HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-12-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
Adriana Mangus

Me again, need answers, please

Hi everyone,

I met with the radiologo oncologist today, she explained to me that due to the fact that the same area-rt side- has been previously radiated, there is a possibility I might end up with scar tissue which can be very painful, but she also said that we can leave it alone, unless if it's interfering with my quality of life. Of course it is!!!

I agreed to meet with her tomorrow to initiate the radiation treatment and work out a plan. However, after I got home I started thinking that I really do not need to have radiation to shrink the tumor in the rib, I do qualify for the TDM1 trial, and have been waiting on the doc to get me in. I then sent the onc. a message asking him for a frank and honest answer as to the lenght of time it takes for me to get approved by the IC. We've been waiting for over 6 weeks now and it's not acceptable.

So, this is what I'll do. If doc says I have to wait even longer, I will just go on my own. I can no longer wait. I have been off chemo since May, - only Herceptin, I don't want to believe that this break caused the ca in the rib, but who knows. I also believe I've been irresponsibe for not taking a more aggresive approach with the doc.

I now just hope the trial works for me.

Any words of encouragement/advice/ideas, will be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Adriana
2003- Recur to rt lung.July 16 ( B-Day!)
Her2+++ Er,Pr, Negative
2003 - Aug04--Navelbine + Herceptin
2004- 2007--
NED - Herceptin, only
2007 Feb-April Xeloda added to hereceptin
2007-May Back on Navelbine+Herceptin
2008-Feb-Mar 15 Ses Rad to Rt. Lung
2008- Oc 17 Add Tykerb to Herceptin
2009- June-- Discont Tykerb
2009 July 7--Current Taxol + Herceptin
2009 Dec--Discontinued treatment due to progression. Looking into cyberknife.
2010-Aug Accepted to TDM1, no SE, except liver count went up.
2010-2011 September got kicked out of the trial, due to a small spot found on lung.
2011- 2012 September thru early 2013 on Herceptin
2013- March Bone density shows small spot on 5th rib.
2013 - April 4th appt with onc. will post after discussing course of treatment.
2013-March-April Cyber knife to brain and radiation to rib. Chest --base line before chemo-CT-Scan stable for lung issue. CA2729 Normal.
2013 April Herceptin- TDMI
2013 Sept Herceptin + Perjeta . CA2729 within normal range. Brain and Pet scans October 31st. will post results.
2013 October Brain MRI- mixed response. Will see Onc/rad on Halloween.
2013 October/November Brain-MRI nothing new. Repeat MRI next year in May.

2013 December Continue Herceptin and Perjeta. Stable at the moment.
2014 February Brain MRI -clear!
2014 January Added Taxotere to Perjeta+Herceptin.
2014 March Stopped chemo-chest ct-scan next.

2014- March Scans shows tumor's larger, CA2729 higher. Discontinue Herceptin.
2014 April Perjeta+ Halaven
2014 April CA2729 went down 60 points after one cycle. Cough does not want to go away.
2014 June Continue on Perjeta + Halaven-- no more cough. Stable
2014 June Back on Herceptin + abraxane
Adriana Mangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:25 AM   #2
Sheila

Re: Me again, need answers, please

Adriana
Unfortunately sometimes we have to do what we can on our own to get the ball rolling....glad to see you are doing that...that is what I had to do when I was denied Tykerb....that waiting without treatment is very hard....you are in my prayers for a quick response and excellent results with the TDM-1.....so glad you are taking the bull by the horns!!!

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:22 AM   #3
ElaineM

Wink Re: Me again, need answers, please

Sometimes we just have to bite the bullet and take control of our own destiny no matter what the doctor says or how long it takes the doctor to get around to doing things for us. I do that myself. I decide how long I am willing to wait if the doctor seems to be taking an excess amount of time to get things done. Either I do my own thing or go find another doctor to help me. Good luck. Take good care of yourself. We have our fingers crossed for you whichever way you decide to go.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.

Last edited by ElaineM; 08-13-2010 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: addition
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
tricia keegan

Adrianna, I don't have any advice to add but want to wish you well whatever you decide.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:12 PM   #5
Julie2

Adriana,

I saw your signature and you are eligible for TDM1 EAP. If there is a center near you who offers it, it doesn't take much time to start the drug. You just need to have the recent scan and echo. I went through the screenign process and I was rejected becuase I didn't take xeloda in metastatic setting. The protocol is updated recently please check the website or ask the trial coordinator.

Julie
Old 08-14-2010, 12:54 AM   #6
Lani

Just in case the TDM1 does not shrink the rib met or you don't get in the trial, it might be useful to know that you can mitigate the chances that you develop post radiation fibrosis by taking a combination of trental and vitamin E for about 2- 3 years post radiation. Search and see my previous posts, and if you don't see it go to Pub Med or ask me on this site.

In addition, is there a way to do Cyberknife or other more exactly targetted radiation to the rib so as to avoid repeat radiation of areas that didn't need radiation in the first place, but just were innocent bystanders due to the nature of non-specific (vs stereotactic cyber or gammaknife) radiation fields?

I am not trying to be negative ie, in planning what to do if it doesn't work/you don't get in...rather, I think it helps psychologically to have the ammunition of a Plan B in your pocket to avoid panicking if something doesn't go according to plan.

It seems, many feel powerless in the face of cancer, but armed with ammunition and "Plan Bs" some are better able to adapt and proceed with the fight.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:07 PM   #7
Joan M

Adriana,

I'm praying that you get an answer soon. Waiting is very tiring and emotionally draining.

Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:26 PM   #8
PatE

Hi,
I am stage iV, I had a liver met, last December my pet showed a spot on my spine L2. I wasn't in pain really didnt suspect it was there. My Onc thought we should just wait and watch. I really wasn't comfortable with that.

My liver spot was treated with Cyberknife in August 2008, 3 treatments no pain or problems. I went shopping after the third treatment. CK is very very easy! So I contacted my Rad Onc who agreed that Cyberknife could be very effective with the second spot so I had CK treatment to spine in May, 2010.

My last Pet was fantastic:

There is not a cancer related mention of my liver anymore:
"There is normal metabolic activity within the liver, spleen, kidneys, bowel, and bladder"
I didn't think this was possible, previous scans always mentioned something but dare I say my liver is cured. Who really knows.

Spine
"Image of the visualized skelton demonstrate interval decrease in size and metabolic activity involving the hypermetabolic osseous metastasis involving the left side of L2 vertebral body. The max SUV on the current study measures 3.2, previously measuring 8.9. No additional areas, etc...."

I hope this helps your comfort level with CK, make sure your Rad Onc has a machine otherwise you probably don't have a prayer of being referred for treatment. Traditional Rads aren't too happy with the new cancer machine on the block ... unfortunately if their center doesn't have the machine they make very little money.
Please email me if I can help, praying for soon to come treatment, good luck on the TDMI too I can't comment on that.
Oh I am on Herceptin weekly, I was off for four months when I got the spot on the spine due to ef problem.
PatE is offline   Reply With Quote