HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #21
kk1

Re: Brain MRI this morning

Just to clarify and expand (pun intended) on the issue of expanders versus implants and MRI-- Many of the expanders have special filling ports that are metallic so they are easy to detect (you would not want them missing and accidentally sticking a needle in the sack rather than the filling port) and would be heated by an MRI. Metals and MRI are not a good thing, which is why they ask if and where you have any metal parts. KS gals problem is probably unique because she never received actual implants. The final implants do not usually have metal ports--only expanders have ports.

KS gal, my prayers are with you that the MRI will be good once you get the expander removed....or maybe you should think or discuss with the plastic surgeon just finishing the reconstruction. The inconvenience of having the expander removed might be similar to just putting in an implant.

Of course, as my dad use to say, I am talking through my hat as I am flat chested no reconstruction, as I found I was stage 4 before I had my mastectomy,and like you at the time thought why bother....10 years latter I still often wonder if I did not second guess myself and consider going in for that reconstruction after all. Wishing you good scans.

All the best
Sept 2004 NED-3 herceptin, zoladex,aromasin
Dec 2006 recurrence in liver
Feb. 2007 liver resection left lobe removed-herceptin, zoladex, switch to Arimidex
NED 16 months added zometa
May 2008 new lesion in liver 15mm Tykerb/Xeloda/Herceptin
July 2008 stable...yeah!
Sept 2008 NED again !!!
Jan 2009 fell off the wagon again spot back in the liver and fell out of menopause.
Feb 2009 RFA and 2nd liver resection to remove spot ---back on the NED wagon again continue Tykerb, Herceptin.
March 2009- oophrectomy added Femara and bi-annual Zometa
May 2009- scans clear but suspect lung nodule
June 2009- Lung VAT wedge resection to remove nodule---fungus ball not cancer!! phew
Aug 2009- NED
Nov 2009-scans again clear YAHOO!
March 2010- scans clear continue Tykerb, Herceptin, Femara, Zometa Q6mo
Nov 2009-Nov 2019 scans clear done every 6 months

Feb 2020 - Fell out of the NED wagon hard! single liver lesions and large infect cyst. 3 weeks in ICU.
March 2021- 5 cycles perjeta, herceptin, navelbine. lesion stable.
June 2021 - 3rd liver resection to remove single liver lesion. Continued perjeta, herceptin.
Nov. 2021- PET scan show 5 hot nodes near liver. 9 cycles Kadcyla
June 2021- PET scan shows progression. nodes size unchanged but even more SUV uptake.

July 2021- start ENHERTU
kk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #22
Cat

I am tired just reading that. I don't know if I could laughed until maybe tonight so I give you credit for putting it all in perspective. Like Denise said it is very unlikely things would go haywire in such a short time though I understand the fear and have felt it too. Praying for smooth times for you in these next steps as it sounds like you've have your share of missteps and deserve some easy times and good news.
Hugs, Cathy
bilat mastectomy w/TRAM
32 rads
9/08 recurrance 4 sternal nodes
mediastinoscopy, able to remove 3
taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin, x6
continue herceptin indefinately
5/10 recurrance in same node/area
mediastinoscopy, removed nodes
added tykerb
27 rads
10/18/10 PET shows inflammation no active disease
8/2011 recurrence one right mediastinal node, xeloda and proton radiation to node.
D/C xeloda due to toxicity
12/5 PET scan clear
2/2012 colon blockage, breast cancer
(never thought it could go there! thought I was constipated)
start abraxane, herceptin, continue tykerb
10/2012 Kidney ablation (renal CA!)
3/2013 CT and biopsy R kidney (BC met to R kidney)
4/4/2013 Begin Kadcyla
7/30/13 Craniotomy cerebellar mets, 1.7cm 3cm
Sept 4-6 post op cyberknife
Sept 23 ablation right kidney (blow up pesky breast ca met)
Oct headaches MRI Oct 10 (only surgical changes ! Yay!)
Short of breath. CT, pulmonary function, echo
New crap in right lung heart good. Pooh!
12/13 DC kadcyla. Begin halaven
2/14 MRI brain NED Yay!
4/3/14 CT mostly stable but breast mets r kidney growing
4/16/14 ablation right kidney again
Continue halaven, tykerb
dc halaven gemzar?
2nd opinion May 14
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:09 PM   #23
BonnieR

I told my husband your story. He wants to know why they can't just stick your head in the machine??!! Lol He kinda has a point
Keep the faith

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:28 AM   #24
KsGal

Denise..my last scan was three months ago...Im just hoping it doesn't take months to get this all fixed where I CAN have a scan. I hate not knowing what those little creepers are doing up there.
Bonnie, my Mom said the exact same thing. "Well, stop letting them stick your chest in there! It's a brain scan, not a foob scan". Foob is for fake boob. In fact, for the rest of the day she called me "doughnut foob". I asked my radiation oncologist about open MRI and if there was an MRI machine that could just do my head and not my chest...and apparently neither is an option. So tell your husband he should get to designing one post haste! lol Could be a lot of money in that.
No-one called me back today, so I will be on the phone bright and early calling the plastic surgeons office. I have an appointment with with medical oncologist tomorrow and herceptin as well. Hopefully this visit is less frustrating than the last!
December 2012 was diagnosed with five brain mets, and had whole brain radiation.
Around July 2014 two mets in brain, one a residual spot and one new one growing in size. Received Cyberknife on both areas
Clear/NED
April 2015 remain NED
KsGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:03 AM   #25
vballmom

Oh my goodness, what a day! I hope you get this all straightened out soon. Meanwhile, I'll pray for a silver lining - that having the expanders out will give you more comfort and that those pesky brain mets retreat while you wait.
vballmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #26
Rolepaul

The manufacturer of the expanders should have informed the surgeon about this. It is a real common issue. The good news is that the growth in the brain should not be an issue if there is a three week delay. The second good part is there appears to be new methods to handle brain issues. There is an Intrathecal Perjeta clinical trial with multiple sites if the Gamma knife does not whack a mole them dead. Worry, but not too much. Keep on going as the "Luck Balance" has to swing back your way.
Rolepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:33 PM   #27
v-ness

holy crap! what a TRIP. thank god you noticed the donuts, is all i can say. you've been through enough without internal donut burning. i don't blame you for being scared of the time wasting that will now go on and what the hell was that plastic surgeon thinking??? ugh. i hope you can get this resolved quickly. i am glad you could laugh at the situation because laughter seriously is the best medicine and keeps you sane. looking forward to hearing that you've gotten the MRI and you're stable! v
2/10 began 7 wks of radiation
6/10 mom dies of primary peritoneal ovarian cancer
8/10 got my last remaining ovary out
10/10 mammogram all clear
3/11 MRI shows 5 'spots' in right breast, largest 1 cm unidentifiable on US
needle biopsy proved the largest to be old inflamed cyst -phew!
7/10 switched to Arimidex
8/9 switched to Femara - allergic to arimidex
Femara made me lose hair quickly so switched to Aromasin
Aromasin made my hair fall out too and the bone pain was too much.
back on Tamoxifen 1/2013.
blood clot from trains and planes 5/2014 so on coumadin per onco for as long as i am on tamoxifen
tamoxifen was supposed to be up with my 5 yrs in may but my boyfriend was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer so i am staying on tamoxifen indefinitely because i want some ammo against BC, given the stress. lost my husband in only 10 wks in 2007 to stage 4 esophageal cancer.
cancer's screwing with another man i love
2/2016 - 6yrs in remission, off tamoxifen and off coumadin - yay!
v-ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #28
SusanN

Ohhh Myyyy dearest ksGal!! Your "mess" has a great "Message!!"
I do hope your writing a journal...or something...what will this "chapter" be called??
Know you are in my prayers...God is most certainly in ALL OF THIS!!
1/4/13 Rexcision, NO CLEAR MARGINS!! :(
2/11/13 Mastectomy with Expander Placed
2/15/13 INFECTION at Mastectomy site...emergency Surgery!!! Expander removed :(
DX: DCIS, IDC, Stage 2a, 2.7cm, 1/5 nodes positive
ER/PR-, HER2+++
3/28/13 Port placed
4/1/13 Begin 6 Cycles TCH Therapy
4/1/14 Finished Herceptin!!
SusanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #29
jaykay

What a day! At least you can laugh a bit. I would have totally freaked out - find me an ativan :-).
Interesting thing is - I was scheduled for an MRI for a 3 year back issue, told the lab I had a port and tissue expanders, no red flag. Then I thought to call my ps' office and they told me to definitely NOT have an MRI until the tissue expanders are out. Mine use magnets (metal) to find the fill hole as obviously your do. Would have been a big mess - to put it mildly.

KK1 has a point - it's still surgery to take the expanders out; you should look into implants. Can't believe you've had expanders all this time. I can't wait to get rid of mine and get this elephant off my chest.

Best,
Janis
BRCA 1 and 2 negative
October, 2012: Bi Mast with tissue expanders, port placement
Final Path: IDC 2.8cm, DCIS, 1/4 sentinal nodes positive (@#$%). Stage IIB
Nov 29, 2012: Begin TCH/6x/every 3 wks, H for 1 year/every 3 weeks.
March 14, 2013: Finished chemo
April 9, 2013: Begin radiation 28x
May 22, 2013: Finished rads
June 1st, 2013: Started Aromasin for 5 yrs.
July 15, 2013: Switched to Letrozole (Femara). Probably for the rest of my life
October 16, 2013: Exchange surgery
October 31, 2013: Finished Herceptin
December 5, 2013: Port removed
Glad this year is over!
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #30
jellybean

Wow, what an ordeal!! I believe I was told in advance that I could not do a brain MRI with my expanders in. I think they have some metal in them.

If you are going to have surgery to remove the expanders anyhow, why not put in implants? They probably could give you a big fill now that would do the trick. (I think I only had one or two fills before my exchange surgery.)
jellybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:53 PM   #31
yanyan

Same thing happend to me last year in June when i went for my 1st brain MRI.. As soon as my chest was in the tube, i could feel my expanders getting tighter so i told the tech who stopped the procedure right away. I too, had to delay reconstruction due to diseases progression to skin. So the metal part which your plastic surgeon uses to locate the spot to expand your expanders reacts to the magnet of the tube.

Instead i had a brain CT. It is not as accurate as an MRI but was better than nothing i thought. If you are on tykerb and herceptin only, your counts should be fine for expander removal or replacement. Best wishes for you !
BMX with immediate recontruction 5/2011 Lattismus Flap- Dx stage 3c 10/23 nodes
9/11 Radiation
3/12 Local recurrence to skin stage IV
Whole body scan CLEAR
4/12 Tykerb & Xeolda Skin mets slowly regressing
8/12 PET & Brain CT Clear
5/13 Skin mets progressing
6/13 PET scan chestwall recurrence in contralateral anxillary,internal mammary and ipsilateral subpectoral nodes
6/13 kadcyla
10/13 whole body scan -clear NED. previously resolved skin rash gone but 3 new lesions. Biopsy confirmed for skin recurrence
11/13 to 02/14 tykerb & herceptin
02/14 add abraxane/gemzar, 2 weeks on 1 week off at reduced dose
05/14 whole body PET clear/ brain CT clear but skin mets are getting worse, ready for new chemo
05/14 navelbine perjeta herceptin
07/14 skin mets progressing red rash worse
08/14 wide local excision with diep flap to close wound. Final path shows 2 positive margins showing inflammatory carcinoma Going back to surgery in 2 weeks
09/01/14 resection- clear margins
3 weeks after 2nd surgery, a new nodular rash found near drain incision with 2 small red spots behind the chest wall biopsy on 10/1. Positive for breast cancer
Radiation 11/2014 with xeloda then weekly cisplatin
11/14 brain MRI clean
12/14 finished 33 radiations burnt and very painful. Bedridden for 1 week
12/14 t current Herceptin and perjeta only
02/15 rash on upper back right side skin mets radiation planned
02/15 staring electron radiation *35
Stopped at 30 due to severe skin burn, resumed 10 days later
05/15 red patches appeared in between previously radiated area, skin mets. Ct and brain Mri clear. Simulation planned, radiation to start after trip to Alaska.
05/24 new spot identified in scar line on previously radiated reconstructed breast- electron on both side chest wall area and scar line
07/15 multiple skin and lung recurrence begin halaven
11/15 cough much better but very tired on halaven and starting to see some new red skin blotches-suspicious
11/15 heading to China for immune therapy
yanyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:15 AM   #32
KsGal

Im so glad that someone else had this experience too, makes me feel less like a freak.
I just think the weird thing is...I've already had four brain MRIs with these expanders in. Ive always told them I had the little BB type things in my expanders, and they always said no issue. Well, I haven't always told them, once I was unconscious.
Anyway, onward and upward. Talking to the plastic surgeon in the morning, who was going to go over his surgical schedule. Definitely going to try for little implants, since I only had two fills in my expanders. They are roughly half the size of my original breasts, but I am so totally fine with that.
December 2012 was diagnosed with five brain mets, and had whole brain radiation.
Around July 2014 two mets in brain, one a residual spot and one new one growing in size. Received Cyberknife on both areas
Clear/NED
April 2015 remain NED
Old 08-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #33
KsGal

Just a quick update....Went to consult with the plastic surgeon at his office. He put a double fill in the both sides of the expander, which has made me totally miserable, and scheduled me for surgery to put in the permanent implants on Tuesday. Im happy that he worked me in so quickly, and I should be able to get a brain MRI in the next week or so. The double fill actually has made me quite uncomfortable. Can't sleep very well. My skin itches a LOT and my whole chest just hurts in general. Will be glad to get these out of there!
Clear/NED
April 2015 remain NED
Old 08-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #34
SusanN

Thanks for your update! Glad to hear your plastic surgeon is taking care of you...sorry your feeling uncomfortable...yet knowing you will soon be able to have your MRI is very good news...especially with no DONUTS!!!

Will be sending prayers your way!!
1/4/13 Rexcision, NO CLEAR MARGINS!! :(
2/11/13 Mastectomy with Expander Placed
2/15/13 INFECTION at Mastectomy site...emergency Surgery!!! Expander removed :(
DX: DCIS, IDC, Stage 2a, 2.7cm, 1/5 nodes positive
ER/PR-, HER2+++
3/28/13 Port placed
4/1/13 Begin 6 Cycles TCH Therapy
4/1/14 Finished Herceptin!!
SusanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #35
'lizbeth

I think I'm laughing here . . . you are worried about your brain, and the plastic surgeon puts in a double fill - talk about priorities!

The brain may be broken, but the breasts are looking good, real good!

I so hope that your brain has gotten to NED, and with the implants in it could become quite the celebration.

Good luck!

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #36
IrvineFriend

Reading this with my jaw dropped! Unbelievable!!! You have my respect for how you're handling all this. Hope you get your scan so you can have that worry put to bed. Praying for you! You're so amazing!

-Julie

Diagnosed with DCIS Oct. 2012

Bilateral Dec. 19, 2012
IDC, ER/PR-, Her2+++, Grade 3
Stage IIIa
15.6 cm
4/14 nodes + macrometastases
First thing each morning, I try on my bathing suit. Then, nothing worse can happen the rest of the day.
IrvineFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #37
NEDenise

Yikes!
Do you have pain meds for the chest discomfort?
Don't be shy! Take them!

You are definitely a she-ro these days!!
Sending prayers for your comfort and peace of mind!
Along with a big cyber-hug...
Denise
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:33 AM   #38
KsGal

Thank you, ladies, for all the warm wishes and kind thoughts.

I went into the plastic surgeons office saying I didn't care what my chest looked like..just get the expanders out and put in whatever fits in there! He said he wanted to use a certain size implant, and I needed a fill to be able to get it in there. I thought...whatever..just hurry up! He told me he was putting 60 ml in each, but ended up putting 120. They look ridiculous...all up around my neck practically and hard as a ROCK. The part that is hurting me is the part that kind of goes into the armpit. Also, because its under the muscle, muscle cramps in the breast. Woot!
I can't wait until the surgery to get those damn things out of there. And Denise, yes, Im popping Vicodin at least twice a day. It's the only thing that works!
Prayers and positive energy all around. Big hugs! I'll let everyone know when the brain MRI is...hopefully those two little buggers are gone!!!
Clear/NED
April 2015 remain NED
Old 08-07-2013, 07:05 AM   #39
KsGal

Had my surgery yesterday and everything went fine, thank God. Quite a bit of pain just under the bottom of the implants where they put some stitched into my muscle, but all in all feeling pretty well. Being doped up on Percocet certainly isn't hurting me any.
Today Im headed off for my Herceptin, and then going by the plastic surgeon's office so he can check out the incisions. Going to stop by the radiation oncologist to schedule the brain MRI, and with any kind of luck I won't have another doctors appointments for a few weeks. However, if the brain scan is worse than last time...we start Cyberknife. Thank you again for the prayers and well wishes. Im sure sending prayers for each and every one of you.
Clear/NED
April 2015 remain NED
Old 08-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #40
'lizbeth

KsGal,

Thanks for the update. I'm so glad you have gotten the new implants in. No more breast Donuts for you!

You will want to massage the pectoral muscles if they are being so stretched you might have contractions in muscles fibers that pull at the attachments at the sternum, clavicle and upper arm. Fish around for anything that feels like a half cooked macaroni or a pea. Compress for 30 to 60 seconds. If the pain gets worse just lighten the pressure. Or you can stroke across it to get more circulation into the fiber. The pain should stop when the fiber releases.

Or visit a massage therapist that knows Neuromuscular therapy. After all you've experienced you deserve a massage!

I can't imagine bad news about the brain MRI. You have prayers for a good results. May God bless you and heal you from metastasis.
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote