HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-31-2007, 02:41 PM   #1
eric

2 new spots on liver - anyone use doxil?

Hi all. The CAT came back and unfortunately it seems that there's 2 new spots on Caryn's liver. I didn't speak to the Onc but it appears that pinpoint options (RFA, freezing, etc) are out for now and he's leaning heavily toward Doxil and considering a trial that he's read about that boosts your immune system while on chemo. Has anyone had any success on Doxil? What side effects? I'm feeling really sad right now since a part of me was really hoping it was still limited to one small spot and a procedure was an option. Like so many of you incredibly brave woman (and men), Caryn needs a break.
Thank you, Eric
eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
jml

Immuno-support - accupuncture

Hang in there Eric & Caryn!
I'm so sorry about the news of new mets.
I have not used Doxil, but had battled liver mets since my primary dx in May '02. I had a single lesion, then after Herceptin/Navelbine failed, my disease progressed to "innumerable,immeasureable".
Taxol/Herceptin has been my magic combo, but also did RFA+chemo combo. Ultimately, I did have a liver resection-L lobe to rid my body of one last, stubborn lesion- in Dec '05.
I don't know what Caryn's disease/treatment history has been, but I know you will find the right combo for her! It's just a matter of trial & error - which is so frustrating & frightening, I know. My heart goes out to you both.
Anything we can do to help support or bolster our immune system while going through treatment is so important. Throughout my history, I've supplemented my "western" medical care w/accupuncture & supplements - no "special teas" or anything like that - just regular stuff like melatonin, CoQ10, Green Tea Extract, Resveratrol, etc)recommended by a traditional chinese medicine doctor...all geared to boost & support the immune system while on chemo.
I've managed 83 weeks of chemo to date, not including yrs of Herceptin solo & continued to tolerate treatment w/minimal side effects & maintained an active lifestyle.
While I don't have any experience w/Doxil, one of the wise, generous, compassionate folks from this site will be certain to post.
Hang in there & Keep the Faith.

Take good care~
jml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:37 PM   #3
Lolly

Eric, I'm sorry you got bad news. It's hard to keep on keeping on sometimes, I know, but it sounds like your onc has his thinking cap on, so that's a real positive.

I haven't had Doxil yet, but my onc also has his thinking cap on as my chest wall recurrence is slowly progressing, and I was going to ask him about Doxil. I've read it's good in combo with Herceptin/Taxotere.

<ECM_CONTENT>Doxil®, Taxotere® and Herceptin® Not Associated with Excessive Cardiac Toxicity in Patients with Breast Cancer
http://professional.cancerconsultant....aspx?id=29079
Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.

Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:55 PM   #4
eric

Thanks Lolly and JML. It turns out that the spread is more than he told Caryn; there's also a couple of very small spots in her lungs. This unfortunately rules out any procedure on her liver. (I'm very upset about this). He's planning on the Doxil alone and hopeully getting her involved in a stem cell trial where she would get blood from a sibling to help her immune system fight off the cancer. I'll keep everyone informed on that.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:36 PM   #5
Monica

Hi Eric,
I'm so sorry to hear that the cancer has spread more than you thought, but at least now you can make plans for the next fight.

Did you happen to see the posting on NeuVax? I don't know where the company is in recruiting for their Phase III trial, but the drug looks potentially promising.

Best,
Monica

Dx Nov 2003 HER2+++, ER+, PR+
1.7 cm. left breast, Grade 3, Two nodes out of six, stage IIA
Mastectomy right side
Lumpectomy left side
4 A/C, 4 Taxol plus 49 weeks herceptin
Radiation on left side
No tamoxifen or other hormonal drugs
Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:57 PM   #6
dajawood

Eric,
Sorry to hear that the b/c is growing in the liver and now in the lungs. Hang in there. I was diagnosed as stage IV b/c with mets to liver, bones, and lungs in April 07. Have been on Herceptin, Taxotere, and Zometa. Didn't work and liver tumors continue to grow. Now am on a clinical trial using Herceptin and RAD001 plus the Zometa for the bones. I know how you feel. It's really scary to see the growth in the CT scans. I go back to MD Anderson next Mon-Tues for a check up and the IVs and am already tense from the thought. My doc doesn't think stem cell or the ablation will work for me.
dajawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:14 PM   #7
tousled1

Eric,

I'm very sorry to hear that Caryn is not only dealing with liver mets but also with lung mets. I have lung mets and am being treated with weekly Herceptin, Taxol and Carboplatin 3 weeks on 1 week off. I had scan done after 12 weeks that showed improvement in the lung nodules. We are continuing with this combo and will be scanned again in January. I have no experience with Doxil but now that Caryn is dealing with both liver and lung mets perhaps the oncologist will have a different plan. I will keep you both in my prayers. Please keep us posted.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:49 AM   #8
eric

Thank you each. Monica - I'll look into NeuVax.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:58 PM   #9
Mykentuckyhome

Doxil user

I have used doxil starting in 06 for 9 months. It stopped working in May of 07. We actually had requested it to my onc because you dont lose your hair , been there done that.I toerated the drug pretty well except for low blood counts one in awhile.Hope you have luck with it.l
Mykentuckyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:28 PM   #10
eric

If the doc confirms Doxil my wife will be thrilled to hear that her hair might grow back! Thank you