HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 07-19-2007, 06:35 PM   #1
Beckie

Tykerb rash

I've been on Tykerb for nearly 3 weeks now, and have had no problem with diarrhea at all. I do have a rash though. Just wanted to check it out with you. I got it on my forearms and calves just over a week ago when I was working outside on an overcast day. I figured it was sun sensitivity and have stayed out of the sun since. Now I am broken out on my stomach and behind, places that have not seen the light of day. This is a good thing, right? My face is still clear, though. Thanks for your input. God bless you all!

Beckie
6/06 - Stage 4, Her2+++, er/pr-
Mets to lungs(largest 3 cm), liver (largest 5.5 cm), and bones
Began taxotere, herceptin, & aredia
7/06 - radiation to lower spine & left shoulder for pain
8/06 - everything smaller
12/06 - stopped taxotere (toe infections)
5/07 - bone mets advancing
6/07 - add navelbine to herceptin & aredia
6/07 - discovered brain mets (3 in cerebellum, largest 2 cm.)
7/07 - WBR, change to Tykerb/Xeloda
9/07 - targeted radiation
10/08 - started navelbine/herceptin
2/09 - brain mets - targeted radiation
5/09 - mets in liver progressing, changed to Ixempra
7/09 - mets in liver still going, to the brain again, on gemzar now
9/09 - gemzar failed, started Doxil today

I know Who holds the future, and I know He holds my hand.
Beckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:33 PM   #2
Carolyns

Hi Beckie -

It sounds good that you are tolerating the Tykerb well. Rash is okay. I hear that it is a side effect of Tykerb although I did not get one. That said, my tumor markers are down and the last PET (a week ago) after two months on Tykerb looks good. If I were you I would show the rash to my doctor at the next appointment anyway.

Take care,

Carolyn
Carolyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:40 AM   #3
Shell

My doctor was very excited when I got the rash, also on my buttocks, etc. I didn't have the heard to tell him that when my husband got it, it was probably due to our hottub not being changed after we let jr high girls in it!!

The rash is good...

Kind regards,

init diag 3/17/03-stage IIIC
ER-/PR-/HER2+++
CET x4 neo-adjuvant
lump & SNB 8/03
CET x2
radiation and herceptin/navelbine 11-03-1/04
1st reoccur to lymph nodes 8/04
complete axillary dissection 12/04
herceptin/taxotere til progression (lungs) 3/05
xeloda w/out lapatinib trial 6/05
lapatinib/tykerb added 4/06
ended trial 8/06 due to progression
doxil / avastin 11/06-12/06 - wasn't working
navelbine/herceptin/avastin 12/06/3/07 - progression
gemzar/carboplatin/tykerb 4/07
mri shows extensive mets to bone in pelvic area 6/07
switched to abraxane (3 on/1 off) + tykerb 6/07
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:52 PM   #4
Lolly

Beckie, after a week or so on Tykerb I had "the rash" on my face & neck, right shoulder and upper arm, across my upper back and a few spots on my left upper arm. Maybe a few spots on my stomach, can't remember for sure. It started clearing up by the 5th or 6th week, and was never painful or itchy, just a bit uncomfortable.
I do know some from here didn't have the rash and are having a good response to Tykerb anyway, so don't worry if it doesn't get "worse"!

<3 Lolly
Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.

Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:58 AM   #5
awjkej

Question

Hi Ladies,

I haven't posted here in awhile, but someone on breastcancer.org told me that there was a good tykerb/xeloda thread here :-).

I am in my first round of tykerb/xeloda. 3300mg xeloda, 1250mg tykerb. 2 weeks on, 1 week off. I am on my week off of xeloda right now.

I have a rash on my forearms and my chest that itches constatly. I also have, on my face, a rash which is centered on my nose and around my mouth. It is annoying, painful, itchy. The rest of the side effects are there but nothing I can't handle. The rash on my face is quite ugly, but I could deal with it if it didn't hurt so much. I am using the Udderly Smooth Udder cream and am also taking benedryl to help with the itching/pain. This seems to be working alittle bit.

I just spoke with my oncologist and he wants me to be off of tykerb for a few days til I see him this Thursday. He said that we would discuss what to do next at that time.

I have a pretty high tolerance for pain, and don't have pity parties as a rule but for some reason this is overwhelming for me ... ugh! Right now I don't know whether to stick it out for awhile, and see if it clears up, or if I need to be looking at different options.

Thanks for listening,

Anne

Diagnosed Jan 2003
Bilateral Mastectomy (right prophylatic) Feb 2003
No reconstruction and no prosthesis - what you see is what you get :-)
6 rounds A/C ending August 2003
Tamoxifen til October 2004
Bone mets diagnosed October 2004
Herceptin (weekly) & Zometa (monthly) December 2004 - June 2007
Arimidex, Faslodex
Oophorectomy October 2005
Rads to left hip November 2005 - December 2005
Zometa quarterly now January 2007
Taxotere December 2005- July 2006
Tykerb (1250 mg) and Xeloda (3300mg) July 2007
awjkej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:42 PM   #6
Esther

Anne:

My onc gave me a prescription lotion to put on the rash and it helped alot to clear it up and take care of the itching.

Scratching just seems to make it worse. I also used hydrocortizone ointment and it seemed to help the itching.

My rash cleared up after about 6 weeks or so and has not come back.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:03 PM   #7
awjkej

Hi Esther,

Thanks! Do you know what the prescription lotion is called??? I stay away from the scratching as you said it only irritates it.

Anne

Diagnosed Jan 2003
Arimidex, Faslodex
Old 08-07-2007, 01:31 AM   #8
Esther

Anne:

The prescription my onc gave me was for Clindamycin Phosphate Lotion, Topical suspension USP 1%.

That and hydrocortizone cream I got at Rite-Aid for the itching did the trick.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 05:15 AM   #9
eric

In case anyone doesn't already know it, the rash is an EXCELLENT sign that the Tykerb will work well for you. Happy itching!
Eric
eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 06:18 AM   #10
Sandy in Silicon Valley

Newbie here: Have been on Tykerb continuously for 6 weeks. Slight rash started around Week 2, but comes & goes - mostly a sprinkle of small whiteheads on my chin, some bumps on my chest. But the ITCHING (without rash!) is what's really getting to me - especially my scalp. I use iced gel packs, tied against the top of my head with a scarf, when it gets really bad. Have an Rx for Regenecare (aloe, lidocaine & collagen gel) that works well on chest, but is difficult to spread on scalp. Also tried a natural products salve, but it worked less well. Am going to get a colloidal oatmeal lotion (I think Aveeno makes one) to try. Scalp itching is the biggie discomfort.

"The majority of people are not only afraid of holding a wrong opinion, they are afraid of holding an opinion alone." Kierkegaard
Sandy in Silicon Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:21 AM   #11
Joy

sandy-me too

I'm glad you shared cause I'm having similar stuff. And have been on it for about 10 weeks. I just try to think that it is still being aggressive, but today and yesterday the itcing is driving me a little crazy and I have had success with aveeno hydrocortisone cream. Of course the scalp thing is still a problem. Sometimes I feel like a monkey.

dx stage I 2/2000*er/pr+; her- per IHC*lumpectomy*4 rounds A/C*30 rads*tamoxifen*dx stage 4 5/2002*huge mets to liver*tiny mets to lungs*stopped tamoxifen*5/02 taxotere/xeloda*her 2 checked with FiSH-her2+++herceptin *2/03 stopped chemo femara w/herceptin*zolodex*04 switched to aromasin w/herceptin*05 high estrogen tx*11/05taxol/carbo*7/06 stopped chemo; megace/herceptin*9/06navelbine/herceptin*5/07tykerb/xeloda great response*4/08 progression in liver; ooph/ faslodex /herceptin
6/08 began Herceptin DM-1
9/08 progression
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:05 PM   #12
Daisypink

me too

Hi

I am so glad i spotted this thread as i was going post about this.. i'm on the LEAP trial over here in England (very lucky to get it), Xeloda/Tykerb 2 weeks on 1 week off - tykerb continiuosly.. i've just completed cycle 3.. i'm on 3300mg of xeloda and 1250mg tykerb.

It seems i also have the Tykerb rash over the weekend.. it started off on my neck like a heat rash and it was itchy, now its dried up and it looks like eczema. I have little patches of it on my face and also on my scalp.. thats very sore.

I phoned my hospital and my oncologist has susggested i try putting the udderly smooth cream i have on it and take some piriton.. hope i'm doing right.. does anyone know if they reduce the dose because of this.. i hope not..

I just read that if you get the rash its a good sign that its working for you.. is this right?? how do we know this??

does anyone know??

Lots of love jakki
x

DX May 2005 grade 3 IDC - partial mastectomy/immediate LD Recon. 0 /20 lymph nodes affected
Er+PR+HER2-
E-CMF chemo July 05 - Feb 06, 33 x rads. Tamoxifen
June 06 - Regional Reccurrence - supraclavicular lymph nodes, HER2+. Taxotere chemo Aug 06 - Dec 06, 25 x rads, Arimidex, zoladex, Herceptin.
Feb 07 - further supraclavicular progression, re-staging tests.
April 07 - Lung mets DX, oncologist trying to get me on Tykerb & xeloda on LEAP trial.
June 07 - Lung mets doubled in size, 3 new tumours and one in my back - commenced Tykerb/Xeloda - Zoladex & Arimidex stopped.
September 07 - Tykerb/Xeloda failed.. lung mets still growing and more new ones
October 2007 - Commenced Vinorelbine and back on Herceptin again..
March 2008 - New Scans reveal lung mets still progressing, now have 3cm Liver Met and Bone Met to Sternum - looking for a new clinical trial...
Daisypink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:09 PM   #13
awjkej

Hi Jakki,

I experienced very similar side effects as you. The rash on my face was so bad and painful, that I went down to 1000mg from 1250mg and that worked. My arms and feet began to be very painful and sore, tender so I am now down to 750mg. I have to day though that the difference between the 1000 mg and the 750 mg is neglible, whereas the dropping to 1000mg made a huge difference.

I do the 3 week on 1 week off and 3300mg of xeloda.

My onc told me that tykerb is metabolized differently by each woman and that a liver enzyme cytochrome p450 is involved with the process. He said that some women are on 250 mg up to 1500mg depending on what they can tolerate. So it is my understanding that it isn't a one size fits all dosage for tykerb.

Hope this helps.
Anne

Diagnosed Jan 2003
Arimidex, Faslodex