HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Articles of Interest
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2005, 07:52 AM   #1
RhondaH

Plant oil "act like cancer drug"

Do any of you happen to know if "evening primrose oil" is the same as olive oil? I drink a TBS of olive oil daily as well as use it to cook with and this is the first I've heard of this.

Rhonda Hoffman

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4395826.stm

This is a "nicer" article, more explainative

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/heal...?id=2180672005

Last edited by RhondaH; 11-02-2005 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: I like the other article better
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 05:46 PM   #2
Unregistered

Dietary fats ESSENTIAL READING

This is a complex subject. From everything I have read dietary fat balance is fundamental in breast cancer.

I attach a link of a very good article which will help you understand the mechanisms involved.

http://www.benbest.com/health/essfat.html

Then look up NCBI on your search engine and then search for breast cancer and omega three, breat cancer and omega 6 and breast cancer and CLA. These are trial results and it difficult to understand the technicalities - so I suggest you intiially stick to the conclusions, but it want take long to see which way the wind is blowing.

If you are worried how they may interact with treatment use the same search site and look up you treatment plus omega three etc.

The above for me stresses the importance of balancing your omega three and six intakes, and particulary including fish oil (which is not the same as cod liver oil it does not taste so bad or repeat) in your diet. The oils we now regard as healthy corn, soy, sunflower etc are high in omega six and are often identified above (above the bodies basic requirement) as percusors of breast cancer.

A trial was done taking biopsies of breast fat tissue at the same time as lump excision and relating the results to omega three consumption. The women in the top third of omega three for fiish oil had a 69% lower risk than the lowest third (and generlly had much lower risk profiles)

Dont take my word for it go and check for yourself.

R B

Here is one to start with - go to the last few lines to start.

1: Eur J Cancer Prev. 2005 Jun;14(3):263-70. Related Articles, Links

Exogenous supplementation with omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid docosahexaenoic acid (DHA; 22:6n-3) synergistically enhances taxane cytotoxicity and downregulates Her-2/neu (c-erbB-2) oncogene expression in human breast cancer cells.

Menendez JA, Lupu R, Colomer R.

Department of Medicine, Breast Cancer Translational Research Laboratory, Evanston Northwestern Healthcare Research Institute, Evanston, Illinois 60201, USA. jmenendez@enh.org

Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA), docosahexaenoic acid (DHA; 22:6n-3) and other omega-3 and omega-6 PUFAs have raised interest as novel anticancer agents by exerting selective cytotoxic effects on human cancer cells without affecting normal tissues. Here, we examined the in vitro relationship between exogenous supplementation with DHA and breast cancer chemosensitivity to taxanes. We measured cell viability in the highly metastatic human breast cancer cell line MDA-MB-231 exposed sequentially to DHA followed by paclitaxel (Taxol) or docetaxel (Taxotere). As DHA by itself showed cytotoxic effects, possible synergistic interactions between DHA and taxanes were assessed, employing the combination index (CI) method and the isobologram analysis. Both methods showed a strong synergism (CI approximately 0.5; P<0.005) between DHA and taxanes in MDA-MB-231 cells. When the increase in taxanes efficacy was measured by dividing the IC50 values (50% inhibitory concentrations) obtained when the cells were exposed to taxanes alone by those after DHA pre-exposure, we found that DHA enhanced the cytotoxic activity of taxanes against MDA-MB-231 cells in a dose-dependent manner (up to 13- and 5-fold increase in Taxol and Taxotere efficacy, respectively). Importantly, sequential exposure to DHA followed by taxanes also yielded strong synergism in Her-2/neu (c-erbB-2)-overexpressing and taxanes-resistant SK-Br3 and BT-474 breast cancer cells. Moreover, exogenous supplementation with DHA significantly decreased the expression of Her-2/neu-codified p185(Her-2/neu) oncoprotein (up to 78% reduction in BT-474 cells). Our results provide experimental support to the hypothesis that omega-3 PUFAs can be used as modulators of tumor cell chemosensitivity and provide the rationale for in vivo preclinical investigation. In addition, this is the first study demonstrating that omega-3 PUFA DHA downregulates Her-2/neu oncogene expression in human breast cancer cells.

PMID: 15901996 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

GLA is more complex, as is part of a chain starting with linoleic acid.