HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-24-2003, 11:46 PM   #1
Sandy

To those of you who have had long term chemo or are at a point where the doctor doesn't know what to do with you how did you determime what to do? The doctor is looking at my quality of life but as I look at it its either die from the treatment of the disease. I am going to talk to him tomorrow about going back on weekly chemo which will be Taxol and Herceptin as that is what worked for me before. I have not been on any long term chemo as yet. He says he doesn't want to start it too soon and use it up now. The way I look at it lets use it now and not worry about later. Do you think I am wrong and how are the rest of you handling it? Were you put in this situation? Just had to get this off my chest before starting the day. Wishing you all a very Merry and blessed Christmas. Now its gift time here. Special hugs to you all, Sandy
Old 12-25-2003, 04:51 AM   #2
lindaw

Dear Sandy
Please see my posting in reply to scar nodules and using taxol herceptin.

love
linda
Old 12-26-2003, 08:54 AM   #3
Velva

Hi, I have been on/off chemo since '99, and have been in same place as you this year. My onc took me off Navelbine in March, cont'd Herceptin til Oct. when my echo results were 30%. Last echo showed 50-60%, onc says it's up to me if want to restart Herceptin/weekly, but no other chemo even with CA15-3 rising slowly from 14 to 33 & a small tumor(growing) removed from my back in Oct this yr. Went to M.D. Anderson Dec. 8 for 2nd opinion & Dr. Eva Thomas agreed with my onc basically. I am concerned things will progress too far before chemo is restarted. I will most likely start Herceptin back after I see cardio doc. Keep us posted & hang in there.
Velva
Old 12-30-2003, 01:00 AM   #4
eleanor

Hi Sandy,
my onc kind of thinks the same way, kind of wait and see. I am at the Moffitt Center in Tampa Fla.
I'm not so sure I like the idea, cause it seems that things would get worse, not better. I was in a position a few months ago about whether or not to continue treatment because of extensive lung damage. I was having to make the choice of dying from treatment or from disease and I chose disease and literally put it in Gods hands. We stopped all drugs for close to 4 mos and I am now on herceptin alone. I was fortunate because the cancer had not spread during that time. I am going in for scans this week, (so all of this could change). But as far as I know at this point, I made the right choice and will hopefully continue to improve on the herceptin alone.
Hope this helps.
el
Old 12-30-2003, 09:46 AM   #5
Sandy

Wow, good for you and thanks for sharing with us. I believe you are right its in Gods hands. We have to stay focus and not forget that. I have several very close Christian friends, that are saved, and they keep me on that focused path. I do get off it from time to time and I thank God for them. They call me when they don't hear within couple of days to see where I am at. Sure helps. Big hugs to you. Prayers and blessings, Sandy