HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
bejuce

When to stop treatment (asking for my dad)

Hi HER-2ers,

I've always come here for my most difficult questions and you've been nothing short of wonderfully supportive. So here comes another set of questions from me:

1. When does a medical team/family realize that there is nothing more to be done and treatment should be stopped? Is the fact that the patient is in a lot of pain and taking morphine enough?? My dad has only had 2 chemo treatments for his advanced bladder cancer (mets to liver, peritonium and colon) and the doctors are not willing to do anything else. They are saying he is in pain, the cancer is widespread, and his abdomen is all dilated. I'm desperate as I live thousands of miles away and can't talk to the doctor in person. I simply don't understand why they would stop after just 2 chemo treatments. Should I push for another scan? They are not even willing to do more imaging on him...

2. How does one determine whether to keep the patient in life support or not? Do patients suffer when they are entubated or on a respirator? How can I convince the medical team to try everything they can to help my dad?

3. When a patient passes away, is there any benefit in collecting some tumor samples for genetic analysis that can benefit the family members later on? I ask because if this were to help me in any way in the future to determine whether there is some genetic feature in my family that I may be passing on to my kids, I would like to know.

Thank you so much. I'm 12 days away from reaching 4 years from diagnosis and it is killing me to see my dad go through this. He was there for me helping me out and I can't stop thinking that I'm failing him if I don't convince the doctors to try more...

Please pray for my dad and family at this difficult time.

Love,

Marcia

Diagnosed on 02/18/09 at 38 with a huge 12x10 cm tumor, after a 6 month delay. Told I was too young and had no risk factors. Found swollen node during breastfeeding.
March-August 09: neo-adjuvant chemo, part of a trial at Stanford (4 DD A/C, 4 Taxotere with daily Tykerb), loading dose of Herceptin
08/12/09 - bye bye boobies (bilateral mastectomy)
08/24/09 - path report shows 100 % success in breast tissue (no cancer there, yay!), 98 % success in lymphatic invasion, and even though 11/13 nodes were still positive, > 95 % of the tumor in them was killed. Hoping for the best!
September-October 09: rads with daily Xeloda
02/25/10 - Cholecystectomy
05/27/10 - Bone scan clear
06/14/10 - CT scan clear, ovarian cyst found
07/27/10 - Done with Herceptin!
02/15/11 - MVA-BN HER-2 vaccine trial
03/15/11 - First CA 15-3: 12.7 and normal, yay!
10/01/11 - Bone scan and CT scan clear, fatty liver found
now on Tamoxifen and Aspirin

bejuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:07 AM   #2
bejuce

Re: When to stop treatment (asking for my dad)

It is too late now... My dad has passed away.

Diagnosed on 02/18/09 at 38 with a huge 12x10 cm tumor, after a 6 month delay. Told I was too young and had no risk factors. Found swollen node during breastfeeding.
March-August 09: neo-adjuvant chemo, part of a trial at Stanford (4 DD A/C, 4 Taxotere with daily Tykerb), loading dose of Herceptin
08/12/09 - bye bye boobies (bilateral mastectomy)
08/24/09 - path report shows 100 % success in breast tissue (no cancer there, yay!), 98 % success in lymphatic invasion, and even though 11/13 nodes were still positive, > 95 % of the tumor in them was killed. Hoping for the best!
September-October 09: rads with daily Xeloda
02/25/10 - Cholecystectomy
05/27/10 - Bone scan clear
06/14/10 - CT scan clear, ovarian cyst found
07/27/10 - Done with Herceptin!
02/15/11 - MVA-BN HER-2 vaccine trial
03/15/11 - First CA 15-3: 12.7 and normal, yay!
10/01/11 - Bone scan and CT scan clear, fatty liver found
now on Tamoxifen and Aspirin

bejuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:32 AM   #3
Lien

Oh Marcia, I'm so sorry.

I was going to write that probably the doctors were right. My cousin died of bladder cancer and as her husband was struggling with colon cancer, she did everything she could to stay alive. It was horrible. She was in excruciating pain that no pain meds would touch. I thought at the time it was a blessing wen she finally passed.

I hope they were able to give your father a relatively pain-free last couple of days and that he was ready to go. I am very sorry though that you weren't there to say goodbye.

As he was there for you when you were going through cancer treatment, I am assuming you were very close. I am sure he knew you were with him in spirit. Love knows no distance or barriers. It is there in your heart. If everything is unsure, that love, that bond you have, makes the pain and suffering more bearable.

I hope you find peace.

Love

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:47 AM   #4
sarah

dear Marcia,
my deepest sympathy for your loss. It is good that he died quickly and didn't linger months in pain.
you were there for him even though you were far away.
grieve but know that there was nothing more you could have done for him.
big hug
sarah
Old 02-07-2013, 01:29 AM   #5
Joanne S

Marcia, I understand how helpless you felt knowing your dad was in so much pain and how much you wanted to help him and ease his suffering. I can only imagine how difficult it's been for you being so far away. My heart goes out to you Marcia. I'm so deeply sorry to hear of your loss. My heart, thoughts and prayers are with you. Hugs, Joanne
Attached Images

Joanne S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:37 AM   #6
rhondalea

Please accept my condolences for the loss of your father. It is clear that you loved him dearly. I'm so sorry.
rhondalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:14 AM   #7
ammebarb

Oh Marcia, I'm so very sorry for your loss. Be assured that your Dad knew your love for him. I'm wishing you peace and comfort in the coming days and weeks.
Barb A.
ammebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:53 AM   #8
NEDenise

Marcia,
I am so very sorry for your loss. It was clear in your post just how much you love your Dad. If I could read it in just a few words, there can't be any doubt that he felt it. He is at peace. My prayer is that you and your family will grieve your loss and soon find peace in remembering all the joys and laughter you've shared with your Dad over the years.
I'm so sorry for the pain you're feeling today
Denise
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:57 AM   #9
JennyB

Marcia,
So very sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you and your family for the difficult days ahead.

Jenny x
Clear margins but lymphovasculer invasion
Stage 3a Grade 3
Fec 100 x 3 Jan '11 Taxotere X 3 and Herceptin X 1yr
Staging scans - CT brain & body and bone - May '11 - NED!!
Start Femara - in chemo induced menapause
25 Rads June '11
Dec '11 Menstruation resumed - zoladex inj monthly and Tamoxifen
Feb '12 Back on Femera and Zoladex
March '12 CT brain & body & bone scan all clear
Zometa x2/yearly
April '12 - Oopherectomy

Praying the Herceptin is as good as its hype!!
JennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #10
Hopeful

Marcia, I am very sorry to hear of your loss. You and your family are in my thoughts.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #11
StephN

With sadness I read your posts. I hope you were able to speak to your father in his last hours. It seems he was becoming too weak to handle more treatment.

My friend's dad also passed on Tuesday, and he was also a wonderful man who contributed to his community.

I imagine you are boarding a plane to go attend your father's end of life wishes/traditions. My you be blessed with peace as you walk the next mile.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #12
snolan

Sorry for your loss this stupid disease has so many ways of making our lives tough. Just know that your dad is in a better place and no longer is in any pain.
Tamox.
25 radiation tx
Removal of expander on L due to infection. Tried to save it had 3 bouts of antibiotics and went to see plastic surgeon 2-3x wk to get drained. Saving it was my idea not his. But lost it anyway.
Reconstruction set for December 21st,2011
Finished chemo 12/2010
Finished Herceptin 8/26/11
Reconstruction 12/21/11
Expanders exchanged for silicon 3/19/12
Nipple reconstruction 5/18/12
Nipple tatooing- 7/9/12- All done yay!
11/22/12-Went back to get scar tissue stretched to even the outside of breast, didn't work due to it being radiated skin.
snolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #13
Ellie F

Oh Marcia
I have only just read your post and could feel your desperation . I am so sad to hear of your dads passing but grateful that he is no longer experiencing pain and suffering.
My deepest condolences to you and your family.
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #14
adelay

Hugs and prayers headed your way~

DX April 2009 age 40
IDC Triple Positive
7 of 14 nodes positive
Lumpectomy May 2009
Port May 2009
AC done in Sept 2009
T done Dec. 2009
Herceptin (should finish Oct. 2010)
Mastectomy January 2010
Radiaition x 33 done April 2010
Tamoxafin for five years
Herceptin done!
Still clear May 2011
3 years out May 2012, all good!
adelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:27 PM   #15
Pray

Gods blessings and prayers for your family. Peace my friend.
Her2 +3
4/12 nodes
6 rounds TCH
Herceptin 12 months 3weeks
Rad. 30 tx
Tamoxifin 6 months stopped
Arimedex stopped 9/12 (side effects)
Aromasin 10/12
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:05 AM   #16
Jackie07

Marcia,

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Regarding the genetic links - you still can find out by getting tested yourself. However, it might not be necessary as there are already two (yours and your Dad's) types of cancers that fall into the Lynch Syndrome (similar to HNPCC) category:

J Natl Cancer Inst. 2013 Feb 5. [Epub ahead of print]
Risks of Colorectal and Other Cancers After Endometrial Cancer for Women With Lynch Syndrome.

Win AK, Lindor NM, Winship I, Tucker KM, Buchanan DD, Young JP, Rosty C, Leggett B, Giles GG, Goldblatt J, Macrae FA, Parry S, Kalady MF, Baron JA, Ahnen DJ, Marchand LL, Gallinger S, Haile RW, Newcomb PA, Hopper JL, Jenkins MA.
Source

Affiliations of authors: Centre for Molecular, Environmental, Genetic and Analytic Epidemiology (AKW, JLH, MAJ) and Department of Medicine (IW), The University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia; Department of Health Science Research, Mayo Clinic Arizona, Scottsdale, AZ (NML); Genetic Medicine (IW) and Colorectal Medicine and Genetics (FAM), The Royal Melbourne Hospital, Parkville, Victoria, Australia; Hereditary Cancer Clinic, Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick, New South Wales, Australia (KMT); Cancer and Population Studies Group (DDB, JPY, CR) and Conjoint Gastroenterology Laboratory, Pathology Queensland, Clinical Research Centre of Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital Research Foundation (BL), Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Herston, Queensland, Australia; Department of Molecular and Cellular Pathology (CR) and School of Medicine (BL), University of Queensland, Herston, Queensland, Australia; Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, The Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital, Brisbane, Australia (BL); Cancer Epidemiology Centre, Cancer Council Victoria, Carlton, Victoria, Australia (GGG); Genetic Services of Western Australia and School of Paediatrics and Child Health, University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia (JG); New Zealand Familial Gastrointestinal Cancer Registry, Auckland City Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand (SP); Department of Gastroenterology, Middlemore Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand (SP); Department of Colorectal Surgery, Digestive Disease Institute, and Cancer Biology Department, Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH (MFK); Department of Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC (JAB); Denver VA Medical Center, School of Medicine, University of Colorado, Denver, CO (DJA); University of Hawaii Cancer Center, Honolulu, HI (LLM); Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada (SG); Cancer Care Ontario, Toronto, Ontario, Canada (SG); Department of Preventive Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA (RWH); Cancer Prevention Program, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA (PAN).

Abstract

Background: Lynch syndrome is an autosomal dominantly inherited disorder caused by germline mutations in DNA mismatch repair (MMR) genes. Previous studies have shown that MMR gene mutation carriers are at increased risk of colorectal, endometrial, and several other cancers following an initial diagnosis of colorectal cancer. We estimated cancer risks following an endometrial cancer diagnosis for women carrying MMR gene mutations.

Methods: We obtained data from the Colon Cancer Family Registry for a cohort of 127 women who had a diagnosis of endometrial cancer and who carried a mutation in one of four MMR genes (30 carried a mutation in MLH1, 72 in MSH2, 22 in MSH6, and 3 in PMS2). We used the Kaplan-Meier method to estimate 10- and 20-year cumulative risks for each cancer. We estimated the age-, country-, and calendar period-specific standardized incidence ratios (SIRs) for each cancer, compared with the general population.

Results: Following endometrial cancer, women carrying MMR gene mutations had the following 20-year risks of other cancer cancers: colorectal cancer (48%, 95% confidence interval [CI] = 35% to 62%); cancer of the kidney, renal pelvis, or ureter (11%, 95% CI = 3% to 20%); urinary bladder cancer (9%, 95% CI = 2% to 17%); and breast cancer (11%, 95% CI = 4% to 19%). Compared with the general population, these women were at statistically significantly elevated risks of colorectal cancer (SIR = 39.9, 95% CI = 27.2 to 58.3), cancer of the kidney, renal pelvis, or ureter (SIR = 28.3, 95% CI = 11.9 to 48.6), urinary bladder cancer (SIR = 24.3, 95% CI = 8.56 to 42.9), and breast cancer (SIR = 2.51, 95% CI = 1.17 to 4.14).

Conclusions: Women with Lynch syndrome who are diagnosed with endometrial cancer have increased risks of several cancers, including breast cancer.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 02-08-2013 at 03:21 AM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:47 AM   #17
Jackie07

Adv Cancer Res. 2012;113:121-66. doi: 10.1016/B978-0-12-394280-7.00004-X.
Lynch or not Lynch? Is that always a question?

Colas C, Coulet F, Svrcek M, Collura A, Fléjou JF, Duval A, Hamelin R.
Source

INSERM, UMRS 938, Centre de Recherche Saint-Antoine, Equipe Instabilité des Microsatellites et Cancers, Paris, France.

Abstract

The familial cancer syndrome referred to as Lynch I and II was renamed hereditary nonpolyposis colorectal cancer (HNPCC) only to revert later to Lynch syndrome (LS).

LS is the most frequent human predisposition for the development of colorectal cancer (CRC), and probably also for endometrial and gastric cancers, although it has yet to acquire a consensus name. Its estimated prevalence ranges widely from 2% to 7% of all CRCs due to the fact that tumors from patients with LS are difficult to recognize at both the clinical and molecular level.

This review is based on two assumptions. First, all LS patients inherit a predisposition to develop CRC (without polyposis) and/or other tumors from the Lynch spectrum. Second, all LS patients have a germline defect in one of the DNA mismatch repair (MMR) genes. When a somatic second hit inactivates the relevant MMR gene, the consequence is instability of DNA repeat sequences such as microsatellites and the tumors are referred to as having the microsatellite instability (MSI) phenotype.

However, some of the inherited predisposition to develop CRC without concurrent polyposis, termed HNPCC, is found in non-LS patients, while not all MSI tumors are from LS cases. LS tumors are therefore at the junction of inherited and MSI cases.

We describe here the defining characteristics of LS tumors that differentiate them from inherited non-MSI tumors and from non-inherited MSI tumors.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote