HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-05-2011, 11:30 AM   #1
jml

Lung Biopsy...what to expect?

Hi Friends~
I've been away from "the boards" for a number of months now, though have been checking in the past week to catch up and see how everyone's doing.
Regardless of when or why I log in, I'm always inspired and encouraged by all of you. I'm so grateful to know you guys are all just a click away.

I'm scheduled for a lung biopsy on Friday and just don't know what to expect. As a salty, ~9yr Stage IV'er, who's been through just about everything, I find myself in unusual territory...
I did have a CT guided liver biopsy back when I was dx'd in 2002. That was no fun - the radiologist made three "passes" with the needle and that was about all I could tolerate.

The results of this biopsy will determine whether or not I can resume my TDM1 treatments that have done such a beautiful job cleaning up the disease in the nodes in/around my belly & liver or switch to something new again. But these lung nodules are really throwing things off.
I have a history of lung nodules popping up & resolving, and when everything else in my body is responding to treatment, the lung nodules still behave erratically.
My doctor's @Emory don't get alarmed as they know that's just the way it goes for me, however the study docs for TDM1 are adamant about finding out if it's true disease progression or some other thing.
So after a CT scan, PET scan and another CT scan in <30 days, now they want me to see a Pulmonologist and have a lung biopsy. Even prior to my liver resection in '05, the surgeon suggested we get the lung nodules biopsied "to find out once and for wall what they are..." but even then we didn't pursue it.
The good news is I've been off TDM1 for ~7weeks now, completely off treatment including Vitamin H, and the CT's show that nothing's started to grow again.

I know I can't avoid it, and I know that this is another hoop I have to jump through to get back on track with my treatment, but I can feel the anxiety creeping up.
I just talked to the IR folks & they said that I'll be in recovery for 4-6 hours...? Seems like a long time.
Any exeperiences, words of wisdom & encouragement are greatly appreciated.

Keep the Faith~

Jessica
jml is offline   Reply With Quote