HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-16-2009, 08:27 PM   #1
lizm100

New Proposed Changes to Mammogram Guidelines

Task Force Recommends Drastic Changes to Mammography Guidelines

Page last modified on: November 16, 2009
"The recommendation to change screening is a huge step backwards," says Dr. Marisa Weiss.

To the Breastcancer.org community:
The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recently recommended dramatic changes to current breast cancer screening guidelines. Breastcancer.org is strongly opposed to these recommendations.
The proposed new guidelines recommend starting regular screening mammograms at age 50, rather than at age 40 as current guidelines recommend. They recommend screening before age 50 only for women with a much-higher-than-average risk of breast cancer. The proposed new guidelines also call for mammograms to be done every other year instead of every year, as recommended by current guidelines.
The proposed new guidelines are based on research that looks at the effect of breast cancer screening on society from a public health perspective. This means the researchers were looking at how changing breast cancer screening guidelines would affect the overall public, rather than individual women. In proposing the changes, the task force members said that starting mammograms later in life and doing mammograms less often would save a large amount of money. It also means that about 3% more women would die from breast cancer each year. The task force members felt that the amount of money saved (from fewer mammograms and side effects of extra biopsies and treatment) was greater than the value of more lives saved (3% fewer women surviving breast cancer).
At Breastcancer.org, we are deeply troubled by both the analysis that led to these proposed guideline changes and the effect these proposed changes would have on the health and lives of women. Our specific concerns:
  • The analysis was based on older mammography techniques, meaning the researchers mostly looked at results from film mammograms instead of digital mammograms.
  • The analysis was based on some inaccurate assumptions about optimal treatment after breast cancer is diagnosed. For example, it assumed that women diagnosed with hormone-receptor-positive, early-stage breast cancer would receive and benefit from hormonal therapy but not chemotherapy, even though we know that many of these women do receive and benefit from chemotherapy after surgery. Inaccurate assumptions like this may have caused the researchers to underestimate the number of lives that would be lost should the proposed changes in screening be adopted.
  • The analysis did not adequately consider the combined benefit of early detection (with current screening guidelines) and new treatments that have resulted in steadily improving survival rates in recent years. Screening cannot be looked at in isolation as a snapshot. Screening happens as we continue to improve both diagnosis and treatment. But we can’t treat what isn’t diagnosed.
  • The proposed guideline changes would mean that many breast cancers would be diagnosed at a later stage, making it harder to become cancer-free. Later-stage diagnoses result in more women with metastatic disease (that has spread to other parts of the body) and more women with large or multiple cancers requiring mastectomy (too late for breast-conserving treatments).
  • The proposed guideline changes would mean that younger women would be diagnosed later. Breast cancer in younger women tends to be more aggressive, so early diagnosis and treatment is more critical for them. It is the lives and futures of younger women that would be lost if the proposed changes are adopted.
Expressed as nameless, faceless numbers, the 3% decrease in breast cancer survival might seem like an acceptable trade-off when compared to the economic benefits of changing breast cancer screening policies. But breast cancer affects a very large number of women, so 3% of that number is not insignificant. The reality is that more women -- mothers, daughters, sisters, grandmothers, and aunts -- will die each year from breast cancer, which is neither reasonable nor acceptable.
We at Breastcancer.org encourage medical professionals and everyone affected in any way by breast cancer to raise their voices against these surprising and dramatic proposed changes in the guidelines for breast cancer screening. Our belief is that lives should be saved, not lost, and our commitment to you is that we will continue to strongly advocate for policies that support this fundamental mission.
Marisa C. Weiss, M.D.
President and Founder, Breastcancer.org
Director of Breast Radiation Oncology, Director of Breast Health Outreach
Lankenau Hospital
Maxine Jochelson, M.D.
Director of Radiology
Evelyn H. Lauder Breast Center
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
Professional Advisory Board, Breastcancer.org
Emily F. Conant, M.D.
Professor of Radiology, Chief of Breast Imaging
Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
Professional Advisory Board, Breastcancer.org
lizm100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
Joe
Webmaster

Re: New Proposed Changes to Mammogram Guidelines

Is there anything on the Young Suirvivors Board about this?

Regards
Joe

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:13 PM   #3
Jackie07

New Mammography Guidelines for Women

Women in Their 40s Should Discuss Risks, Benefits With Doctors, Says Physicians Group
By Miranda Hitti
WebMD Health News
Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD

April 2, 2007 -- The American College of Physicians today issued new mammography guidelines for breast cancer screening for women in their 40s.
The guidelines boil down to this: Women in their 40s should work with their doctors to gauge their personal breast cancer risk and to decide whether to get mammography to screen for breast cancer.
If a woman in her 40s decides not to get a screening mammogram, she and her doctor should revisit that decision every one to two years, states the American College of Physicians (ACP).
In short, the ACP isn't making a one-size-fits-all recommendation. Instead, the ACP says the decision should be tailored to each individual woman in her 40s.
"No simple recommendation applies to all women in their 40s," states an editorial published with the guidelines in the Annals of Internal Medicine.
The guidelines only apply to routine screening mammograms, not diagnostic mammograms taken of specific breast lumps or other breast findings.
Mammogram Studies

A team of experts reviewed 125 mammography studies for the ACP. They included Katrina Armstrong, MD, MSCE, of the University of Pennsylvania.
"Screening mammography probably reduces breast cancer mortality in women aged 40 to 49 years modestly," write Armstrong and colleagues.
They note that many women in their 40s will choose mammography for that potential reduction in breast cancer death.
However, Armstrong's team notes that screening mammograms likely save more lives in women aged 50 and older, since breast cancer becomes more common with age.
In addition, mammograms aren't perfect. They may miss a tumor or flag a benign breast lump, leading to more tests and anxiety.
Mammograms also deliver a low dose of radiation, and it's not clear what the long-term consequences of that may be over a lifetime, note Armstrong and colleagues.
Many women find the mammography procedure uncomfortable. But in the reviewed studies, few women said mammography pain would stop them from getting a mammogram.
Personal Decision

Women's breast cancer risk depends on age, family history, and many other risk factors.
A woman in her 40s should gauge those risk factors with her doctor and decide how she feels about getting mammography to screen for breast cancer, notes the ACP.
"Because of the variation in benefits and harms associated with screening mammography, we recommend tailoring the decision to screen women on the basis of women's concerns about mammography and breast cancer, as well as their risk for breast cancer," write Armstrong and colleagues.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:36 PM   #4
StephN

I, for one, was horrified, that this is just a sneak peek at things to come. They are preparing for a national health plan that will give much less access to screenings and hurt mostly the rising number of younger breast cancer patients.

Defintely a step backward, IMHO. Especially since we now have digital mammograms which have much less radiation exposure.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:11 PM   #5
Jackie07

"Women in their 40s should work with their doctors to gauge their personal breast cancer risk and to decide whether to get mammography to screen for breast cancer."

Are you kidding me?

My first breast cancer was felt 30 hours before the 'routine' mammogram. I was 43, with no family history of breast cancer.

My recurrence was 'not' found in any of the following mammograms because the cancer was deemed 'scar tissues'. Again, it was caused by 'human error' - the doctor who read the x-ray made the false interpretation ('assumption'?) - and not the fault of mammogram itself.

Mammogram saves lives. It needs to be improved instead of dropped for women between 40 and 50 which, by the way, is one of the peak age for breast cancer incidents. It is not right to place the responsibility on the women to gauge their own risk factors and 'work with' their doctors to get the test.

Can't help but begin to wonder if there's an 'agenda' behind this new guideline since more women (and men) are going to be covered under the health care reform...

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 11-26-2009 at 07:12 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:12 PM   #6
Sandra in GA

No self breast exams; mammograms only for the 50 and over. Only those "at risk" are to be tested before age 50. Maybe they have not read that 85% of women who are diagnosed with breast cancer have NO family history of this disease. (That was in some of the information I was given at Mayo Clinic at the time of my diagnosis.) Women who have mothers, grandmothers, or aunts with BC are in the minority. Only 15% have family history. Decreasing the mammograms to only 15% of the women between 40 -49 would decrease the cost, but at what cost?

I am in the majority of people diagnosed with breast cancer by having NO FAMILY HISTORY. Why isn't this fact better publicized? Is it because it would cost too much for more women to be more diligent about mammograms?

Mammograms are not perfect. Breast MRIs are much more reliable, but they are very expensive and not readily available. They should be pushing for more reliable mammogams or other tests instead of pushing to eliminate the test that is the standard now.
Chemo: A/C; Taxol/Herceptin/Tykerb; phase II study at Mayo adding Tykerb for early stage
Radiation: 25 rads
Vaccine: Walter Reed GP2/AE37 vaccine study ~ last booster 9/17/2012
Sandra in GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:52 AM   #7
lizm100

I have no history of breast cancer and I am the youngest of 6 girls. If it wasn't for digital mammography, my cancer would have not been caught at the age of 38 at a very early stage. I had no lump but a thickening that only I felt. Due to my being persistent (after 2 visits) my doctor finally ordered a mammogram. At worst case with the present guidelines, I would of had to wait till the age of 40 for a mammogram not 50! I don't want to imagine what would have happened to her2+++ cancer 12 years later.
lizm100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:04 AM   #8
RhondaH

Exclamation Re: New Proposed Changes to Mammogram Guidelines

Joe,

Here is a link to the discussion on Young Survival.

http://www.youngsurvival.org/bulletin-board/

Dx 2/1/05, Stage 1, 0 nodes, Grade 3, ER/PR-, HER2+ (3.16 Fish)
2/7/05, Partial Mastectomy
5/18/05 Finished 6 rounds of dose dense TEC (Taxotere, Epirubicin and Cytoxan)
8/1/05 Finished 33 rads
8/18/05 Started Herceptin, every 3 weeks for a year (last one 8/10/06)

2/1/13...8 year Cancerversary and I am "perfect" (at least where cancer is concerned;)

" And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:13 AM   #9
RhondaH

Angry Re: New Proposed Changes to Mammogram Guidelines

I'm STUNNED!!!! I was 40 when I was diagnosed by my 1st mammogram (neither surgeon or I could feel it), which was HER2+. Listening to the radio this AM, Dr. Susan Love is in FAVOR of the new guidelines...

Dx 2/1/05, Stage 1, 0 nodes, Grade 3, ER/PR-, HER2+ (3.16 Fish)
2/7/05, Partial Mastectomy
5/18/05 Finished 6 rounds of dose dense TEC (Taxotere, Epirubicin and Cytoxan)
8/1/05 Finished 33 rads
8/18/05 Started Herceptin, every 3 weeks for a year (last one 8/10/06)

2/1/13...8 year Cancerversary and I am "perfect" (at least where cancer is concerned;)

" And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:19 AM   #10
suzan w

Terrible news...I wonder how much the insurance companies paid for this study?? My tumor was found in a mammogram, and all doctors agreed that Invasive Lobular Carcinoma is rarely found in mammograms because of the nature of the "beast"...ILC does not usually form a tumor but spreads single cell through the bloodstream. I am alive today thanks to a mammogram. No family history either, yet, after 4 years of thinking BRCA tests would be a good idea, and denial from WA Blue Cross, finally got the BRCA approved in NM and...it was positive...Go Figure. This new study is indeed a scary view inito the future of Women's Health (and Men's too because the next study will probably show that men don't even get BC). Fed Up!!! xo Suzan
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:20 AM   #11
Laurel

Last February or March, soon after the new administration entered office, this suggestion to reduce the frequency of mammograms, and to raise the age threshold was floated. I recall seeing it disseminated via the sycophant media repeatedly over a period of approximately a month. At the time I wondered just how stupid the government thinks we are? I saw this coming months ago. It is a harbinger of what is to come under ObamaCare. God help us all.....

Do not have daughters.....

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:21 AM   #12
nitewind

I couldn't believe it when I read this....
"
A government task force said Monday that most women don't need mammograms in their 40s and should get one every two years starting at 50 — a stunning reversal and a break with the American Cancer Society's long-standing position. What's more, the panel said breast self-exams do no good, and women shouldn't be taught to do them."
Why are we taking backward steps?
2 cm/ 0 nodes
Lumpectomy rt breast on 7/26/06
ER/PR- / Her2+++
A/C x 4
finished taxotere 2/07
finished 33 rads
Herceptin finished 12/07/07 Yippee!
nitewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:26 AM   #13
duga35

Angry Re: New Proposed Changes to Mammogram Guidelines

This is #@#!!####!

I know that we aren't supposed to talk about politics here, but to me this is pretty clear cut on the things that the present administration is trying to do to us.

Cleveland Clinic and MD Anderson both told me to make damn sure that my daughter starts yearly mammograms @ age 20 because when a father has MBC that throws up a huge flag for daughters.

I believe that you'll start seeing them say that stage IV patients are terminal so why waste so much money much on them.

Good God I pray that I'm wrong but I think this is just the beginning.

I'm sorry and forgive me, but this has made me freaking mad as hell
Tumor Stage pt1b NO MO
DCIS Tumor size 1.5 x 1.x .6cm
Infiltration tumor size .25X.17 cm
Bloom-Richardson Grade 3(score 8)
Nuclear Grade 3 with comedo necrosis
Estrogen+/Progestrone+/HER-2/Neu +++
FISH ratio 4.31
Lymph node removal scheduled 1/07/08
17 nodes tested and all negative 1/08/08
Started Tamoxifin 1/29/08
Oncotype DX score 52 (off the charts, according to my onc!!!)
Starting TCH 3/14/08
BRCA I Positive BRCA II Negative
Finished TC 6/27/08 continue Herceptin
8/1/08 Herceptin stopped due to low Muga score
Mastectomy on left breast 11/10/08
duga35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:28 AM   #14
Jaimieh

I think this new guideline is just a load of crap. I guess by the new guideline I would have never known that the lump in my breast was there because you are not supposed to do your SBE. You know young women (I was 32 at diag.) do not get breast cancer (dripping with sarcasm). I hope the people who came up with it NEVER have someone in their family diagnosed earlier than 50. I have avoided the news because it makes my blood boil.
no angiolympathic invasion

Bi-Lat. Mast. 1/8/09
Exchange scheduled for 6/17/09
Lost implants due to unknown reason :(

Hip Flap 1/26/2010 in NOLA :) LOVE EM'

TCH x6 (6 done and I am hoping to never do it again )

Well so much for never...
Local recurrence May 25,2014 is left over breast tissue.
April 2 , 2014 lumpectomy
April 28, 2014- June 9, 2014 start AC x 4
Taxol x12
Perjeta x 6
Herceptin x 18
And 33 rads just for fun. NOT!!!
Jaimieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:46 AM   #15
Faith in Him

Can't believe it either. I have no family history and was 37 at dx. What are they thinking?
03/07 CT & Bone scan - Clear
AC x 4, Taxol x 4, Added Herceptin
Radiation until 09/07
Herceptin every 3 weeks until 06/08
01/10/08 local recurrence -IBC
01/28/08 CT & Brain MRI - clear
02/08 - Navelbine & Herceptin
05/08 -MRM
05/08 - Gemzar & Herceptin - didn't work
09/08 - Hyperthermia rads
03/09 - Tykerb/Xeloda
05/10 - Tram flap to fix wound
Faith in Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #16
Patb

What can we do???? Are they crazy? My breast
cancer was growing so fast, I was just lucky I
never missed a yearly mammogram. Who are
these people?
patb

Diagnosed June, 06, Stage I, Grade3, ER+PR- Her2positive, No Nodes. A/C X 4. Radiation 33 with boost, Herceptin every two weeks until Nov.
07, Arimedex for 5 years. Mugas and Echo and chest xRay. Bone scan of whole Body, and Back of Brain and spine MRI.
CT scan of Lungs every six months
due to two small places. December
2009, bone scan due to bone pain.
Follow up test in 2010.
Patb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:38 PM   #17
flynny

Hi Joe, I tried sending this last night on my blackberry, but it timed me out (so frustrating). I am a young survivor! As you can see by my signature below I was dx at 34 (should have been 33). My story as some of the women and men have heard me talk about goes like this... My mother was dx at 54 and there was NO FAMILY HISTORY of BC, so they said I should NOT start having mammo's until 40. I was 31 when I was told this and just 2 years later I found my lump. When I say it popped out over night, it did. However,when I went to see my PCP (who was about my age) said "I think its a cyst" and knowing my mother had BC she did NO FURTHER tests!!! Hold on it gets better....My mother was dx about 2 mos later w/ a 5 cm brain tumor (the radiologist mis-diagnosed her 2 cm brain tumor just 5 mos prior - another story). After focusing my time toward my mother and taking her to all of her appointments, it was now Nov '07 and I found my bras to be stained. So I made an appt. w/my OB-GYN (but her colleague saw me instead). I'm in her office explaining my insane life I was living and that my mother's cancer had mets and she would most likely die within a short period of time. Well after examining me and seeing that the discharge coming out of my right breast she said "I think you have fibrocystic breast change and that I should take 400 IU Vit E 2 x/day. I still have the post-it note she wrote on. I could go on and on. My mother had very dense breasts and I only wish I knew what that meant years ago. If she only had an ultrasound they would have seen it earlier. She had seen her OB-GYN just a couple of months prior to her finding her nipple indented. This whole thing makes me so sad, mad and disappointed in a number of doctors. We are not a statistic. WE ARE INDIVIDUALS!!! I also want to share with you my story that I got to share with my local magazine. Go to www.parentingnh.com. They messed up my staging (which I clarified with the reporter). I also joined our local YSC Manchester, NH group. It is important to let young women know that this could happen to them!

Jan '07 felt lump (PCP "thought" it was a cyst)
Nov '07 "bloody nipple discharge" (OB-GYN "thought" I had fibrocystic breasts and told me to take 400 IU's of Vitamin E)
Note: Mother was dx w/BC in 2004 (ER/PR+ & HER2+) & mets to brain April 2007 (she passed away June 17, 2008)
2/1/08: Biopsy Dx: DCIS (age 34)
2/22/08: Surgery R-side Mast
2/28/08: 1st Path Rpt Dx: IDC 1.8cm tumor & DCIS 2.1cm
2nd Path Rep DFCI - IDC (0.9cm) & DCIS (2.1cm)
Stage 1b/Gr 3; ER+(5%), PR+(2%), HER-2+++
5/5 nodes NEG; Clear Margins
Chemo: AC 4 rnds (1st one 3/31/08) finished 6/2/08
TH (Taxol/Hercepin) 12 weeks (1st one 6/25/08) finished 9/8/08
Herceptin 9 mos (every 3 weeks) finished 6/8/09
BRCA 1/2 NEG
Bio: Age 39, married to James 1999, 2 boys 12 & 10 yo
flynny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:53 PM   #18
ElaineM

Wink Re: New Proposed Changes to Mammogram Guidelines

Are we starting some kind of group petition to send somewhere? I will sign.
I know several women under 40 in addition to some people on this board who were diagnosed with breast cancer.
I heard one comment on the news this morning about mammograms not being able to detect things under 1 cm and it could take years for tumors to grow to 1 cm.
Are women supposed to sit around and wait a few years for tumors to grow until they get to 1 cm, so they can be tested?
The comment also claimed that women can't find things smaller than 1 cm. Then how come I correctly found malignant tumors close to the surface of my breast skin that were only 1 or 2 mm? My fabulous dermatologist removed them after my oncologist refused to do anything about them. The pathology reports all came back positive for breast cancer.
The point should be to get rid of problems while they are still small if possible.
If mammograms can't detect small problems then researchers need to develop some kind of better testing method that can detect small problems instead of leaving thousands of women without methods of detecting breast cancer.
I lost respect for Dr. Susan Love.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:01 PM   #19
margiermc

Go to www.ahrq.gov/clinic/

Then go to Clinical Information and click, Preventive Services
The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force, aka USPSTF
www.ahrq.gov/clinic/prevenix.htm
click contact us - www.ahrq.gov/info/customer.htm
go to Frequently Asked Questions -
http://info.ahrq.gov/cgi-bin/ahrq.cf...er/std_alp.php

See questions 1-11 and read answers

This is all under the government branch of the Federal Agencies and Commissions - www.hhs.gov - The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

The Sec. of this department Kathleen Sebelius made an announcement that this is an independent panel of doctors, scientist and researchers and not under any gov't dept.,
I found it all under her department -

This is not a political issue, but there is some problems with a panel that decides new guidelines and is selected under a government department.
margiermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:32 PM   #20
Laurel

What can we do? Contact your congressmen. Email the White House (not that they will give a damn, but do it anyway) and then...VOTE in the next election.

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote