HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-12-2007, 08:03 PM   #1
juanita

fatigue

When I started treatments with my current onc I decided that I was not going to let anything get to me like it had with my first onc. I continued working full time in a physically demanding job, kept up with stuff around the house and helped out a friend who runs the concession stands for our high school. It is now almost a year since i had my last treatment of any kind. I changed jobs this year to a less physical one, and things are winding down for the school year. I should feel good, and I do in every way except that many days I am exhausted. Is it possible that the last 2 1/2 years has finally caught up with me and my body is telling me it's time for a break? I see my pcp in a couple weeks for cholesterol check so I thought I'd try talking to him before I call onc. On a brighter note I attended the first survivor's tea at my local hospital today. They are starting a mentoring program the end of the month.
1 yr herceptin,
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 08:12 PM   #2
Becky

It is probably not as much that all the treatments are catching up - they certainly do a number on us for sure. But after everything, we are also almost 3 years older than when this all began (I was diagnosed just about when you were). I am sometimes in the same boat as you and then think if its just how it would have been anyway? Maybe it would. At 48 yrs old, I cannot exercise like I used to (without passing out). I need to be in bed on a work night by 10 - 10:30 or I am doomed the next day (I used to be able to stay up to 11:30 or so before). Maybe the treatments "aged" me a couple of more years than I think but none the less (and thank God too) I have also naturally aged. I do believe that if your body is tired, listen. Just like if you are hungry - eat or if you are sad - cry. I know I will continue to slow down as I age and for the first time, I will be happy to be old - very old because that will mean I am still here and beat this and hopefully dodged a million more bullets too. So, take heart and have a great Mother's Day!

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 08:20 PM   #3
Jeanette

Cool fatigue

I agree with you Becky. My mom used to say that old age does not come by itself. She was a very wise woman. I am 67 and I used to think I was invincable. I never slowed down, but now I welcome a little snooze in the afternoon. Hey we are here and able to talk about it. Blessings to us all,Jeanette
Jeanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 03:53 AM   #4
Mary Jo

Hello,

Age.....................I think age does have a lot to do with it. I was diagnosed at 45 years old and in 6 months will be 48 years old. My husband often reminds me that I am closer to 50 than I am to 40 - (gee thanks honey) !!!!!! Like Becky said, I think treatment ages us a few years as well. Also, there is the emotional toll to consider. I believe the emotional toll with a cancer diagnosis is almost as trying on our bodies (maybe more so in the long term) as the physical.

I am a stubborn lady. I work hard. Rarely sit. Work 5 hours a day (a physical job) four days a week; powerwalks/jogs 4 - 6 miles a day; does volunteer work. I do NOT like to admit that I am "tired" as I guess I'm of the mindset that if I've busy working hard I am strong. That's just who I am. That all being said, I'm just thankful I am healthy and ABLE to work hard. I do take time for "me" though - when I powerwalk/jog I listen to my favorite music (Contemporary Christian) sing to my hearts content (when people aren't around me) - pray and thank the Lord for this life. It revives me and that exercise time is the favorite times of my day (I powerwalk 2 - 3 times a day - each walk being 2 miles) I do go to bed early (by 9:00 p.m.) read a bit and I'm sleeping by 9:15 or 9:30. Up at 5:00 a.m.

Gentle hugs,

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06