HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-10-2012, 09:05 AM   #21
Emelie B

Re: Pallative Care

Oh my goodness, I had no idea my post would cause such a stir! I am sorry for upsetting you all so much.
Just let me say to those of you who suggest that I am depressed and need professional help, that I am seeing a psychologist and I am on Lexapro. I really am not depressed ladies.
What I am, is determined to not be a burden to my family. I know how this ends, as do you, and I want to do it on my terms if possible.
I feel really good now, as I have not had anything for 2 weeks and I am starting feel like a human being again.
There are many reasons for my decision but like I said, I will not be a burden to my family.
I asked my onc about trials, don't qualify for TDM-1 because I have not had Tykerb and he does not think I can tolerate it, and he said Pertussamab (sp) is going back to trials and funding from the government is really tight, so he has no idea when it may be approved. He also said if I continued with chemos, statistically I would have about 12-14 mnths.
So, I am done with toxic chemos. No more.
I hope to live in realtive comfort and make each and every day with my family and friends count.
Our trip to Pais in mid-May is my biggest goal and I am also going to meet Michka for a cup of wonderful coffe and enjoy the view.
So, you see, I have plans and I am doing well.
If you think I am scared, well of course I am. Who is not afraid of the end to some extent? But I can honestly tell you I am at peace with my decision and my husband and I are moving forward.
Thank you all for your concern and your caring thoughts.
I will stay in touch and hopefully I can shed some much needed light on the pallative care process.
Best to all,
Emelie
March 2007-MRM with 8 of 14 lymph node involvement
May 2007-36 Rads
Sept. 2007- Stopped Herceptin
Jan. 2010- CT scan shows enlarged lymph nodes in sternum and lung involvement
Feb. 2010-PET scan shows mets to liver, lung, lymph nodes and bone
Feb. 2010- Started Herceptin/Taxol and Zometa
April 2010-PET scan clear. Herceptin and Zometa
June 2010- Stopped Herceptin continue Zometa and still NED
August 2010-Back on Herceptin and Zometa every 3 weeks
August 13, 2010- Had another port placed
August 24, 2010- PET scan clear. Herceptin and Zometa every three weeks
Nov. 2010-PET scan clear
Feb. 2011-Brain MRI clear
March 2011- PET scan clear
May 2011- PET scan clear
Sept. 2011- PET, Mammo, Bone Scan all clear- Herceptin only
March 2012-Recurrence in lungs and tumor around pota hepatis artery. Added Navelbine to herceptin
April 2012- Entered palliative care
June 5, 2012-Entered hospice care
Planning my memorial
Emelie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #22
Lien

Re: Palliative Care

Dear Emilie,

I too respect your decision. Sometimes it is harder to have no control over your future than deciding to stop treatment. But for those who are still completely focused on prolonging their life, this decision must seem very drastic. It is the opposite of everything they are focussed on.

I remember how my mother struggled with that. Her decision to have no more therapy gave us the chance of spending time with her, walking the last bit of her life journey by her side. It gave her and us peace. She was not the kind of person to wither away and suffer. She was the kind of person who needed to take matters in her own hand and decide when enough was enough.

I have no idea whether it is like that for you. I just know that we are all different and we all have to walk our own path. I hope you find peace while walking yours.

Love

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:41 AM   #23
sarah

Dearest Emelie,
I wish the best for you and your family.
Never forget that you can change your mind.
I wish you to be pain free and find some joy.
You are very brave to have bared your soul to us and to bring up such an important and difficult subject.
you have been inspiring and have touched my life.
I embrace you.
Stay in touch.
Big hugs and love
Sarah
Old 04-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #24
StephN

Wink Re: Palliative Care

Dear Emilie B -

Thank you for your honest and candid post.
(I took the liberty of making a spelling correction on the thread title - to Palliative - with an "i".)

I am sure that the varying reactions come from differing points of view, some of which correspond to those here who are continuing treatment through thick and thin.

Your disease burden does not seem to be so large and numerous that it could not have a chance for control. This situation seems to be partly the cause of the "speechless" reponses, without that exactly being said.

I don't see any current marker numbers, but assume you have current scans to watch the changes by.

Amy's comment: "One of the affirmations I listen to says something like, "More and more, I realize that I can heal myself and live, or I can heal myself and die. My physical condition is not a factor in my wholeness." When I first heard that it was jarring."

That is the same tape I listened to every night as I fell asleep when I was beginning my mets fight against raging liver mets. I asked for healing of my spirit as well as my body. Strong prayers several times a day became my routine. I threw myself into my healing with all my might. If the good Lord might spare me because I was needed by my family and parents, I would give my body over to His plan.

Having stayed alive has not been without its trials, but I managed to make it through them all up to now. My family has never made me feel like I have been a burden, and I do all I can for them with the energy and strength I have, which is not constant. Some days are better than others.

Enjoy your trip to France and the beautiful spring weather that is upon us. My aunt also stopped treatment for a slow growing kind of breast cancer and lived for almost FIVE more years. She did use some alternative methods, and that was nearly 15 years ago.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.

Last edited by StephN; 04-10-2012 at 06:05 PM..
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #25
Ceesun

Emilie, I wish only good things for you, but I respectfully disagree with your statement....you know how this ends, we all do. I believe only God knows how it ends. There are those who are statistical abnormalities and those who defy the odds... I would mention Christine, our founder, as one and there are many others. I met another one, years ago, at an Ingredients for Healing conference well before my own diagnosis. He beat pancreatic cancer and survived for 12 years...maybe more...impressive. I wish that we all could do that on this board. For myself, during treatment I have seen my daughter marry, my first grandchild born, my other daughter graduate from college and have gone on a trip of a lifetime...much on my bucket list. Is my situation crappy ....yes! but I still find my joy. I hope you have much joy. I wish you would give thought to a little more treatment and yet I do understand enough is enough. Go with God and I say this because I care. Not trying to be preachy and I hope this does not come across that way. Peace, Ceesun
Ceesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #26
Mary Jo

Hi Emelie,

I echo what so many have so eloquently expressed here. All posts were filled with much love and respect for you and your decision. I, too, love and respect you. Decisions such as yours can only come from you.

I am confident this decision was not taken lightly and that much soul searching and communication took place with the One who holds your life in His Hands.

I pray for you Emelie...I pray that Peace would fill you and that your "journey" would be filled with all those things that bring true happiness.

Love,

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:29 AM   #27
schoolteacher

Emelie,

I support your decision. I hope all of your days are feeled with peace and love.

I saw from your signature that you have also been doing Navelbine. I did 10 weeks of Navelbine during November, December, and January, and the fatique was really bad. During the time I was off for Xmas break, I stayed in the bed most of the time. I told my doctor I felt so hopeless. The hopeless feeling came about four weeks of me taking the treatment. He offered an anti-depressant. I would not take them. Toward the end of January the doctor changed my treatment to Abraxane. He decided the Navelbine was beating me up to much. I cried in the chemo chair. This was the first time I had ever cried in the office. I did not want to lose my hair again. My pride got in my way. After being off the Navelbine for a couple of weeks I began to feel better. I am not doing the standared treatment of three weeks on and one week off. I do the treatment every two weeks. I did not have any appetite on the Navelbine, and I think this was one of the things that was making me feel so bad. Like you, it has been in my lungs since July of 2010, and it moved back into my bones in October.

Emelie, you are in my thoughts and prayers. If there is any way I can help you on your journey, please let me know. I don't talk about how I feel a lot on the board or what is going on with my treatment, so the paragraph above was very hard for me to write. I know I do not know how you truly feel at this time, but remember you are in my thoughts.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #28
Mtngrl

This is such an amazing conversation. So many wise comments. So much love. I feel so privileged to be a part of this community.

It calls to mind something Anne Lamott said in Bird by Bird; Some Instructions on Writing and Life:

"I remind myself nearly every day of something that a doctor told me six months before my friend Pammy died. This was a doctor who always gave me straight answers. When I called on this one particular night, I was hoping she could put a positive slant on some distressing developments. She couldn't, but she said something that changed my life. 'Watch her carefully right now,' she said, 'because she's teaching you how to live.'

"I remind myself of this when I cannot get any work done: to live as if I am dying, because the truth is we are all terminal on this bus. To live as if we are dying gives us a chance to experience some real presence. Time is so full for people who are dying in a conscious way, full in the way that life is for children. They spend big round hours."

Emelie,

I wish you as many big, round hours as humanly possible. We're all going to die, sooner or later. But not everyone really manages to live.

L'chaim.

Love,
Amy
Mtngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:21 AM   #29
Pray

Dear Emelie,

Please forgive my first post. I didn't get it until I read Jacqueline and Steph's post about where most of us are..Fight! Fight! Fight! I did think at first you were making a drastic turn in your care. I see know that your way is just as graceful as Courtney's, She fought till she could fight no more and hanging on by the grace of God. You too have been through so much. You seem to have clarity that I just can't comprehend right now, but I sure hope to some day.

As for being a burden I don't know about that one. I had the honor of helping to care for 3 of my brothers and my mother before they died. We had good and bad times but the good always out weighed the bad. Not for a moment did I ever feel they were a burden. You are obviously a beautiful well loved women, I just can't imagine anyone feeling you were a burden. Love springs eternal. Gods blessings to you and your family. My prayers are with you and your family.

How thoughtful of you to keep us posted.

Peace my friend,

Nancy
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #30
BonnieR

Dear Emelie,I so admire your courage and sense of peace and resolve. Rather than being upset by anything posted, you are gracious and accepting. You have priviledged us with opening such a sensitive subject and making room for discussion.
Only you can make your decision and I respect you for that. It is a joy knowing you. Keep the faith.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #31
MJo

Emelie--Thank you for starting this conversation. You have done us all a favor.
I think you should thoughfully do what you ... and you can always change your mind.

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #32
adelay

May God's grace surround you today and everyday. Much peace and love heading your way~

DX April 2009 age 40
IDC Triple Positive
7 of 14 nodes positive
Lumpectomy May 2009
Port May 2009
AC done in Sept 2009
T done Dec. 2009
Herceptin (should finish Oct. 2010)
Mastectomy January 2010
Radiaition x 33 done April 2010
Tamoxafin for five years
Herceptin done!
Still clear May 2011
3 years out May 2012, all good!
adelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #33
Mandamoo

Dear Emilie
Thank you for starting such an interesting discussion. I too was taken aback by your choice as I look at your history and think - gee you have a good chance of going NED again. But, it is your life and your choice to live it as you wish. There have been so many wise comments here.
I can't relate to the reasons for your choice. I do not see me burdening my family. For me, leaving them will burden them - my husband has said as much to me. I, at this stage cannot imagine stopping treatment - my son said to me yesterday and I don't know why - if you are dead how will I remember you? He is 5 - women here and those met in real life have shown me I can live with this disease for some time - I aim to live so that he can remember me. My experiences with chemo have been tolerable so perhaps my view is colored by this but I also live in hope that I can heal my body and spirit too. I may very well die but I may very well live.
I believe you are wise and have deliberated your choices and made one that for now is right for you - you may change your mind - your choice alone.
May your trip to France be full of wonder.
Amanda
22 February 2011 - Diagnosed Early Breast Cancer IDBC Stage2b (ER/PR -ve, Her2+ve +++) - 38 years old
(L) skin sparing mastectomy with tissue expander, axilla clearance (2/14 affected) clear margins.
Fec*3, Taxotere and herceptin*2 - stopped due to secondary diagnosis

June 24 2011 Stage IV - Skin met, axilla node, multiple lung lesions

Bolero3 trial - Navelbine, Hereptin weekly, daily Everolimus/Placebo
February 2012 - July 2012 Tykerb and Xeloda - skin mets resolved, Lungs initially dramatically reduced but growing again
August 2012 (turn 40!) tykerb and herceptin (denied compassionate use of TDM1) while holidaying in Italy!
September 2012 - January 2013 TDM1 as part of the Th3resa trial - lymph nodes resolved, lungs slowly progressing.
January 2013 - herceptin, carboplatin and Perjeta (compassionate access)
April 2013 - Some progression in lungs and lymph nodes - Abraxane, Herceptin and Perjeta
July 2013 - mixed response - dramatic reduction of most lung disease, progression of smaller lung nodules and cervical and hilar nodes - ? Add avastin.
Mandamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #34
Mary Anne in TX

Coffee in Paris.....it will be magical!

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #35
Laurel

Emelie,

I just read your post and all I can say is that I am not ready to let you go. Sorry. Selfish? Completely.

I want you to stay with us...can't help it.

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #36
Joan M

Emelie, You are a beautiful and brave lady, and I respect your decision. My number isn't up yet and nobody knows when theirs will be, but I would hope to accept it with the grace you are showing. You've been a very valuable contributor to this board. My prayers are with you and your family. Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:32 AM   #37
greenacres

God bless you Emelie. I wish you only the best!
Mammogram: 11/12/09
Call Back Mammo: 11/17/09
Biopsy: 11/25/09
Diagnosis Call: 12/2/09
Partial MX: 12/16/09. 3 LN clean.
6 Cycles Chemo (TCH) Jan-April/10; Herceptin all of 2010; 33 Rads complete 7/10. Herceptin done 12/10.
FOLLOW UPS:
Bil mammo, and Breast MRI 12/10 - CLEAN! (after a second lump was biopsied and BENIGN - showed giant cell reaction?).
Bil mammo 6/11 - CLEAN!
Left mammo 12/11 - CLEAN!
PET/CT scan 4/6/12 - CLEAN!
Bil mammo 8/12 - CLEAN!
November 2012 - Gallbladder Removed.
Bil MRI 2/13 - CLEAN!

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sandragreen
greenacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #38
schoonder

Emelie,

If being burden to family is indeed true, dealing with burden at this time could well prepare family members for coping with same should even greater affliction happen later in life.

No stone should remain unturned in your quest to receive latest state-of-the-art medication, even ones not approved as yet. The following link points to an article of a dying mom who was successful in convincing Genentech to provide her with Pertuzumab, http://www.facebook.com/#!/LindaHurtadoWFTS
An all out effort to request Genentech provide you with both Pertuzumab and T-DM1 investigational drugs, 3rd arm of Marianne phaseIII trial, should be seriously taken under consideration. If company was willing to do it for one, groundwork should be in place to build on that.
schoonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:00 AM   #39
fullofbeans

Emilie

I had written a long message but decided to delete it.

I hope that you get whatever ever you truly want, have a nice trip to paris

35 y/o
June 06: BC stage I
Grade 3; ER/PR neg
Her-2+++; lumpectomies

Aug 06: Stage IV
liver mets: 6 tumours
July 06 to Jan 07: 2*FEC+6*Taxotere; 3*TACE; LITT
March 07- Sept 07: Vaccination trial (phase 2, peptide based) at the UW (Seattle).
Herceptin since 2006
NED til Oct 09
Recurrence Oct 2009: to internal mammary gland since October 2009 missed on Oct and March 2010 scan.. palpable nodes in May 2010 when I realised..
Nov 2011:7 mets to lungs progressing fast failed hercp/tykerb/xeloda combo..

superior vena cava blocked: stent but face remains puffy

April 2012: Teresa Trial, randomised to TDM1
Nov 2012 progressing on TDM1
Dec 2012 blockage of my airways by tumours, obliteration of these blocking tumours breathing better but hoping for more- at mo too many tumours to count in the lungs and nodes.

Dec 2012 Starting new trial S-222611 phase 1b dual egfr her2+ inhibitor.

'Under no circumstances should you lose hope..' Dalai Lama

Last edited by fullofbeans; 04-22-2012 at 10:09 AM..
fullofbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:51 AM   #40
AlaskaAngel

http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/20...sive-treatment

Because there is reasonable belief that supporting the immune system as opposed to treating it with chemotherapy may actually provide longer life that is also less traumatic than the current chemotherapies, it is worthwhile to keep an open mind about whether chemotherapy or palliative care provides the most benefit.

Either choice can shorten the lifespan. Each choice involves ethical principles, and either choice can fail to observe them.
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote