HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 09-07-2009, 08:36 PM   #1
DianneS

Does Herceptin cause sweating?

Hi,

I have had this problem off & on but it seems like frequently throughout the day, I have sweating...maybe a hot flash. Then feeling cold.

I had a herceptin infusion Aug. 27.

I finished the toxic stuff in March 09 & have only been on Herceptin. Could the herceptin be causing this?

I am not on any AI's or Tamoxifen.

I am 56, have had my ovaries removed (2008) due to benign cyst and uterus removed in 1998 because of fibroids. (Ain't much left).

What is causing this irritating sweating? Anxiety? Herceptin? HELP!!!

Diannes
8/9 Richardson/Bloom test
ER+ weakly positive
Alred Score: 4 (suggesting I would strongly benefit from hormone therapy)
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:17 AM   #2
whatz

Re: Does Herceptin cause sweating?

I just had my first Taxol/Herceptin infusion last Thursday. Since then I notice what I can only describe as "Hot flash" followed by being cold. This so far has only happened at night and not during the day. I know it's not fever (feels totally different) but sounds similar to your experience. (I was pre-menopausal before the chemo, still have all inner workings.)
6/09 Adriamycin + Cytoxan 4 treatments (every 3 weeks) followed by Taxol + Herceptin, 1 treatment weekly for 12 weeks, followed by Herceptin for 40 weeks
MRI Brain 4/10 clear
CT Body 4/10 clear
PET Body 2/11 clear
whatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:17 PM   #3
DianneS

Thanks for your reply! I guess it is a common thing after herceptin, then.

I think in my case it was exacerbated by taking Ativan, which can cause hot/cold flashes when going off of it, which I did.

Hope you are feeling better! Take it easy,

Dianne
ER+ weakly positive
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!
Old 11-03-2009, 10:08 AM   #4
margiermc

I sweat at night - soak & wet, but - i am going through a chemical menopause from the chemo. So what do I say,
herceptin or menopause? They will not give me anything to help with hot flashes/night sweats, because of the estrogen thing. It's side effects - but, a miracle that we have herceptin - I'm thankful for that, margie

www.caringbridge.org/visit/margierose

dcis 8/08
lump 9/2/08
liver met 10/08
tch 10/8 - 2/09
vaccine 6/09-11/09

margiermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:10 PM   #5
DianneS

margiemc,

I had my ovaries out in Feb. 2008 then Herceptin Nov. 2008 so I don't know what is causing what either. I think there are antidepressants out which can stop the night sweats. I just don't want to add more pills...but may have to if/when I begin Tamoxifen. Effexor is the antidepressant that was suggested if the hot flashes get to be too much.

Can I ask if you had herceptin right away? I was just curious as to how you developed liver mets....did you get chemo off the bat, right away - or? What were your symptoms? How are you now?

Did the vaccine shrink the mets? Sorry for the many questions.

Dianne
ER+ weakly positive
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Old 11-05-2009, 01:37 PM   #6
schoolteacher

Margie,

The tamoxifen makes me sweat. When your estrogen level goes low it will make you have what I call flashes. That is a sign the tamoxifen is working. That is a good sign.

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:35 PM   #7
DianneS

Sounds like fun. I have not started Tamoxifen yet. Trying to recover from what Herceptin did to me!
Dianne
ER+ weakly positive
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Old 11-05-2009, 04:42 PM   #8
margiermc

Hi, I had DCIS - stage 0 - no invasive cancer, benign lymph node.
A few weeks after rad., I developed strange back pain. Went to
the ER, they found a kidney stone in the urine, then said, we need
to run a scan. Then they found liver met. Liver biopsy showed,
her2 breast cancer. I am not er, pr pos.

My chemo started after the liver met. was found. TCH - 6 rounds - my liver met. were gone after 5 weeks of chemo. Chemo ended, then herceptin every 3 wk.

After 6 mon. of ned, I became eligible for Tumor Vaccine. The vaccine did not shrink - it's just the hope of keeping it away for good.

Night sweats - happen because I did go into meno. after chemo, I'm 47. Even though I am not on tomif. or any hormone related pills,
they will not give me anything. Just sweating is not a big issue in
at my onc. office.

Tumor Markers-
The her2 serum marker test as of today is 5 and normal is anything below 12. My cea is 0. c27-14 c15-15.

Liver enzymes, both alt and ast 15.

Scans - normal.

Now I pray - and - keep busy with some hobbies, writing, ancestry
artwork, and will be going back to work in Jan. - teaching.

I have strong faith and that the Lord will take care of me - you
can visit me and see my pic. at Washington where I get my vaccine - last one is November - www.caringbridge.org/visit/margierose
my story is posted.

Basically I went from stage 0 - stage 4 - in less than 2 mon., pretty scary - but, there is some info. on my web page about DCIS and finding HER2 - can be aggressive.

Hope this explains some things, margie
margiermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:42 PM   #9
DianneS

Thanks Margiermc. You sound like you are holding your own. Yes, I know her2 can be aggressive. My onc verified that it does 'fall off' as far as recurring after 2-5 years....if I can just hang in there that long, mentally, physically and emotionally.

Can anyone get the her2 serum test? My onc has not mentioned that.

About the vaccine...how do they measure that it's working? By the her2 serum test? I admire you so much for being brave and getting the vaccine.

Dianne
ER+ weakly positive
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Old 11-06-2009, 07:07 AM   #10
cynthia1962

Hello all

Newby again, I am only taking herceptin now my chemo treatments are over hallelujah. I had a rough time through all of my treatments especially the 3rd one. I thought I was about to die. Could not eat for three weeks. To God be the glory I overcame all of that. I too am having night sweets. The chemo took out all of hair so now I am bald headed. And all through the night my head is soaking wet. I have to get up several times through the night and wipe my head. I asked my onc and the states it is hot flashes. Okay now, during the day my head be sweeting and from my arms down be cold. So i am having hot/cold flashes.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:26 PM   #11
DianneS

Hi Cynthia,

I guess chemo affects hormones, including estrogen, which is responsible for night sweats and hot flashes. I seemed to get more of them when I was taking herceptin but they are wearing off a bit since I finished that in Sept. Now I have just begun taking Tamoxifen for the estrogen positive bc - so probably more sweating...good thing I live in Canada, where it's cold!

It's normal to have cold and hot flashes if you are going thru premenopause....have you talked to your doctor about it?

When I was going thru menopause a few years before the bc treatment I read some things that can help.

One is to avoid drinking hot beverages -try tepid. Avoid caffeine. Wear 100% cotton nightwear (it breathes) and 100% cotton sheets. I wear mostly cotton clothing or another natural like wool....layer your clothing so you can peel it off in a hurry :0 also they say avoiding alcohol can help because it does raise your blood pressure and body temp. I've been drinking non alcoholic beer and wine occassionally. Not the same thing for sure, but I'm not into drinking anyway. I don't get the flushed face from it.

Thank goodness you're done with the chemo. Congrats for sticking with it, even though you were so sick.

What kind of chemo did you get?

Herceptin made me tired most of the time and made my eyes watery too. Not to mention bowel problems. How many more do you have?

Dianne
ER+ weakly positive
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Old 11-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #12
cynthia1962

The kind of treatments I was taking were carboplatin and taxotere. Now I am just taking herceptin and also taking the tamoxifen. does anyone have problems with taking the tamoxifen.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:36 PM   #13
DianneS

I took the same regimen, TCH. I just started Tamoxifen today and I'd like to know if anyone has problems with it, too. So far I feel nothing. How long does it take to kick in?

Dianne

Cynthia - I hated the taxotere too; I had an allergic reaction every time. I did 5.5 sessions of that stuff and each time they had to mix up a different 'cocktail' to get my body to accept it. Fun stuff. My sessions were 10 hours long because they had to go so slow.
ER+ weakly positive
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Old 11-08-2009, 07:25 PM   #14
Yorkiegirl

When Chemo put me into Chemopause, I started with the Hot Flashes and Night Sweats, to this day now I still have these Hot Flashes and Night sweats. I have tried many different things to try and help, but nothing has worked.

At my last Onc appt, I begged to have to some Low Dose Estrogen, Nope they wouldn't do it, eben tho I am ER/PR NEGATIVE. I have almost zero estrogen in my system.

I wnet into memopause at 48 due to teh chemo. AWWW well I guess we live with we have to. But i sure don't like it. LOL
MRM 4-5-05 w/ 2 tumor's 5cm, and 6 cm (right side)
IDC (poorly differentiated infiltrating ductual carcinoma)
5+/16 nodes
Stage III A
Grade 3
ER/PR-, Her2/neu ++
Ki67 78%
Begin Chemo 5-2-05 4XAC Dose Dense , 4X Abraxane Dose Dense (ended August 05)
28 Rad's ended October 13 2005
Started Herceptin Weekly August 2005 for one year
Had a Simple mastectomy left side after Mamo showed incresed micro-calcifications. Jan. 17 2006.
Brain MRI Feb.2006--All Clear
August 28, 2006 Last Weekly Herceptin.
October 2006--Colonoscopy, 6 Polyp's removed--all B9
PET Scan July 2007
Abdominal MRI Oct. 2007---2 Right Kidney Cysts
Core Biopsy-- Lump on Scar Line 1-10-08---B9
Brain MRI 6-2008--All Clear
PET/CT Scan 6-2008
Sept. 8 2008, 4CM area removed from mastectomy scar line. Proved to be B9.
PET/CT Scan-- July 2009 --All clear
August 17,2009 ---Had Port Removed
6 Years NED -- April 5,2011
DX'd with Melanoma left arm 10-10-2011
Yorkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:28 PM   #15
pmm10414

Herceptin causes me to get sweats and cold. I notice that if I am distracted I am less likely to have this happen. Eating seems to make it worse. I have converted to cotton PJ's and Hoodies. I read an article that hypnosis has done some good. Good luck!
CHANGED TO STAGE IIIA AFTER MRI
SURGURY FOR TWO PET SCAN NODES IN CHEST NEGATIVE (DEC08)
AC (4 COMPLETE MAR09)
TAXOL HERCEPTIN (12 TREATMENTS COMPLETE IN JUN09 )
SURGERY IN JUN09 - COMPLETE RESPONSE (BOTH BREASTS NEG AND 9/9 LYMPH NODES NEG) NED
HERCEPTIN RESTARTED IN JUL09 WEEKLY UNTIL JUL10
PET SCAN - NEGATIVE DEC11 AND AUG09
BRAC - NEGATIVE SEP09
28 RADS COMPLETE SEP09
BONE SCAN - NEGATIVE MAR10
PET SCAN - NEGATIVE DEC11
PET SCAN - SARCOIDOSIS OCT11 thought cancer was back thank The Lord it is not they think!!!!!!
pmm10414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:52 PM   #16
DianneS

hi yorkiegirl,

My understanding of the ER+ or ER- is this:

If your estrogen cells are receptive, or receive estrogen blocking medication/anticancer hormone blocking therapy, such as Tamoxifen or one of the AI's, then you are considered "ER+". If, on the other hand, the estrogen in your body is not receptive to hormone blocking therapy, you are considered "ER-". Some of us are weakly ER+ (me) so the Tamoxifen I am on will not help me as much as a person who has highly receptive estrogen cells that absorb hormone blocking therapy. Everyone produces estrogen, even when postmenopausal tho it may be in very small quantities. Our livers produce estrogen, not just ovaries.

Estrogen can be one of the 'engines' that get together with other cancers to make tumours. So blocking estrogen is a good thing if one has a breast cancer that is also hormone dependent. That is why your doctor does not want to give you MORE estrogen. ER- does not mean your body has no estrogen, just that it is not receptive to hormone therapy.

Since I am only weakly ER+ I try to avoid anything with soy in it. Don't take any over the counter meds that promise to help with hot flashes. Most contain soy derivatives. I still swear that's how I got the bc by taking that stuff in 2007...that, and using VagiFem and Estrace.

Somebody please correct me here if I'm wrong but that is my understanding of ER+/ER-. I do remember some stuff about cell structures from an anatomy class for nursing years ago and I know cells have something like little keys in them and if a hormone therapy is working well, it's like the lock for the key...disables the cell, thus disabling the potential cancer.

Also, yorkiegirl, hot flashes can and do last for years. Don't give up trying what may work for you to help you. I have heard that Effexor helps but I am unwilling to take more meds. Meditation helps, no caffeine, etc. And time!
Diannes
ER+ weakly positive
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Old 11-19-2009, 03:54 PM   #17
pmm10414

I sweat even when I am receiving the treatment. I have found tylenol and pepcid helps me in the short term. It gets less as week progresses but I take it weekly so that gives just a little relief before I start all over again. Veggie juice seems to help me (maybe just psychologically).
AC (4 COMPLETE MAR09)
SURGERY IN JUN09 - COMPLETE RESPONSE (BOTH BREASTS NEG AND 9/9 LYMPH NODES NEG) NED
BRAC - NEGATIVE SEP09
28 RADS COMPLETE SEP09
PET SCAN - SARCOIDOSIS OCT11 thought cancer was back thank The Lord it is not they think!!!!!!
Old 03-22-2010, 12:09 AM   #18
Angelo1

keep it up man very well post. i wish you Good Luck for your better Future
Old 05-13-2010, 02:55 AM   #19
pibikay

My wife starts profuse sweating about a week after her herceptin
pibikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:14 PM   #20
pmm10414

My sweats actually start while I am receiving Herceptin many times. I am now on number 57 of 64. I still get sweats and chills, joints ache, and gi problems sometimes. That is why I am on weekly
AC (4 COMPLETE MAR09)
BRAC - NEGATIVE SEP09
28 RADS COMPLETE SEP09