HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-09-2014, 12:11 AM   #1
ConcernedStu

Really scared please help

Hello, a loved one was diagnosed with locally advanced, possibly inflammatory breast cancer last march (IIIB er+ pr- Her2+). She had had stage one er+pr+ her2- bc dx in late 2007.This new cancer diagnoses came just after 5 years of Femara finished. She completed neoadjuvant ACTH, Mrm, and rads. Here's the problem I have: Ok so because a new primary formed the onc felt that the AI was ineffective. Due to this she decided to put her on tamoxifen, as it has a different mechanism of action than AIs. I thought this made sense. So she's been on tamoxifen and herceptin since completing all neoadjuvant chemo (since November). I thought nothing of this, but there are 1 or 2 studies saying tamoxifen and herceptin may not work well together (they may actually make the cancer more aggressive, but there are only one or two pre clinical studies of this out there). We are getting a second opinion within a moth, but by that point the year of herceptin is over 50% done. So is there anyone out here who have been on both at the same time and done well? A second less pressing question I have is that she received herceptin every 3 weeks with taxotere, not weekly like some others. Anyone else had herceptin every 3 weeks with neoadjuvant chemo? But please, if you were on tamoxifen and herceptin at the same time, let me hear you.

Adding this now: She is also pr- and tamoxifen was only found to reduce recurrence considerably in er+ and pr- cancer, while only having slight positive effects on er+ pr-. This second opinion is at a really good hospital, but I'm worried about the fact that if the second opinion onc disagrees and changes it to an AI, this 5 or 6 month period on tamoxifen will have really negative consequences, despite no really noticeable differences appearing until after a year or so. Someone please tell me I'm worrying too much lol.
ConcernedStu is offline   Reply With Quote