HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-12-2005, 09:44 PM   #1
*_Kim_*

Has anyone read the ACS ariticle about BC lab testing highlights Need for accuracy. It basically states that a certain percentage of women tested Her2 postive could be false! The labs were not credible labs and therefor diagnosed incorrectly? I am Her2+3 and very concerned about this latest news. I don't know where my tumors were sent and tested. I just assumed the diagnosis was correct. Now I am taking this tomorrow to talk to Onc. about the new findings. Kind of scary. You never think about this kind of stuff. It said that 20% of women now being treated with Herceptin may have been inaccurately tested and may not benefit from the drug! I will do #3 of AC tomorrow, taxol (4) and then Herceptin (1 year). I am just breezing through it, shocking everyone!

"God didn't bring cancer to ME, God brought ME through cancer!"

Be Blessed

Kim
Old 06-12-2005, 11:10 PM   #2
AlaskaAngel

I've seen the info too. Looking at the bright side, the necessity for verification is at least now being acknowledged -- if only in terms of verification by FISH or CISH for mets, and not for original classification. One wonders how many of people have been either overtreated or undertreated the first time, all for a difference in cost of less than $100 per person tested, less than the cost of a mammogram or x-ray.

A.A.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:44 AM   #3
macy98

To AA, Yeah, I'm not sure of the lingo quite yet! I was just diagnosed in March, so not sure of all the things your referring to? I assume mets means metastisized? Mine did not, just 3 of my lymph nodes positive. Don't know too much about the cost of things, but am getting bills daily due to the 80/20 with ins. I was in the process of finding a part time job when this happened, now I'm afraid of being turned away! It's hard to live on one income with 3 kids, but we're managing, God is providing. Take care.....Kim
Old 06-13-2005, 12:29 PM   #4
Cheryl

Kim - A word of advice
You should talk to your onc. about doing Herceptin concurrently with the Taxol once a week for twelve weeks followed by the additional 40 weeks of herceptin alone. I know it doesn't sound too thrilling right now to add four weeks to your chemo, but I had to make this decision too. There is strong evidence that women who have the Herceptin together with Taxol versus following chemo benefit much more from it. I have had three doses of my 12 weekly, and I am breezing through it. The Taxol dose is cut into 1/3 each week and side effects have been minimal, especially for me who had a really rough time with the AC.

Best Wishes,
Cheryl
Old 06-13-2005, 08:12 PM   #5
macy98

Cheryl,

Thanks for your reply. Went for #3 AC today and did talk to him about the findings and latest news about inaccutate lab results. He assured me that mine were sent to a credible lab and since I was +3, it's usually accurate. The women who test between a 0 and 1, they may want to retest. But I'm definate highest grade! I have one more AC then 4 Taxols and then 52 (once a week) Herceptin. I am happy I am getting the chance to have what sounds like a miracle drug! Sounds corny but hope the heart holds up cause I don't want any interuptions, want to do it ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!