HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-26-2003, 01:40 PM   #1
Faye Peters

I have had my left breast removed and 22 out of 23 affected with cancer. I am her2 and hormone positive. Grade 3 cancer. All scans clear.
Is there a chance of surviving long term with this. My kids are only 2,4,7. Please send me emails to help on this journey. Thank you,
Faye
Old 12-26-2003, 02:19 PM   #2
Linda in MI.

Hi Faye,

Are you in a clinical trial for herceptin? If not, since it sounds like your treatment is over, you really need to try to receive herceptin now instead of waiting until it spreads. With that many lymph nodes positive your chances of recurrence are extremeely high. Are you any hormonal therapy?

As far as long term survival, with the availability of herceptin as well as her2 vaccines and other treatments for her 2 I feel chances of long term survival are very good.

I am also a firm believer in changing the chemistry inside your body that allowed cancer to grow in the first place. This involves dietary changes such as no sugar, dairy, and taking lots of supplements to strengthen your immune system. Juicing is an excellent idea too.

Like you, I have young children that need me so I know what you are going through. Just try to take time for yourself to decrease your stress level such as yoga, meditation, etc. This will also increase your chances of survival. If you want to e-mail me my e-mail is linda@garmo.com

Blessings and Hugs,

Linda in MI.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:57 AM   #3
Lolly

Faye,
There are many long term survivors of Her2+ BC, quite a few members of this board, and as Linda says so many new treatments on the horizon. If you have finished standard treatment, it would be worth trying to get into a clinical trial involving Herceptin or one of the new vaccines, to hopefully prevent a recurrence, or push to receive Herceptin now. I had a dx very similar to yours, and unfortunately had a recurrence; I am on Herceptin maintenance dose and in remission now. This site is your lifeline to cutting edge research and treatment, and your chances of surviving to see your children grow up are very good. You must become an advocate for yourself, if you keep in mind that you want to live for your children it's not so daunting. Prayers are with you...
Lolly
Old 12-27-2003, 02:58 PM   #4
Lyn

Hi there, every day we get through is a day closer to getting a cure, so hang in there with us. Mine was a radical mastectomy in 1998 with the removal of the pectoral and chest muscle with 16 out of 16 lymps all positive and not responsive to hormones and I was supposed to have at best 2 -3 years, but I have a daughter now 14 so if not for myself but for her, I take all the treatment that is dished out to me, I find anti-depressants help to keep me remaining positive. I have been in and out of remission for over 5 years, but always just in time to try the next cure,and I hope the last treatment I need.

Hugs from Lyn
Old 12-30-2003, 12:49 AM   #5
eleanor

I was diagnosed in Jan 2000 with infiltrating lobular carcinoma and am her2 3+ positive. I was treated for a year, but then the cancer came back in my bones and I was dx in April 2002. After 18 mos and lots of setbacks I managed to make it to NED. Right now I am on herceptin alone and doing well. I just pray it continues. My advice is to try to get into a herceptin trial to hopefully prevent a recurrance. In the meantime, remain very positive and look at this as a chronic illness that you can manage. I really believe that a positive attitude makes a difference when dealing with this.
el