for Trial...Still without treatment, experiencing low appetite, low energy, pain, and rapid wieght loss...cachexia???

You never know how STRONG you really are...until being strong is the only CHOICE you have...
WayTooYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:06 AM   #7
Pray

Dear Moi, I do believe you are living up to your saying! You are so strong keep up the good fight. I'll be praying for you.
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote