HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-05-2011, 11:30 AM   #1
jml

Lung Biopsy...what to expect?

Hi Friends~
I've been away from "the boards" for a number of months now, though have been checking in the past week to catch up and see how everyone's doing.
Regardless of when or why I log in, I'm always inspired and encouraged by all of you. I'm so grateful to know you guys are all just a click away.

I'm scheduled for a lung biopsy on Friday and just don't know what to expect. As a salty, ~9yr Stage IV'er, who's been through just about everything, I find myself in unusual territory...
I did have a CT guided liver biopsy back when I was dx'd in 2002. That was no fun - the radiologist made three "passes" with the needle and that was about all I could tolerate.

The results of this biopsy will determine whether or not I can resume my TDM1 treatments that have done such a beautiful job cleaning up the disease in the nodes in/around my belly & liver or switch to something new again. But these lung nodules are really throwing things off.
I have a history of lung nodules popping up & resolving, and when everything else in my body is responding to treatment, the lung nodules still behave erratically.
My doctor's @Emory don't get alarmed as they know that's just the way it goes for me, however the study docs for TDM1 are adamant about finding out if it's true disease progression or some other thing.
So after a CT scan, PET scan and another CT scan in <30 days, now they want me to see a Pulmonologist and have a lung biopsy. Even prior to my liver resection in '05, the surgeon suggested we get the lung nodules biopsied "to find out once and for wall what they are..." but even then we didn't pursue it.
The good news is I've been off TDM1 for ~7weeks now, completely off treatment including Vitamin H, and the CT's show that nothing's started to grow again.

I know I can't avoid it, and I know that this is another hoop I have to jump through to get back on track with my treatment, but I can feel the anxiety creeping up.
I just talked to the IR folks & they said that I'll be in recovery for 4-6 hours...? Seems like a long time.
Any exeperiences, words of wisdom & encouragement are greatly appreciated.

Keep the Faith~

Jessica
jml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
Barbara H.

Re: Lung Biopsy...what to expect?

Hi Jessica,
It's not pleasant, but doable. I teach and only missed a weak of school. I turned out to have lung inflammation and eventually had to go off the TDM-1 trial. I went on Tykerb/Herceptin in October 2009, and it is still continuing to work.
Best wishes,
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:39 PM   #3
Lien

I know of at least 4 people who had nodules that looked like mets, but turned out to be harmless. It's very hard to tell the difference on a scan. I guess that's why they want to do the biopsy.

Hope it's doable for you. Sending you calming vibes & a hug.

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
BonnieR

A year ago I lighted up some scans and the only way to diagnose was a biopsy. The location was such that I had to have a surgical proceedure in hospital. The area could not be reached by needle. Unfortunatly for me, the frozen section was MISdiagnosed as lung cancer so they removed a lobe of my lung on the spot. Later it was determined that I only had old pneumonia that was causing the alarming scans.
Anyhow, that is my tale of woe. Had it gone correctly, I would have been discharged a few hours later. Instead I ended up in hospital with chest tubes for a few days.
Are you having a needle biopsy or a surgical one?
My story is not the norm! So keep the faith!

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:00 PM   #5
Ceesun

I, too, wondered if you are having a needle biopsy or a surgical one? I have had two needle biopsies of the lung done and quite honestly they were not bad at all. They gave me something to relax and I really did not feel a thing. They kept me for about one hour and did a follow-up xray to be certain the lung did not collapse and I was out the door. I was told no heavy lifting and to take it easy the remainder of the day and that was the extent of it. I wish you good luck. Ceesun
Ceesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #6
flynny

Sending you lots of hugs to get you through this time!

Jan '07 felt lump (PCP "thought" it was a cyst)
Nov '07 "bloody nipple discharge" (OB-GYN "thought" I had fibrocystic breasts and told me to take 400 IU's of Vitamin E)
Note: Mother was dx w/BC in 2004 (ER/PR+ & HER2+) & mets to brain April 2007 (she passed away June 17, 2008)
2/1/08: Biopsy Dx: DCIS (age 34)
2/22/08: Surgery R-side Mast
2/28/08: 1st Path Rpt Dx: IDC 1.8cm tumor & DCIS 2.1cm
2nd Path Rep DFCI - IDC (0.9cm) & DCIS (2.1cm)
Stage 1b/Gr 3; ER+(5%), PR+(2%), HER-2+++
5/5 nodes NEG; Clear Margins
Chemo: AC 4 rnds (1st one 3/31/08) finished 6/2/08
TH (Taxol/Hercepin) 12 weeks (1st one 6/25/08) finished 9/8/08
Herceptin 9 mos (every 3 weeks) finished 6/8/09
BRCA 1/2 NEG
Bio: Age 39, married to James 1999, 2 boys 12 & 10 yo
flynny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #7
Joan M

Jessica,

Glad to hear that you're doing well.

I had a needle biopsy of my lung which was not bad. I was on my stomach and the biopsy was done through my back.

Spoiler alert: Potential for collapsed lung, which I didn't have. Potential to cough up blood, which happened to me. But it wasn't bad because I was warned and therefore knew in advance what to expect. Just a little tickle and a slight cough. I just let it drip onto the sheet in order not to move during the procedure.

The interventional radiologist was great. He told me what he was doing step-by-step, which I appreciated. No surprises.

After the procedure I was in the hospital for four hours and given a few x-rays to determine whether my lung collapsed.

Good luck!

Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:58 PM   #8
Jean

Jessica,
I cannot tell you what to expect but I wanted to send my best wishes to you. Please let us know how you
are.....

Kind Regards,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #9
Jackie07

Jessica,

Here's a link to the subject:

http://www.webmd.com/lung/lung-biopsy

Sending you good thoughts on a benign result and getting back to your treatment soon.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #10
Ellie F

Hi Jessica
Just wanted to say how happy I am to hear you are doing so well.
Hope the procedure goes well. Please let us know how you do.
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:17 PM   #11
tricia keegan

Sending good wishes Jessica! x
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:38 PM   #12
jml

Thank you everyone for your feedback & well-wishes

There's been a small change in plans - instead of a CT guided needle biopsy of the lung nodules, the Pulmonologist I met with is
suggesting we do the biopsy via bronchoscope. He says it's less invasive & lower risk of SE's and it'll give him (rather, the Interventional Pulmonologist) a chance to look around and a couple of other areas that are looking curious, like the lower R lobe where there's atelactasis and wherever it is that they see "a touch of pneumonia or pneumonitis."
One of my concerns is that this new Pulmonologist is with a different hospital system than where I've been getting my care for the past 8 years and is ~25 miles away. I just don't want any more delays in my treatment, waiting for the biopsy results to come back and deciding what/when I can resume or change treatment.
I've been off all treatment, including Vitamin H for 7 weeks now, and according to the study coordinator, if all goes as planned and I do switch to the other study, I won't start the new regimen until ~4/25.
And I've noticed that my bp has been a touch lower than normal for the past few weeks (90/55 today vs 108/76) and my resting heart rate is higher - high 80's when I wake up & 90's-100 when I'm up and about, so I'm concerned about my heart & cardiac output. I'm super lethargic and get unusually SOB carrying groceries, walking any distance/up stairs & hills. Any thoughts?
I've mentioned this to everyone, but no one seems terribly concerned. It bugs the crap out of me bc I'm not able to be active, even walking my dog to the park or participating in any of the classes I teach.

Thanks again everyone, for being part of my world.
Keep the Faith~
Jessica
jml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:08 PM   #13
Lien

Dear Jessica,

It sounds as if you have pneumonia. It would explain the abnormalities on the scans and the symptoms you describe. I know at least 3 others who turned out to have nothing more alarming than a low grade case of pneumonia.
A friend had the open biopsy, which fortunately was b9, but it took her a very long time to recover from the surgery. I think it would be better to get a very good pulmonologist than hurry up the process or travel less far. If you trust the doc and if you have time to drive there, I think that would be your best option. I don't think waiting a bit longer would make much difference. However, I'm not a doctor, so perhaps you should discuss this dilemma with a doctore you trust.

Hope this helps a little. I know it's hard playing the waiting game.

Hugs

Jacqueline

Just my 2 cts.
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #14
Barbara H.

Hi Jessica,
It could very well be pneumonitis. It is a rare side effect of TDM-1 that happened to me. It was confirmed with a surgical lung biopsy. I was put out and had to stay overnight. I did not immediately go off the drug. However, they watched my scans and eventually after a year I had to stop that treatment. Make sure that you have a good surgeon if you have to go that route.
I wish all the best for you.
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:27 PM   #15
schoolteacher

Jessica,

Glad to hear from you. I had a needle biopsy February 2010. It wasn't bad. When my markers and CT scans started to light up in June and July, it was assumed that I had cancer in my lungs. He did not want to biopsy in August. Nothing had shown up in February.

I have been doing the EMILIE trial since September. I am on the Tykerb Xeloda arm. I am glad to hear your good results on TDM1.

I get my treatment at Kennestone in Marietta. I may ask the doctor to see if I could have the type of biopsy that you were recommended to have. Which hospital did they recommend?

Please let me know how the biopsy goes. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks for posting.

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote