HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Articles of Interest
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2014, 08:22 PM   #1
'lizbeth

Post Understanding vaccines E75/AE37

We, the Her2 3+ are no longer eligible for these particular vaccine trials - but the following article helps explain how the vaccines work.

Quote:
AE37 is part of the intracellular domain of the HER2 oncogene, while NeuVax, or E75, is part of the extracellular domain of HER2. AE37 is a MHC Class II molecule peptide vaccine, while NeuVax is a MHC Class I peptide vaccine. A MHC Class I vaccine, such as NeuVax, will stimulate CD8+ T Cells, called killer T cells, while they don't stimulate CD4+ T cells, or helper cells, at all.AE37, an MHC Class II molecule peptide vaccine, stimulates CD4+ T cells, often called the Generals, while charging the CD8+ T cells, sometimes called the troops, into a full battle against recurrence of cancer. AE37 is referred to by MD Anderson researchers as a second generation vaccine, with NeuVax being the first generation. AE37 is the most potent peptide vaccine ever researched, and this vaccine is the first to exhibit such strong potency absent of an adjuvant, as COL George Peoples and his group have noted in peer review papers plus abstracts presented at ASCO. See here. However, the main key separating AE37 from other vaccines is the Antigen Express Ii-Key hybrid technology.

Quote:
Antigen Express' Ii-Key Hybrid technology platform entails the modification of fragments of antigens to increase their potency in stimulating critical members of the immune response, known as CD4+ T helper cells. Incorporating the Ii-Key modification along with tumor-associated antigens can greatly enhance the immune system's ability to recognize and destroy cancer cells bearing any of the targeted antigens as well as increasing immunological memory. Ii-Key bypasses the need for intracellular cell degradation and processing, ensuring any payload attached to the Ii-Key protein will be delivered directly for activation of the immune Generals, CD4+ T cells.
During a recent investor conference call, featuring the Scientific Advisory Board of Antigen Express, Dr. Elizabeth Mittendorf, from MD Anderson and the PI for the AE37 Phase IIb study, explained the following regarding the Ii-Key hybrid technology and AE37,
AE37 is not actually the endogenous peptide, that peptide is known as AE36. By itself, AE36 is not as immunogenic as we'd like it to be, so the scientists at Antigen Express have added this four amino acid sequence, LRMK, which is Ii-Key, onto the beginning of AE36 which makes it about 250% more potent as a vaccine. (Ii-Key hybrid + AE36 = AE37).

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease

Last edited by 'lizbeth; 01-22-2014 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: clarification
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:19 AM   #2
jaykay

Re: Understanding vaccines E75/AE37

'lizbeth - you mean no longer eligible for this particular vaccine trial - correct?

Janis
BRCA 1 and 2 negative
October, 2012: Bi Mast with tissue expanders, port placement
Final Path: IDC 2.8cm, DCIS, 1/4 sentinal nodes positive (@#$%). Stage IIB
Nov 29, 2012: Begin TCH/6x/every 3 wks, H for 1 year/every 3 weeks.
March 14, 2013: Finished chemo
April 9, 2013: Begin radiation 28x
May 22, 2013: Finished rads
June 1st, 2013: Started Aromasin for 5 yrs.
July 15, 2013: Switched to Letrozole (Femara). Probably for the rest of my life
October 16, 2013: Exchange surgery
October 31, 2013: Finished Herceptin
December 5, 2013: Port removed
Glad this year is over!
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:19 AM   #3
'lizbeth

Yes, Janis - you are correct. I should have been more specific, and have edited my post for clarification.

I am still hoping that we Her2 3+ will be included in the FDA approvals for these 2 vaccines.
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:06 PM   #4
donocco

Elizabeth

I guess I see more research ahead of me. This is important
stuff but at present its a bit over my head. There are 2 kinds of immune cells Tcells and B cells. T stands for Thymus gland and B stands for bone marrow. The B cell produce the antibodies. The T cells attack the target directly.

Ive heard of CD4 vs CD8 t cells. There usually is a ratio of type 4 to type 8 . I think the 4 is usually higher than the 8 type. In aids the 8 is higher than the four. That is about all I know now. Its a complicated subject

Paul
donocco is offline   Reply With Quote