HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-15-2015, 02:14 AM   #1
irishrelative

CT Scan

Aunty had a CT scan a little over a month ago just after her first chemo. She's heard nothing about the results of this but has an oncology appointment Friday

She's been worrying about the results - as have we all - would doctor normally ring with results, if they weren't good before seeing her - she has since had a second round of chemo - or would they wait until they see them in their office.

The breast surgeon, oncologist and radiologist who saw her all said cancer is gone (lumpectomy) and this is purely preventative, but how can they know this prior to doing all the CT scans.
irishrelative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:51 AM   #2
ariana

Re: CT Scan

I don't know . My experience was different.

Had mammogram, ultrasound, biopsie,. So we knew size and shape
and what kind of cancer.
Did head too toe mri, cat scans, heart scan for herception treatment and
I think a few others as well. The only thing they found was a tiny kidney
stone. Nothing had spread to the lymphnodes etc..

I was warned by the Doc. not to get to excited because what the tests shows, is not
always what they find during the lumpectomy and lymphnode removal.

I had chemo first then surgery which found only 2 specks left and plenty of
clean margins and nothing in lymphnodes. So I knew at all the time about
what was happening and why. She could set up an appointment to see her Doc.
to discuss the situation or a Nurse CRN where shes at.

Keep close tabs with your doc. at all times
If she is given tamaxfin, or arimidex STAY ON IT. If you have side effects discuss
with your Doc. without skipping pills. She can give you something else or advise
you. THIS DISEASE NEVER SLEEPS. It's important to be dilligent with everything.

I had 2 specks left, clean margins, nothing in lympnodes. One year after I completed
Herception treatment, I found a lump on the side of my neck. A swollen lymphnode.
It spread to the left side and 6 tiny pin point dots on my lungs. This was on a Sunday
at 7 pm. I suddenly realized that my health net work had an urgi care medical place that was opened 7 days a week from 9-9 that could get my history on computer.
They told me it was a swollen lymphnode and I got an emgerency appointment set up
right away. I just had my first treatment. NO I DIDN'T SKIP PILLS, it just happened.
These pills have side effects along with fosilmax for the bones. Its a learning process
to get around it all. Hope everything works out. By the way cancer programs at the
hospital is a good place to be for support.
ariana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:00 AM   #3
irishrelative

Thanks for that. I suppose everyone is different.

I'm also glad to see you mention that you had those scans CT etc for Herceptin. I was afraid they were doing this scan as they thought she had a spread. She won't begin Herceptin until she has Taxol in November.

It's so scary.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:13 AM   #4
tricia keegan

Hi,

I think if they felt there was any spread at all they'd have called and brought her appointment forward, so no news is good news in my opinion.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:10 AM   #5
Tresorgh

Thats sounds very good.
Thank you very much for sharing your experience.

huawei g8 hülle
Tresorgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:13 AM   #6
irishrelative

Trisha,

This is what I am hoping too.

Docs seemed fairly confident they got everything, I don't know would they have been that certain if there was a query over it.

Still Friday will tell all.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:21 AM   #7
Carol Ann

It is so nervewracking waiting for results! But I agree with what everyone else here has said, more or less. No news is good news.

Only a couple of more days to wait. Fly, time!

Carol Ann
July 24, 2013: "Infected" Right Nipple and benign cyst removed, pathology report revealed Paget's, DCIS, and ILC 1.25 cm, ER+/Pro+/HER2 equivocal, Grade 2 under benign cyst, previous diagnostic mammo/ultrasound said I was perfectly healthy in both breasts.

Aug 18, 2013: MRI report says Left breast is perfectly healthy "consistent with previous studies".

Sept 2013: I insist on a bilateral mastectomy anyway. Too nervewracking to let left breast remain with higher risk after 3 cancers in right, nipple in right is already gone anyhow.

Sept 18, 2013: Bilateral mastectomy, 11 right nodes removed, ALL negative BUT -- ER+/PRO+/HER2+ tumor, 1.0 cm, Grade 2 found in a piece of "grossly unremarkable" breast tissue from prophylactic mastectomy of left breast, no nodes removed.

Oct 25, 2013: 13 left side nodes removed, ALL negative, Stage 1 across the board, NO RADS needed, YAAAAY! Port also installed.

Nov 25, 2013 Begin 6 rounds TCH.

March 10, 2014 Just finished 6th and LAST Chemo today, YAAAAAY!

March 24, 2014 Echocardiogram to make sure I'm still good for Herceptin every 3 weeks.

March 31, 2014 Echo results NORMAL, first Herceptin all by itself. Now if only my eyes would stop streaming from the Taxotere ... :)

April 21, 2014 Started Arimidex and therapy for "mild" lymphedema in left hand and arm

May 2014 Therapy completed, I have sleeves and gloves for both arms, a Flexi touch lymph pump to hook up to for an hour every day, and I've become an arm bandaging expert. :)

June 2014 Begin Fosamax to prevent osteoporosis; bone scan revealed osteopenia

Nov 17, 2014 FINAL Herceptin!

Dec 4, 2014 My right thigh muscle has been extra achy for days ... I discover a blister rash cluster on the side of my right thigh while taking a shower. Port appointment cancelled until Dec 17, my doc is working me in tomorrow afternoon to see me and the rash. My muscle at least feels less achy.

Dec 5, 2014 Yep, I have shingles. Boo! I start acyclovir and also have a prescription for a painkiller just in case for over the weekend.

Dec 17, 2014 Port is OUT!

January 2016 Shingles again and this time it started where my left breast (where the hidden HER2+++ tumor was!) used to be. My onc nurse got me a same day appointment to see my doc when I called and told her I had a rash on the site. The antiviral meds are working once again, though, so that is good news. :)
Carol Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:19 AM   #8
tricia keegan

Our Dr's here tend to take longer to give results than other countries so I'm sure that's all it is, I always phone for mine if the appointment is for any length of time rather than wait.
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
Old 09-16-2015, 09:01 AM   #9
Becky

But make sure you ask for the results and ask for a copy for your files

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 05:45 AM   #10
irishrelative

Hi all,

My aunty had meeting with oncologist on Friday. All well Thank God. There was no mention of CT scan so I presume all is OK. Doctors here tell you things on a 'need to know' basis. They said she is doing very well and are pleased with her.

She is 50% way through AC and isn't finding it as difficult as she thought it would be.

Doctor is telling her Taxol is easier, so hopefully that is true.

Long may stability reign
Old 09-22-2015, 10:23 AM   #11
Juls

Hi

Good to hear all well.
I am in Scotland and info is the same here - "need to know" basis. Gets very frustrating. Thank goodness I found this site!
Juls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:53 AM   #12
tricia keegan

So glad all is well with your Auntie and I certainly found Taxol a lot easier to tolerate than A/C too.

Juls, my son and his family live in Edinburgh, where in Scotland are you??
2014 Normal Dexa scan