HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-16-2004, 09:21 AM   #1
Pam P

History: dx ibc 6/01; mastectomy, chemo, rad. 9/02 dx with bone mets. Various treatments, but currently have been on navelbine, herceptin & zometa for 6 months. Feeling good, little side effects. Last PET scan about 6 weeks ago showed slight improvement in bone mets, everything else clear.

I saw my onc. today. Physical exam went fine; he said I looked good & thought I was doing well on this chemo. At the end of our appointment, he said, "one more thing. my last 'liver function' blood test was borderline abnormal." Of course this freaked me out. It was the end of app't I I couldn't get my thoughts together. He said it was 142 & normal, I think he said is up to 136. So he didn't think it alarming since it was "borderline". (He wasn't alarmed either when bone scan was non-specific abnormal spot that confirmed bone mets on mri.) To my knowledge my liver function tests have always been normal before.

I do have some slight on-& off discomfort in my stomach, some on right side.... I don't think it's a new symptom. But of course NOW the ache is severe & I can't tell what's real or what's nervousness. I'm so afraid of learning this is progressing to the liver too.

Questions - does this liver function blood test just look for cancer, or could it be something else? have others had borderline or abnormal readings & it's turned out not to be liver mets? Other info I should be asking about?

The blood test is going to be repeated, but now the waiting is, well, I can't really describe it, it's just paralzying.

Thanks. Pam

Old 07-16-2004, 10:17 AM   #2
michele u

Pam,
Don't worry about one test. My liver tests went way out of wack when i was dx.They didn't see anything on scans. They thought I might have hepatitis being a nurse. Well, ended up it was probably an antibiotic I was on for infection. When I stopped taking it, my counts went down to normal and never been back up. Liver tests are not specific to cancer at all. Like I said drugs, viruses and alot of other things can make your live tests whacky. The only way to know for sure is a scan. I wouldn't worry!!
Old 07-16-2004, 11:34 AM   #3
Steph N

Hi Pam -
If you had a PET scan just 6 weeks ago and nothing showed except for some places in your bones - your med onc is probably basing his advice of not worrying on this test.
As a survivor of major liver mets, I can tell you that liver mets are not hard to find - easier to see than bones, for example.

Your upper bowel can cause some discomfort in the right side if there is any kind of constipation.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:28 PM   #4
Christine

Pam
Don't be alarmed there are many drugs that causes elevation of liver values, not only cancer, but also some chemotherapy and other medications taken for differentpurposes and blood liver values must be checked to continue the drug.
A repeat test will give the Onc a better feel for what's happening.
Michelle, thank you
Old 07-17-2004, 02:28 AM   #5
Barbara

There are many drugs and chemos that can cause elevated liver enzymes. My alkaline Phosphatase, ALT and AST all went up well above the normal high on chemo. My alkaline phosphatase went over 200. Then my CA 27-29 went up. After finishing chemo they all went back to normal. Alkaline phosphatase does often go up with bone mets. Keep your hope up.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:59 AM   #6
Pam P

Thank you all for your responses. I'm still panicking --- can't seem to get the stress under control. But all your words of advice & insights help a lot. Thanks. Pam