HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-18-2010, 08:43 AM   #1
tharrel

Her2+ and Her2-

I had my last herceptin treatment on June 25, 2010! Yea!!! I had echocardiogram on July 23, 2010. Went to visit my oncologist on July 30, 2010. She said that everything is great. She also mentioned that I was Her2+ and Her2-. From what I understood this is not normal diagnosis. I am a little confused. Is there any material I can read on being diagnosed with both?

She said that outlook is good for me since I had chemo/herceptin treatment.

I know I should have asked more questions, but as long as I was getting treatment and better, I just didn't ask.
tharrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:54 AM   #2
tricia keegan

Re: Her2+ and Her2-

Tharrel, congratulations on your last treatment!!

Did you have two tumours? She may have meant one was her2- and the other positive perhaps?
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
tharrel

I only had one tumor. Ran three separate tests: tested positive first time, negative second time, and positive third time.
Doctor said that I was a special case.

Now wondering what that means to my prognosis.

I had double mastectomy May 2009. Started my chemo (taxotere, carboplactin, herceptin) June 2009. Finished the chemo part of therapy in October 2009, but continued herceptin until June 2010.

I opted for the reconstruction to start when had first surgery. I finished my reconstruction in March 2010.

I am doing well, just wondering what it meant when one tumor was both positive and negative.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:32 AM   #4
tricia keegan

If you tested positive twice it would seem to me you'd be her2+ rather than both, I hope someone else can decipher what this means as I'm really not sure as have'nt come across this before.
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
Old 08-18-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
tharrel

I had not heard of this before either. Doctor said that one part of tumor tested positive and another tested negative. Of course I was treated for positive, which in turn covered the negative!

Thanks I appreciate your wanting to help with this.

There are not many support groups around where I live. We live about 3 hours from the hospital and doctor that I go to for treatment. I am feeling now like I should have went to support group meetings. Just thought I could do it on my own.

Learning the hard way I guess. I have family and friends that mean well, but sometimes just don't think they get it.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:29 PM   #6
tricia keegan

Well, I'm sure we all get it here and there's lots of support too, sorry I could'nt help with your question though as just had'nt heard of this before.

I also wanted to go it alone and relied on online support groups which were wonderful, however I'm now doing voluntary counselling at my local cancer wellness centre and having seen the support and care survivors get there, regret not availing of this during my own treatment.
I'm sure someone else will be along to help more with your question very soon, but in the meantime post here and get to know everyone, they're a very supportive and informative group that have kept me sane throughout the past five years!!!
2014 Normal Dexa scan