HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-03-2007, 03:16 PM   #1
Robyn

Lightbulb Progression on Herceptin.....off it now what?

I was on Herceptin alone, progressed, then the trial herceptin/omnitarg and progessed....my thought is what IF, the herceptin is at least SLOWING down the cancer?? They consider it a failure....but I don't!! Of course, in Canada they won't continue with it because of the guidelines...it is a bit disappointing, so I am trying to have a logical explanation given to me? Any thoughts out there??

Robyn
xx
Robyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 04:46 PM   #2
lindaw

Have you tried lapatinib.If it is approved there soon maybe you could try that with herceptin.

love
lindaw
lindaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 06:53 PM   #3
tousled1

Robyn,

Many times when women are on Herceptin only they progress. I've read many posts on this board that when this happens the oncologist will usually add another chemo drug to the mix. I guess what is added is dependent upon where the cancer has progressed. Tykerb is to released this month so perhaps that can be an alternative for you. I'll keep you in my prayers.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:34 AM   #4
MJo

I agree with the other ladies. I hope you can get lapatinib I read that some studies are giving lapatinib and Herceptin together, to intensify one another. As I understand it in my nonmedical, nonscientific thinking, Lapatinib gets inside the cancer cell and destroys both her2 and her1 proteins(?) Herceptin wraps around the outside of the cell and destroys Her2 only. I think of Herceptin as a leech, and lapatinib as a borer (I garden). I agree with touseled that Herceptin could be combined with different chemo. If I ever recur, I would expect my doctors to give me a combination of Tykerb and/or Herceptin with the most effective chemo drugs. I hope Canadian doctors have freedom to try different combinations. I hope you have a doctor who won't give up easily. Also, I read a study on Herceptin where some women had "full response" and some women had "partial response" If partial response means slowing down the cancer, I agree with you that it's some kind of success. Please keep the board informed on how you are doing and what your doctors decide to do.

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:51 AM   #5
Lani

please see my post above

but to repeat myself--here is some "ammo" supporting continued use of herceptin (as part of a combination) in the setting of progression:
Onkologie. 2005 Nov;28(11):582-6. Links
Prolonged survival of patients receiving trastuzumab beyond disease progression for HER2 overexpressing metastatic breast cancer (MBC).

Stemmler HJ,
Kahlert S,
Siekiera W,
Untch M,
Heinrich B,
Heinemann V.
Medical Department III, University Hospital of Munich, Grosshadern, Germany. Joachim.Stemmler@med.uni-muenchen.de
BACKGROUND: The aim of this retrospective analysis was to evaluate the impact of trastuzumab-based regimens on the survival of patients with HER2-overexpressing metastatic breast cancer (MBC). The study specifically focussed on the influence of the continuation of trastuzumab-based treatment despite tumor progression on survival. PATIENTS AND METHODS: Patients with HER2 overexpressing MBC were included in this retrospective analysis. HER2 overexpression was determined by the immunohistochemical staining score (DAKO Hercep Test). Trastuzumab was applied at a loading dose of 4 mg/kg and a maintenance dose of 2 mg/kg. RESULTS: Among 136 HER2 overexpressing patients (DAKO score 3+), 66 patients received first-line trastuzumab, 47 patients received trastuzumab as second-line therapy and 23 patients received trastuzumab beyond disease progression. There was no significant difference regarding the duration of trastuzumab-based treatment (first-line: 29.5 weeks vs. second-line: 25 weeks). Moreover, there was no difference in the response rate (first-line: 37.9% vs. second-line: 35.7%) or the median survival (p = 0.47 log rank). Patients who received = 2 trastuzumab-based regimens for MBC survived significantly longer compared to those who had received only 1 regimen (= 2 regimens: 62.4 months vs. 1 regimen: 38.5 months; p = 0.01 log rank). CONCLUSIONS: Trastuzumab is highly effective in the treatment of HER2 overexpressing MBC. Compared to historical controls, overall survival appears to be markedly prolonged, particularly in patients who received sequential trastuzumab-based treatment beyond disease progression.
PMID: 16249644 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:51 AM   #6
Belinda

In Australia, Herceptin is only available through the PBS (ie publicly funded) for women whose disease has progressed. I think that was in recognition of its benefit in controlling advanced BC. It was only recently (Oct last yr) that they allowed herceptin to be funded for women with early breast cancer, on condition it was adjuvunct to chemo, heart tests were okay etc, and the limit is 1 yr.

B
  • Diagnosed 3 Jan 2007, Stage IIb, Mastectomy and axillary clearance 10 Jan 07, 6 of 19 nodes affected, multi-focal cancer, HER2 positive. Second mastectomy (prophylactic). Chemo - AC 3 months, Taxol 3 months - then radiation 5 weeks.
  • Aug 2011 - Diagnosed with Stage IV mets to lung, sternum and 12 or so thoracic nodes - Rads to Sternum, then weekly abraxane and herceptin for 12 weeks.
  • May 2012- good scans - all nodes still about normal size, hole in sternum repairing, lung tumour 'obliterated'.
    Ongoing herceptin every 3 weeks. Bloods still all good! Life good!
  • March 2013 - recurrence - tumours in lungs and mediastinum (coughing up blood) - immediate radiation treatment to right lung and mediastinum, still on Herceptin, and 3 months of Vinoralbine - stable for a little while!
  • Coughing and breathlessness started again September 2013, treated as radiation-induced fibrosis (which can be seen on scans - albeit stable). ie puffers, steroids
  • January 2014 - cough becomes bloody again, scans show big mediastinal tumour wrapped around and choking the life out of my right main bronchus, radiation deemed off limits as my lungs are hypersensitive to radiation (measured by existing damage from 2013) .....................- ie I am in the 5% of people likely to suffer severe radiation damage to the lungs that they warn you about before starting treatment! (so special! :) )
  • Started chemo Feb 2014 - continuing Herceptin (continuous since Aug 2011), with Carboplatin and Gemcitabine. Discontinued Gemcitabine because of se's. Starting cycle 5 Herc/Carbo 5 May 2014.
  • Meantime.....coughing and breathlessness increased to SCARY levels with racing heartbeat that won't slow down, breath that won't come back, even just walking to the bathroom or up 3 or 4 steps.
  • ICU from May 5 2014, collapsed right lung due to tumour, small pulmonary embolism (left), tumours growing in mediastinum left and right, dvt lower right leg
  • Plan seems to be bronchoscope next week to see if tumour can be lasered and stent inserted in right bronchus to reopen air access to lower parts of right lung. If that is successful might be able to have brachytherapy to worst tumour, otherwise no more options for external radiotherapy.
Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote