HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-14-2009, 10:06 AM   #1
jhandley

Wink Stage IV in remission and working

Dear all
I have been in remission for nearly 4 years since my recurrence with a second lump and 1 liver spot in 2005. Last year I moved back to Melbourne and returned to more or less full time teaching. This year I have had to drop back to 0.9 of full time as I was not coping with full time. I would like to drop back more but teaching is such that you have to go in most days anyway whether you are 0.5 or 0.9 of a fulltime load. I was wondering if there are others who are in the same boat that is NED and working and how do you manage? I am also a single parent.
jackie (down under)
jhandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:31 AM   #2
Shobha

Wow Jackie, you make my spirits rise! It was so nice to hear that you have been in remission for 4 years after recurrence. Thanks for sharing, it really made my day.

I am NED currently and I am able to only work part time. I work about 6 hours a day. I also have two little ones that need my undivided attention. Hats off to those who manage full time!

May God bless you with continued NED status and a long long life!

hugs,
shobha
BRCA 1 and 2 - Negative
Jan 2008 - Bilateral mastectomy, prophylactic Rt. side.
Radiation for 5 weeks
Completed my yr of herceptin on 07-14-2008
Brain MRI - 3/2/09 Clean
Shobha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
Barbara H.

Hi Jackie,
I unfortunately graduated to stage 4 five years ago. I have taught third grade for many years and in September I will be moving to 5th. It will be more work because I have to learn the new curriculum. However, I am looking forward to a change.

Teaching is hard work because you are never finished when you leave work. There is always something to do. Yes, I do have two months off in the summer, but starting in August I will be in my classroom setting it up, putting new fabric on the bulletin boards, and unpacking all all my boxes of materials and books. I will also be at a conference the week before school. During this month I have been learning the curriculum, and updating all the reading units.

THEREFORE, I DON'T KNOW HOW YOU DO IT AS A SINGLE MOTHER!!!!!!

Although teaching is exhausting, it takes my mind off my health, and I find it rewarding to have an impact on the lives of children. Nevertheless, I am on the T-DM1 trial to stay NED, and I don't know how long that will last. I basically make plans from year to year. Good luck with whatever choice you make. Many years ago when my children were young, I did teach half time, but I had to come in everyday. Now there are a few teachers in the system that only come in 2 1/2 days a week.

Good luck and best wishes with your decision.

Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:42 PM   #4
ElaineM

Wink Stage IV in remission and working

I don't have any advice about working, but I just wanted to congratulate you on being in remission for 4 years as a stage 4. You inspire many people.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
juanita

just wanted to congratulate you on the 4 years in remission! way to go!
1 yr herceptin,
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:22 PM   #6
DianaT

Hello! I work fulltime (40+ hrs a week), have 4 small children and was told I was stage IV in Feb. I have worked the entire time, keeping my mind occupied. I am also in remission now and plan on staying that way for a long time!
Thank you for sharing that you have been NED for 4 yrs!
DianaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:49 PM   #7
suzan w

Hi Jackie, congrats on 4 years NED!!! I am a "retired" teacher...stopped working when I turned 50, it was too much for me to do it anymore! I was single at the time. And that was before cancer, and my kids were grown up!!! Teaching is such a demanding, albeit rewarding, profession. As is motherhood! Perhaps is it why we are such strong women???!!!
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:42 AM   #8
Ellie F

Hi Jackie and all
Your posts were just what I needed to read today as I am feeling so down following TH infusion last week.I became stage 4 in february this year when I had a contra lateral axillary node met. I was told by 2 oncs that this was a rare reoccurence and therefore no research to predict progress/outcome.I chose to have taxotere to try to kick this cancer out (not be given this following original AC chemo.)
Your posts have given me so much hope that I may get some precious time
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:48 PM   #9
chrisy

Hi Jackie,

congratulations on that lovely remission!

I've had recurrences since being diagnosed Stage IV, but have been fortunate enough to have been able to "maintain" on therapies less toxic than the initial chemo.

I have continued to work throughout (except for a few months during chemo). Although my work is also demanding (and sometimes involves dealing with people who ACT like children) I do have a bit more flexibility in terms of my schedule, and that helps.

I can't imagine doing that and being a single mom!

It sounds like in your situation it may be difficult (but perhaps still possible) to avoid going in to work every day. Still, if your time at school is less intense, it may help if you are able to claim that time for yourself - rest, meditate, yoga, study up on potential "cures"...whatever... out of sight of those who are supposed to be working.

I've (with permission) done that at times when I just couldn't handle the full workload and it did help - the key (and the tricky part) was to fully disengage from "work mode" without guilt or interruption.

Kudos for recognizing that you need to back off a bit - and good luck to you finding a comfortable halfway point.

Chris
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:02 PM   #10
donna77

Jackie,
Remission is good! I too teach. I have taken the year off to have 5 surgeries, chemo and herceptin. I start back full time in Sept. I am wondering if I will be able to do it! One of my friends at school was diagnosed in June with IIIb breast cancer and I worry about her constantly. It is good to know you can survive years! My plan is to be super organized in early August and to go into school and get alot done early! I also pay my 13 year old to do my bulletin boards! I figure that is quality time with my son and he gets to make $! I am a little nervous because Aug. 18th I am having a 2 hour touch up surgery on my tram flaps! My plastic surgeon guarantees that I will be good to go! I guess we can do anything if we have to!
donna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:46 AM   #11
schoolteacher

Jackie,

Thanks for sharing your news. It offers me Hope.

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote